Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Party Forster Street Sat Oct 15th

Options
  • 10-10-2016 11:53am

Apologies if this is not the right place for this, but thought it was a good fit.

Seems the pubs that have branded themselves as "East Village" have organised for Foster Street to be closed to traffic on Saturday afternoon, and they are hosting a street party/fan zone for the Connacht vs Toulouse match.

The fan zone opens at 3:30 until 8:30

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Gets a bit of buzz around the town. They'll have a big screen for the match. Considering the council couldn't get something setup for the Pro 12 final last May, this is also a good thing.

What are people's thoughts? I'll definitely pay it a visit

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I mentioned this was an event on the street on that day...and got told off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Seems a bit mad to close down a major traffic route just so the Pucan can sell a few more pints.

I'll avoid it, I expect it'll be a diet version of Quay Street during Race Week.

Closing the road to facilitate legalised mass drug-taking, in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I guess the Grass Appreciation Society wouldnt like to have a screen anywhere their precious, so this is an alternative.

At least buses can go thru the bus station, but it'll be a traffic pita for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I live in the apartments next to an pucan. Well thats my saturday ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I think it's a brilliant idea. I'll definitely pop down on my way to the match.

empacher wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone could live near The Pucan. It's basically a noisier, more middle class version of Fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a link to this event? I cannae find anything on google

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone could live near The Pucan. It's basically a noisier, more middle class version of Fibbers.

I dont enjoy it but im paying 220 for a double room en suite. Half the market value really. Still get woken up 3 nights a week at 3am woth kegs being put out, and again at 6am with fresh ones being delivered.

Luckily im a nightowl. So mid week isnt to bad. But weekends its noisy till 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I dont enjoy it but im paying 220 for a double room en suite. Half the market value really. Still get woken up 3 nights a week at 3am woth kegs being put out, and again at 6am with fresh ones being delivered.

Luckily im a nightowl. So mid week isnt to bad. But weekends its noisy till 3am.

Living in a city centre has it's pros and cons. You don't need to explain it. There's always the country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm looking forward although there is a good chance of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Galway needs to stop appropriating area names from other places that just don't fit here. "The Latin Quarter" was embarrassing enough, although I realise that it started as a joke. "The West End" is cringey; The East Village" is positively ridiculous.

Just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Well I guess the Grass Appreciation Society wouldnt like to have a screen anywhere their precious, so this is an alternative.

What exactly is your problem with people wanting to do the must natural thing in the world such as sitting on grass on a fine day?

Your "grass appreciation society" trolling is really staying to annoy me now. I make no apologies for wanting the grass in Eyre sq to be left alone in Dec so that when we get a couple of weeks nice weather around Paddys weekend and if we're lucky we might get a week or 3 in May June or July, that we can all sit down for 5 mins or an hour or 2 to soak up the sun and have the craic if the opportunity arises. Obviously having the craic is entirely optional and subjective, I personally enjoy Eyre sq a lot more in the few weeks of bright warm summer than freezing cold wet damp december and guess what, I'm not alone in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great stuff - events and gatherings like this give a bit of life and sense of community to the city.

The motorists get to use that road for most of the year (mostly in the form of parked cars blocking up the bus lane every day) so why not change it's function for a day. City space should be adaptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Eeden wrote: »
    Galway needs to stop appropriating area names from other places that just don't fit here. "The Latin Quarter" was embarrassing enough, although I realise that it started as a joke. "The West End" is cringey; The East Village" is positively ridiculous.

Just stop.

It's weird, but I've always called the area past the Wolfe Tone bridge and down towards Massimo's, the West End when talking to people. Have done for years, even before the 'official' branding, so it's not a problem for me. Latin Quarter, meh... That's for el turistas. East Village is redonkulous, sounds like we're talking about New York or some other metropolis on that scale. :confused:
    pure.conya wrote: »
    What exactly is your problem with people wanting to do the must natural thing in the world such as sitting on grass on a fine day?

Your "grass appreciation society" trolling is really staying to annoy me now. I make no apologies for wanting the grass in Eyre sq to be left alone in Dec so that when we get a couple of weeks nice weather around Paddys weekend and if we're lucky we might get a week or 3 in May June or July, that we can all sit down for 5 mins or an hour or 2 to soak up the sun and have the craic if the opportunity arises. Obviously having the craic is entirely optional and subjective, I personally enjoy Eyre sq a lot more in the few weeks of bright warm summer than freezing cold wet damp december and guess what, I'm not alone in that regard.

Please, I actually can't handle any more of this grass discussion, especially outside of the original thread; so for the love of God people, please keep this thread on topic.

A lot of Connacht supporters I've spoken to are quite excited for this event, as they feel like they missed out slightly during the Pro-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the screen was placed at the bottom of Eyre Square, facing upwards, a lot more people would be able to see it, and the city's traffic would not need to be disrupted.

But no, obviously there's some reason why something to sensible isn't possible. I wonder what that reason could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A lot of Connaught supporters I've spoken to are quite excited for this event, as they feel like they missed out slightly during the Pro-12.

The Pro12 final was great - all these little bars, pop-up food stalls, no traffic, sitting on the grass soaking in the atmosphere... oh wait, that was outside the stadium! :D

BTW, it's Connacht... ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    BTW, it's Connacht... ;)

raw

Fixed now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

grass appreciation society....haha...nice one.

• Advertisement

Without going off topic too much,

* The reason that the road is been used, rather than the square, seems to me, is because of the pubs. They're the one's organising this, and absorbing the costs, in hope to make it back from sales of drink.
    The council have granted them permission, and to be honest, I can only see this as a positive (Connacht tinted glasses on).
    Galway folk are generally very welcoming, and this will hopefully help build up an atmosphere, for a hugely important rugby match for Connacht. If Connacht win, and casual fans enjoy themselves, then more people continue to go to games, and sales in the pubs increase

* I have no issue with the pubs trying to brand an area. I think it has worked well. We have "The West", "The Latin Quarter", and now "East Village". Even Salthill has gotten involved, and are trying to brand themselves as "The Village"

If this helps the businesses in these locations make more money, stay open, and create jobs, what is the harm?

Back on subject, I realised I incorrectly spelled Forster Street, and can't change it in the title

..Back on subject, I realised I incorrectly spelled Forster Street, and can't change it in the title
    I observe.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I observe.

It may not have been an actual spelling mistake, but rather, after 32years of living in Galway, I reliased I always thought it was Foster Street

Is fixed now! :D

Without going off topic too much,

* The reason that the road is been used, rather than the square, seems to me, is because of the pubs. They're the one's organising this, and absorbing the costs, in hope to make it back from sales of drink.
    The council have granted them permission, and to be honest, I can only see this as a positive (Connacht tinted glasses on).
    Galway folk are generally very welcoming, and this will hopefully help build up an atmosphere, for a hugely important rugby match for Connacht. If Connacht win, and casual fans enjoy themselves, then more people continue to go to games, and sales in the pubs increase

If The Pucan wanted to sell more drink, they could teach those useless bar staff how to correctly tender a bar. I've never seen pints get served so slowly while so many people are working behind the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I find the staff in an pucan to be some of the best . Friendly and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Rabbits > Pucan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anyone else out and about for this?. They badly needed a railing corridor for people heading away from the square but it worked better than i thought it would tbh. Good atmosphere around and Connacht win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

What a win it was too. Brilliant. Great atmosphere all around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Anyone have any pics of Forster Street this evening

Advertisement