Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which airline do you recommend?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I am hoping to go to Australia on a 3/4 week holiday next year and I am just wondering which airline would you recommend? Any good or bad stories? I am not pushed who I travel with but would like some recommendations please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am hoping to go to Australia on a 3/4 week holiday next year and I am just wondering which airline would you recommend? Any good or bad stories? I am not pushed who I travel with but would like some recommendations please.

Hope to go in October 2017 myself. Malaysian seems to be the cheapest but I don't think i'll go with them, i'd like to actually get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

s15r330 wrote: »
    Hope to go in October 2017 myself. Malaysian seems to be the cheapest but I don't think i'll go with them, i'd like to actually get there!

Lol ;)
    Was there much difference in the price?
    I priced some dates and for some they were actually dearer lol! BA and Etihad nearly came out best with Emirates not too far behind. I didn't check all the airlines though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Emirates and Etihad are the only two airlines which can fly you from Dublin to Australia with just one transfer. In my experience that make a huge difference to the degree of exhaustion/jetlag you will suffer, and in a 3/4 week holiday it's a false economy to spend a large part of the first week recovering from the journey out. Even if they cost a few shillings more than two-transfer options, it's well worth it.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Emirates and Etihad are the only two airlines which can fly you from Dublin to Australia with just one transfer. In my experience that make a huge difference to the degree of exhaustion/jetlag you will suffer, and in a 3/4 week holiday it's a false economy to spend a large part of the first week recovering from the journey out. Even if they cost a few shillings more than two-transfer options, it's well worth it.

Thanks for that Peregrinus, I'll be going from Cork so it would mean 3 hours on the Air Coach at either side. So I don't know if that's of much benefit to me but it's definitely worth looking in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Lol ;)
    Was there much difference in the price?
    I priced some dates and for some they were actually dearer lol! BA and Etihad nearly came out best with Emirates not too far behind. I didn't check all the airlines though.

I checked a while back, to Perth was 850ish with them. Etihad were an extra 100-150ish at the time I think.

• Advertisement

s15r330 wrote: »
    I checked a while back, to Perth was 850ish with them. Etihad were an extra 100-150ish at the time I think.

They're not bad prices at all.
    I'll be going Cork to Sydney, seems like it'll be in and around €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Emirates definitely. Singapore airlines after. And I've been 20 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

amtc wrote: »
    Emirates definitely. Singapore airlines after. And I've been 20 times...

I'll echo Emirates, I've done Emirates, Etihad, BA and Qantas. Emirates was the most comfortable and best flight times and only one stop. Etihad would be my second choice

Thanks amtc and duffman. I would like to fly Emirates and I don't mind paying a bit extra but if it's 3 or 4 hundred more then I probably won't.
    Is there any airline ye would avoid?

Etihad....rationed wine to one glass. I wasn't looking to get hammered but I would have liked two. Also Abu Dhabi so much more anti women than Dubai.

Others are all codeshare so doesn't really matter. Went through Paris or Frankfurt last few times rather than Heathrow.

• Advertisement

If you ring Trailfinders they are pretty good at finding options for you. I got 1108 yesterday for New Year Emirates

If you ring Trailfinders they are pretty good at finding options for you. I got 1108 yesterday for New Year Emirates

Thanks a mill for all the help amtc. That's a very good price :)
    I'll be flying from Cork so I don't think there's any options with just one stop.
    Do you always book through a travel agent or do you book with the airline direct?
    Sorry for all the questions, I've never been to Australia before and I'm just trying to figure out my best options.

Travel agents have better bargaining power. Booking direct always more expensive. Not like Ryanair...need to change mindset. Plus I had to cancel in 2010 due to snow in Dublin and got complete no quibbles refund. Make sure you do your visa free on line...some agents charge.

Where are you off to in Aus?

Rather than aircoach from Cork...why not fly to Dublin if Emirates or to London if BA/Singapore...You can book luggage all way through

Travel agents have better bargaining power. Booking direct always more expensive. Not like Ryanair...need to change mindset. Plus I had to cancel in 2010 due to snow in Dublin and got complete no quibbles refund. Make sure you do your visa free on line...some agents charge.

Where are you off to in Aus?

That's great to know, thanks a million :) I always just presumed they'd be more expensive when they add in their own fee.
    Can you send me the link for the visa please?
    I'm going to Sydney.

I don't think there are any flights from Cork to Dublin anymore. When I looked up Emirates, Etihad and BA they all flew from Cork to UK, then Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Singapore and then on to Syndey. The shortest seemed to be in around 28 hours which I guess isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That's great to know, thanks a million :) I always just presumed they'd be more expensive when they add in their own fee.
    Can you send me the link for the visa please?
    I'm going to Sydney.

I don't think there are any flights from Cork to Dublin anymore. When I looked up Emirates, Etihad and BA they all flew from Cork to UK, then Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Singapore and then on to Syndey. The shortest seemed to be in around 28 hours which I guess isn't too bad.

