Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Caution

• 10-10-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there folks.

This isn't my proudest moment but I am finding it quiet hard to come to a conclusive answer to my question.

On Friday night I got more drunk than I should have and my stubbornness in turn got me into trouble with the local guards. I was taken to the local station and placed in a cell for an hour till my friends found me and I was released into their custody.

The guards informed them and a very drunk me that I had been a very bold boy and because I had never been in trouble with the law before, that I would be simply getting a caution.

I understand that the citizens information website states
    "Adult cautions are not disclosed in Garda vetting reports and police certificates."

However I am about to qualify as an officer in the Merchant Navy and Background Checks are common place for Jobs and Visas, and I'm wondering if it will show up on these applications?

I would hate to think that a moment of poor judgment and heavy intoxication would scupper my entire career. Its something I have worked so hard to achieve, having just won an award form the college for my grades. It has me very concerned to be honest.

Any light you could shed or information you could provided on the matter would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 docst

ShaneW1986 wrote: »
    Hi there folks.

This isn't my proudest moment but I am finding it quiet hard to come to a conclusive answer to my question.

On Friday night I got more drunk than I should have and my stubbornness in turn got me into trouble with the local guards. I was taken to the local station and placed in a cell for an hour till my friends found me and I was released into their custody.

The guards informed them and a very drunk me that I had been a very bold boy and because I had never been in trouble with the law before, that I would be simply getting a caution.

I understand that the citizens information website states
    "Adult cautions are not disclosed in Garda vetting reports and police certificates."

However I am about to qualify as an officer in the Merchant Navy and Background Checks are common place for Jobs and Visas, and I'm wondering if it will show up on these applications?

I would hate to think that a moment of poor judgment and heavy intoxication would scupper my entire career. Its something I have worked so hard to achieve, having just won an award form the college for my grades. It has me very concerned to be honest.

Any light you could shed or information you could provided on the matter would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Shane

It's a caution not a conviction, it's a second chance so grab it with both arms! Shouldn't show up in your vetting but the Garda vetting office would be best placed to answer your question.

It won't show up. But if you are convicted in court of another offence it can be disclosed.

Your situation is the very reason it was brought in, to give people a second chance. Don't worry about it.

Advertisement