Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon

Options
  • 10-10-2016 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Anyone out there recommend the forme ATT 1.0 triathlon bike for entry level trial athlete. Help needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Sicko.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Triathletes are treated with suspicion around these here parts. Skins suits, high socks and all that don't go down well.

a bit like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

They are more triathlon friendly over here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

Or to continue the tone above:

Get thee hence to thine own kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looks like an overpriced budget tri bike to me.

I'd say you'd be better off going second hand or have a look at canyons website and see if they have any speed max al reduced they'd be cheaper and better than the forme.

Also worth keeping in mind the new aero road bikes such as the propeletc if you dont want to fully commit to a tri bike.

But sure why get an entry level one when you could have this :)http://shop.base2race.ie/collections/bike-clearance-sale/products/argon-18-e-112-2016-3t-vola-ltd-bar-system

E-112_INT_A18_2015_81144b22-4dbd-40cf-a52f-42a93c9ec8a7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1454160674

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On a kinder note. I couldn't possibly recommend as I know nothing about TT bikes or triathlon bikes, but there's a few lurkers in here who will

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

Ya that bike looks great but way over my budget. Forme bike is reduced from 1900e down to 1100e so that's why it caught my eye.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

can't go wrong with a Cervelo

cervelo-p5x-side-630x420.jpg

Might be a bit pricey though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Beasty wrote: »

I think he was actually looking for a bike (rather than a robot)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think i need bleach to wash my eyes out after seeing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Also worth keeping in mind the new aero road bikes such as the propeletc if you dont want to fully commit to a tri bike.

The aero bikes wont really put you in a comparable position to a tri or tt specific bike. Apparently tri bikes position can help with the run.

I bought a second hand felt s22 a few years ago (entry level bike) and have done a 63 minute 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Accept for the fact the eh, Cervelo did!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Specialized?

jessethomastriathlife-588x421.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

stecleary wrote: »
    Accept for the fact the eh, Cervelo did!:eek:
    It's to cater for the triathletes, so it's entirely reasonable (and non-UCI legal)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

lennymc wrote: »
    The aero bikes wont really put you in a comparable position to a tri or tt specific bike. Apparently tri bikes position can help with the run.

I bought a second hand felt s22 a few years ago (entry level bike) and have done a 63 minute 40k.

It does indeed that would be why I mentioned not wanting to fully commit to a tri bike. Think of it as a trade off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I cycle without socks. This was my first season. I'm not entirely ready to commit to a tt bike - I think I still have a lot to work on in my legs (as well as my swim and run) rather than small savings of full tt bike compared to my road bike with clip on aero bars.

I don't think the whole tt bike "opens up the hips/ helps the run" is actually proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Road bike and train hard. Many a time you can't ride the TT bike especially over the winter. Roadies only on club spins is the norm too so your snookered of you spend all the monies on a TT.

Get the engine right and then start upgrading thing as you. TT lid saves 45 seconds over 40km cheapest upgrade you can make, then the write water bottle system, wheels, proper fitting suit and shoes. Then I'd say n+1 for the TT bike.

4 years into triathlon using only my road bike and not looking like I'll be able to get a TT bike for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Road bike and train hard. Many a time you can't ride the TT bike especially over the winter. Roadies only on club spins is the norm too so your snookered of you spend all the monies on a TT.

Get the engine right and then start upgrading thing as you. TT lid saves 45 seconds over 40km cheapest upgrade you can make, then the write water bottle system, wheels, proper fitting suit and shoes. Then I'd say n+1 for the TT bike.

4 years into triathlon using only my road bike and not looking like I'll be able to get a TT bike for another while yet.

i would have said tt clip ons give the biggest bang for buck, certainly more than a tt helmet over 40k. Im sure there are charts somewhere....

edit
    ttchart.jpg

http://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

lennymc wrote: »
    i would have said tt clip ons give the biggest bang for buck, certainly more than a tt helmet over 40k. Im sure there are charts somewhere....

edit
    ttchart.jpg

http://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

Yep but make sure they are being used right. A lot of people just stick the bars on and hope for the best, normally need to adapt the position a bit more to make sure you get a nice flat back, probably move the seat up and forward.

You want to make sure the stack height is right in the bars too. I would normally recommend a bike fitting along with the bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Second hand, you see particularly good deals on tri bikes from time to time on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/765501106811045/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yep but make sure they are being used right. A lot of people just stick the bars on and hope for the best, normally need to adapt the position a bit more to make sure you get a nice flat back, probably move the seat up and forward.

You want to make sure the stack height is right in the bars too. I would normally recommend a bike fitting along with the bars.
    Well even just stuck on, I found they helped (I did subsequently get a fit, and he didn't really do much else - narrowed them and adjusted the reach). I think the base geometry comes into play as to whether the seat forward, seat forward post etc really come into play. He was pretty clear the next big upgrade I could/ should do was aero wheels rather than full TT.

For what it's worth, I've caught and passed people with full tt set up's, and been caught and passed by people on clip on's. I've started with trainer road/ power based training, and safe to say I've a fair way to go to improve my power to weight before really looking for the gains of a full TT! It was a real eye opener.

My limited experience is that about half of the races I've done a TT bike hasn't been a massive advantage anyway, either due to terrain or wind. I think I'm just going to look at doing hilly races and upgrade the road bike!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well even just stuck on, I found they helped (I did subsequently get a fit, and he didn't really do much else - narrowed them and adjusted the reach). I think the base geometry comes into play as to whether the seat forward, seat forward post etc really come into play. He was pretty clear the next big upgrade I could/ should do was aero wheels rather than full TT.

For what it's worth, I've caught and passed people with full tt set up's, and been caught and passed by people on clip on's. I've started with trainer road/ power based training, and safe to say I've a fair way to go to improve my power to weight before really looking for the gains of a full TT! It was a real eye opener.

My limited experience is that about half of the races I've done a TT bike hasn't been a massive advantage anyway, either due to terrain or wind. I think I'm just going to look at doing hilly races and upgrade the road bike!

This is also a factor, not all races are suited to TT bikes. I was also worried as CAT 1 went draft legal how many more races you would see with draft legal rules meaning a TT bike is not allowed.

The aero advantages only come into play at certain speeds also. Only after a certain speed will you really start to notice the gains. The graph below shows how the gap widens between aero and non aero as speed increases

aero_bike_and_drag_a.gif

Advertisement