Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leader set up for boat lough fishing

Options
  • 10-10-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi guys, quick question can someone please explain the set up used for leaders on loughs ehen fishing wets. I am using a 7 weight ten foot rod. Mostly use a 12 foot 8lb fluoro cast with about 3.5 feet between each fly. Should the cast be longer? Should i have taper/ butt section? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi guys, quick question can someone please explain the set up used for leaders on loughs ehen fishing wets. I am using a 7 weight ten foot rod. Mostly use a 12 foot 8lb fluoro cast with about 3.5 feet between each fly. Should the cast be longer? Should i have taper/ butt section? Thanks in advance

That's pretty much what I use, except I don't like fluoro for multi-fly casts, so I use 6-8lb Maxima for wetfly. I don't have any problem with turnover when using a team of flies. I'd use a tapered leader when fishing a dry fly, especially small dries in calm conditions, to aid turnover and presentation. Usually a 9ft leader tapered to 0.2mm with maybe 3-4ft tippet of 0.1-0.2mm depending on fly size and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Zzippy wrote:
    That's pretty much what I use, except I don't like fluoro for multi-fly casts, so I use 6-8lb Maxima for wetfly. I don't have any problem with turnover when using a team of flies. I'd use a tapered leader when fishing a dry fly, especially small dries in calm conditions, to aid turnover and presentation. Usually a 9ft leader tapered to 0.2mm with maybe 3-4ft tippet of 0.1-0.2mm depending on fly size and conditions.

Thanks , was thinking of using a standard mono tapered leader cut back to about 8 feet and then adding approx 8 feet of fluoro? Would that be just daft?

Thanks , was thinking of using a standard mono tapered leader cut back to about 8 feet and then adding approx 8 feet of fluoro? Would that be just daft?

It will be fine, but to be honest, I think it's a waste of a tapered leader. 16 feet is too long for me too, I generally fish 10-12 foot leader on a 10ft rod. Too long a leader and it makes it really awkward landing a fish on the tail fly. Exception would be buzzer fishing, but we're talking about wet fly fishing here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I generally fish about 15 feet for wet fly and 20+ for dries.
    If you have a boat partner then netting fish is not an issue.
    I'd agree though, a tapered leader would be a waste, you fish with the wind at your back which aids your turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Funny the differences out there. I always fish 7 ft between the three flies which makes for a leader of over 20 ft! Wouldn't recommend it for anyone else though.

• Advertisement

viper123 wrote: »
    Funny the differences out there. I always fish 7 ft between the three flies which makes for a leader of over 20 ft! Wouldn't recommend it for anyone else though.

7ft, wow. Would be interesting to fish 2 rods in the boat with those setups and see if it affected catch rates. I'd fish a long fluoro leader for buzzer fishing, but never anything over 12-14ft for wetfly.

Advertisement