Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elefant Rally... experience and advice required

• 10-10-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I am giving this rally some consideration. Has anyone done it? Is it possible on a VFR800 Fi from Ireland? I think I will try and get something more suitable, suggestions welcome.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Something I've a notion of doing, think a sidecar would be better..... However I'd say a traily type bike with knobblies would do nicely, have a search of motorcycle news website a few of there lads did a year or two ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

7c05b6e5a25ccc88c0642bb51f642744.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

serious3 wrote: »
    have a search of motorcycle news website a few of there lads did a year or two ago

Found this one, it made me smile. Not going sidecar route, too much investment.
    Looks like a light solo that is easy to pick up but enough grunt for the motorway stints might be the job. But then it's better to do a trip on a bike you know.... and I wouldn't get overly upset at the VFR falling over a couple of times, better than chucking a €10K GS down the road... I dunno.. ABS would be nice to have and heated grips..

The roads looked clear, just the campsite looked tricky (famous last words :roll eyes: )

That's the article I was thinking of! When are you thinking of going? Next year? Or 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Was thinking for 2017 but I am bottling it already.... only about 30% commitment at this stage. I watched a couple more videos, guys having to turn back because of the snow... there seemed to be a lot of misery attached LOL, but I guess that is the challenge. The mud is a downer.

3 wheels for sure makes sense but not really an option for me. I have a vision of picking up the VFR for the 5th time and just breaking down crying!! LOL, then I started thinking maybe the Faro would be another option but sure you'd have to contend with the bugs and creepy crawlies then!

I have a bike weekend coming up in November and will throw it out then and see if anyone licks it up... there are sidecar outfit owners in the group who aren't getting any younger and I think it might be on the bucket list for some...

No doubt possible and enjoyable if the weather was favourable. I will dig out Long Way Round and Long Way Down DVD's for a bit of inspiration :-)

• Advertisement

Keep me in mind for November, I don't mind a bit of cold or wet or wind or misery....

Advertisement