Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help understanding means test

• 10-10-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello Boards.ie Members.

I am making an inquiring for my parents, to see if they may be able to make a claim.

My mother is a typical housewife, has look after the kids over the years at home has not work since she was in her early years.

there are 3 kids all over the age of 18. two of which are over the age of 25 and are working and the other is in college studying age 21.

the child in college does work part time but the parents would be paying college fees and paying for food etc still.

I am enquiring would my mother be able to claim a social welfare payment and possible work a few hours alongside this.

Here are some details that may be of help.

The mother is a housewife earning noting.The father earns and i have rounded up figures 996.00 Gross weekly.

You are allowed deductions of prsi , pension contributions & union fees.

I have made a rough idea of 2.00 Prsi. 77.00 pension contributions. 6.00 union fees.

this leaves 911.00 weekly.

I then minus the means test of 20.00 per day ( max 60.00 ) leaving 851.00

I may be totaly wrong with my calculations there so please bear with me.

do i then take 851.00 divide by 100 x 60% = 510.60 ??

meaning would not be entitled to any social welfare payment.

I am aware he is in a lucky position of a ok salary, but what them figures show is not reflective of what he really takes home after all deductions are done and paying for college and living etc.

any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

advice2016 wrote:
    I am aware he is in a lucky position of a ok salary, but what them figures show is not reflective of what he really takes home after all deductions are done and paying for college and living etc.

Based on your figures your mum is entitled to nothing as a claim is assessed on gross. Your mum however should be signing on for the homemakers credit ( I think that's what it's called) towards a state pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The best option is the working ones pay rent and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 advice2016

there is not 4 incomes in the household. in the house there is the mother not having any earnings. the daughter in college working saturdays to pay petrol to college, and the father.

the older two are living away from the home with there partners an there own kids.

here is 1 income in the home. the fathers and the daughter saturday job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

advice2016 wrote: »
    there is not 4 incomes in the household. in the house there is the mother not having any earnings. the daughter in college working saturdays to pay petrol to college, and the father.

the older two are living away from the home with there partners an there own kids.

here is 1 income in the home. the fathers and the daughter saturday job.

I see, your post is a bit confusing sorry.
    No social welfare won't help on that salary.

If it's that much of a struggle your mum probably would need to get a job unfortunately or the one in college needs to work more than just Saturday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 advice2016

apologies for the confusion. i tried to explain it as i understand it.

i have look at the homemakers credit. this only applies if you provides full-time care for a child under age 12 or an ill or disabled person aged 12 or over. this is not the case formy mother

what can a housewife do in this instance to help when it comes to statepension time. at present what would be her pension

• Advertisement
Advertisement