Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to start a medical practice from home?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering on the legal requirements needed to set up a simple health practice from the front room of my house in a residential area. Not a GP, but perhaps other boutique treatments such as (for the sake of argument) Botox or other treatments that require a medical licence. I'm curious about planning permission requirements, zoning, wheelchair access, insurance and all the other things I would never have considered! Where would be the best place to get this information? I tried google searches but very little came up. I'm not sure I can afford commercial rental at the moment and basically, I would want to see if there was any interest in my services before I rent a place and quit my job to pursue my business idea.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Yes you need planning permission etc ect, can be a nightmare... take a look at http://therapyrooms.ie/ might find a short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

mrawkward wrote: »
    Yes you need planning permission etc ect, can be a nightmare... take a look at http://therapyrooms.ie/ might find a short term solution.

You also need to pay business rates and a planing levy. This plus the planning costs will work out at thousands by the time you are done. The whole thing could cause trouble with neighbours too and there is no guarantee of success.

You could operate informally if you avoid publicity and don't put up any sort of signage but I think you would find it a lot bettter to be in a professional premises as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You would also expose yourself to CGT from the loss of PPR exemption when selling your home.

It might be worth finding a GP with a practice established but with a spare treatment room that you could utilise. Rent may be cheaper and you can benefit from sharing secretarial and similar overheads.

Advertisement