If you're getting a bus to Dublin, I'd recommend staying in a BNB or cheap accommodation of some sort the night before, a bus journey of 3 hours is tiring as it is, you don't want to be facing into a 7 hour flight after it.

Having done the trip myself during the summer with Etihad, I would highly recommend booking an aisle seat in an emergency exit, yes it will cost extra but when you're sitting on a stuffy plane for 14 hours you'll realise it was the best money you've ever spent.

When I was looking into prices, Malaysian airlines was far cheaper but had a stop in London for 8 hours and another in Kuala Lumpur for 6. Avoid this like the plague, I learned that you're better off going for as smooth a flight path as possible, so Emirates or Etihad is the best.

thelad95 wrote: »
    If you're getting a bus to Dublin, I'd recommend staying in a BNB or cheap accommodation of some sort the night before, a bus journey of 3 hours is tiring as it is, you don't want to be facing into a 7 hour flight after it.

Having done the trip myself during the summer with Etihad, I would highly recommend booking an aisle seat in an emergency exit, yes it will cost extra but when you're sitting on a stuffy plane for 14 hours you'll realise it was the best money you've ever spent.

When I was looking into prices, Malaysian airlines was far cheaper but had a stop in London for 8 hours and another in Kuala Lumpur for 6. Avoid this like the plague, I learned that you're better off going for as smooth a flight path as possible, so Emirates or Etihad is the best.

Chhers thelad95, I don't think I'll go down the bus route at all. I really want to land back in Cork, I live about 10 minutes from the airport so I would much prefer to fly back here.

Thanks for the advice re seat, I never would have thought of that either!

No, I will definitely be looking at the shortest length of time possible and don't mind paying extra, I certainly don't want to spend 2 days travelling!

Did you fly from Cork or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Chhers thelad95, I don't think I'll go down the bus route at all. I really want to land back in Cork, I live about 10 minutes from the airport so I would much prefer to fly back here.

Thanks for the advice re seat, I never would have thought of that either!

No, I will definitely be looking at the shortest length of time possible and don't mind paying extra, I certainly don't want to spend 2 days travelling!

Did you fly from Cork or Dublin?

I flew Dublin-Abu Dhabi and then Abu-Dhabi to Sydney, naively choosing the aisle seat the whole way there! By the way, Abu Dhabi airport was not a fun experience, we only had two hours between flights and they decided to search all of our belongings eating up over half an hour. I'm not gonna say they discriminate against Westerners but you can draw your own conclusions from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Rather than aircoach from Cork...why not fly to Dublin if Emirates or to London if BA/Singapore...You can book luggage all way through

Don't think there is anyone left flying Cork-DUB anymore?

Oh it doesn't cost extra for an aisle seat. Again change your mindset. This is not a Ryanair thing where you pay by seat! Maybe book your meals when booking. Just to be sure you can have meat...nothing worse than fish and noodles for brekkie.

For travel visa just google temporary Eta visa. Make sure your name exactly as on passport, I got held in Perth as my middle name not on visa.

• Advertisement

Oh it doesn't cost extra for an aisle seat. Again change your mindset. This is not a Ryanair thing where you pay by seat! Maybe book your meals when booking. Just to be sure you can have meat...nothing worse than fish and noodles for brekkie.

For travel visa just google temporary Eta visa. Make sure your name exactly as on passport, I got held in Perth as my middle name not on visa.

Thanks guys, I'm kinda put off going with Etihad now. Hopefully I'll get a good enough price with Emirates :)
    Great idea about the meals amtc, I don't like fish at all so must remember to do that while booking!
    Thanks so much for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I recommend Cork to Amsterdam then AMS to either Singapore/Kuala Lumpur/Hong Kong/Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Doha/Tokyo/Shanghai/Guangzhou or Beijing. All the above cities have direct flights to most AU cities and although 3 flights total, have great connection times. KL and Guangzhou will likely be cheapest.

The benefit of connecting in Amsterdam airport over a U.K. one is huge as minimum connection time is only 50 minutes compared to 3 hours in Heathrow.

At the end of the day, there is very little difference in economy from one airline to the next. Just gotta suck it up and get through it!

Also most airlines have at least one western meal option so don't stress about that.

Batgurl wrote: »
    I recommend Cork to Amsterdam then AMS to either Singapore/Kuala Lumpur/Hong Kong/Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Doha/Tokyo/Shanghai/Guangzhou or Beijing. All the above cities have direct flights to most AU cities and although 3 flights total, have great connection times. KL and Guangzhou will likely be cheapest.

The benefit of connecting in Amsterdam airport over a U.K. one is huge as minimum connection time is only 50 minutes compared to 3 hours in Heathrow.

At the end of the day, there is very little difference in economy from one airline to the next. Just gotta suck it up and get through it!

Also most airlines have at least one western meal option so don't stress about that.

Thanks Batgurl. Do you know which airline flies that route? Is it just KLM?
    The only thing that would put me off that option is in January I flew Cork - Amsterdam - Doha and our luggage never turned up in Doha so I was wondering is that a regular occurrence due to the short connection time.

Advertisement