Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Istick pico charging batteries with USB cable?

• 10-10-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all, so the pico finally arrived but I'm waiting for a battery charger.

Is there any reason NOT to charge in the device with the USB cable?

If seen people say you are better to charge with a charger, but is there an actual danger / risk in charging through the device?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I don't think it's a problem with single battery mods. It's more dual or treble 18650 devices require a separate balanced charger. You want the batteries to be in sync at all times, you don't want lag on one while the other is full, can cause issues. With a single 18650 you're only relying on that one unit, I think it's fine. I have been charging my dual batt Alien via usb, but that mod has on board balanced charging, so acts just like a separate charger. Having no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Brilliant thanks.

So aiming at around 10-15 w to start with the 1.0 coil.

would I be looking at the "VW" mode for this?

Menoetius wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks.

So aiming at around 10-15 w to start with the 1.0 coil.

would I be looking at the "VW" mode for this?

It'll be called power mode on newer mods. Pre-update the Pico used to show the volts on screen too, in that case in around 4 - 4.2 volts, no matter the watts usually suits me. If it's been updated, and doesn't have the volts on display, then it's trial and error to see what suits you or use the ohm's law calculator:

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

You only need enter 2 pieces of info, we know the coil resistance, so enter 1 there, and like I say, 4 - 4.2 volts is a good starting point, then hit calculate. Adjust it to suit.

For a 1ohm coil you're good between 15 - 17w

It'll be called power mode on newer mods. Pre-update the Pico used to show the volts on screen too, in that case in around 4 - 4.2 volts, no matter the watts usually suits me. If it's been updated, and doesn't have the volts on display, then it's trial and error to see what suits you or use the ohm's law calculator:

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

You only need enter 2 pieces of info, we know the coil resistance, so enter 1 there, and like I say, 4 - 4.2 volts is a good starting point, then hit calculate. Adjust it to suit.

For a 1ohm coil you're good between 15 - 17w

So it FINALLY arrived and I'm loving it.

However I'm starting out at 11W, will this damage the coil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

What is the resistance on the coil...

• Advertisement

No, lower is always safer :) it's when you go higher than specified you risk burning the coil, which you'd know about instantly as that vape will be rank!

What coils are you using? Like I say, for a 1 ohm coil, you're safe in around the 12-17w mark. But if 11w feels good to you, then that's fine. If it's a 0.5ohm coil you can push right up to 30w no bother.

cheers folks, it's 1.0ohm so good to go.

Might it work up a few watts but loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Hi all, so the pico finally arrived but I'm waiting for a battery charger.

Is there any reason NOT to charge in the device with the USB cable?

If seen people say you are better to charge with a charger, but is there an actual danger / risk in charging through the device?
    The only real reason that I've found not to charge via the port is that the port can break pretty fast. Despite the same kind being used on phones, they are normally mounted in mods horizontally rather than vertically which "flexes" more, breaking them a whole lot faster. The Pico is no exception. 5573600-4.jpg
    I've broken two micro USB connectors on devices and I don't charge via the port too often unless I'm out and about and using a power bank - wouldn't be much point as I go through about 5 batteries a day.
    IMHO nothing beats a "real" charger and at least one spare battery and leave the USB alone for firmware updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

If charging by usb, a 1 amp adaptor is best for prolonging battery life and maximising performance.

Advertisement