Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claim from someones else's policy

• 10-10-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

I renewed my policy recently but just realised there was a question asking if I have claimed from someone elses insurance in the last few years which I did but overlooked the question originally as I thought they were asking if I have ever claimed from my own insurance.

Any advice? Does claiming from someone elses policy increase your premium? I have not come across this before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Yes it can increase your premium and yes you have to notify them. If they do increase the premium because of it, shop around for an insurer that doesn't. It's a terrible practice and I find it crazy they are allowed to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The question is usually any 'Accidents or Claims'. Even if you were successful against a 3rd party, you were still involved in an accident which needs to be disclosed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The question is usually any 'Accidents or Claims'. Even if you were successful against a 3rd party, you were still involved in an accident which needs to be disclosed

Does this apply to drivers and passengers. .. If you get me.

Driver A (completely legitimate, completely right, completely not at fault) claims on Driver B's insurance.
    Driver A obviously must disclose this as he made the claim as a driver. He is refused a quote, or sees his premium loaded despite no claim against his own driving record/insurance.

But must Passenger A, in a taxi for example, declare this accident for the next 5 years or whatever when they go to insure themselves as a driver?
    If a passenger in a taxi will see their own driving insurance increase, where does it stop?
    If you slipped in dunnes, got given bleach instead of milk or whatever... must you declare these claims? Lost your mobile? Lightning damaged your computer?

Does this apply to drivers and passengers. .. If you get me.

Driver A (completely legitimate, completely right, completely not at fault) claims on Driver B's insurance.
    Driver A obviously must disclose this as he made the claim as a driver. He is refused a quote, or sees his premium loaded despite no claim against his own driving record/insurance.

But must Passenger A, in a taxi for example, declare this accident for the next 5 years or whatever when they go to insure themselves as a driver?
    If a passenger in a taxi will see their own driving insurance increase, where does it stop?
    If you slipped in dunnes, got given bleach instead of milk or whatever... must you declare these claims? Lost your mobile? Lightning damaged your computer?

Passengers have no part in an accident, other than being an injured independent party. The exception being that a passenger can actually be the cause of the accident

The word 'claim' is often misused in relation to insurance (including by insurance people too). The only person who ever 'claims' under an insurance policy is the policyholder. Fairly self explanatory when you damage your own car. However, if you cause an accident to a 3rd party, the policyholder claimsindemnity (funds) under his own policy to meet his obligations to the 3rd party. The 3rd party is, in fact, suing the wrongdoer for his loss. The fact that payment goes directly from the insurance company to the 3rd party is basically a safeguard that the obligation under the RTA is met

Passengers have no part in an accident, other than being an injured independent party. The exception being that a passenger can actually be the cause of the accident
    I'm not sure we are on the same page, so if you think we have misunderstood each other let me know or ask for clarification :)

In this respect, how is a "where a person was sitting in the stationary car" the difference between one person facing a loading on their premium and the other not facing it?

IE - driver + passenger in stationary car, hit through no fault of their own by a third party. Both claim from 3rd party's insurance.

Are you saying that the loading that some insurers apply ( or the blanket refusal by AIG to cover anyone who has made ANY claim, regardless of blame) only affects the innocent driver, and not the innocent passenger(s) when they all go to renew their respective policies?

• Advertisement

The driver in the parked car was involved in a motoring accident which should be disclosed to his insurers. If some companies apply a loading for that, I feel it is very unjust.

Neither the driver of the parked car or his passenger have a 'claim' if they succeed against the 3rd party. They sued the 3rd party for their loss

The everyday usage of the word claim does not reflect the process.

The driver in the parked car was involved in a motoring accident which should be disclosed to his insurers. If some companies apply a loading for that, I feel it is very unjust.

Neither the driver of the parked car or his passenger have a 'claim' if they succeed against the 3rd party. They sued the 3rd party for their loss

The everyday usage of the word claim does not reflect the process.

Can't fault what you've said there, well... mostly - I do feel the distinction of where an innocent not at fault party was sitting in a car regarding disclosure seems illogical IMHO.
    The bolded bit doesn't seem to reflect the experience of aidan_r and a few other posters recently though.

If you use the word 'claim' to an inexperienced sales person, they'll bring you down a certain route.

If I was struck while parked and recovered my loss from a 3rd party, I would disclose it to an insurer as an accident, but not a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

It seems unfair that someones premium increases when it has been proved that they were not at fault and a claim made against the person who was at fault.

Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I wonder can insurance companies legally do this or are they just pushing their luck?

Advertisement