Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth buying a kick stand?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I'm between a rock and a hard place deciding if to put a kick stand on my hybrid.
    Worth putting one on? Not sure I'd have a lot of use for it when I can just lean the bike against something.
    For the sake of maybe saving the bar ends from scratches I thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I would save your money and not bother. There's always something to lean a bike against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

It depends, if you're loading heavy panniers or affixing a trailer or loading a wriggly child onto a seat, then a kick stand is a very useful addition. If it's just a parking issue, not so useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It depends, if you're loading heavy panniers or affixing a trailer or loading a wriggly child onto a seat, then a kick stand is a very useful addition. If it's just a parking issue, not so useful.
    A kickstand is very useful in those circumstances (I use heavy panniers quite a bit, and two types of trailer), but personally I find it generally useful. I wouldn't be without one now. All three of my bikes have a kickstand or something like it (e.g. first fold of the Brompton allows the bike to stand on its own).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

They're very handy in fairness. Maybe not very cool on a roadbike but very handy for little stops along the way to take a photo or check something on the bike or even take a phonecall.

I got one off Amazon as Halfords didn't have what I wanted. I got a lovely adjustable black one that can fit the thick chain stays of a hybrid/mountain bike.

It is called BV Bicycle Alloy Adjustable Kickstand.

It is a single leg but you can also get double legs for heavier bikes. About €12.

Advertisement