Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc won't boot from USB?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi. I have a Dell dimension 9200 about 10 years old running Windows 8.1.
    I have USB as the first boot device in the bios and I've also tried selecting USB boot from the f12 boot menu but it returns a 'selected boot device not available 'error.
    I've tried a couple of USB boot sticks, acronis true image usb boot and another one.
    Any ideas thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    I have USB as the first boot device in the bios and I've also tried selecting USB boot from the f12 boot menu but it returns a 'selected boot device not available 'error.
    I've tried a couple of USB boot sticks, acronis true image usb boot and another one.
    Any ideas thanks?
    Have you tried different USB ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Yes, front and back
    I believed it worked before for me at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use a small (4 or 8GB) stick and try Rufus.

i tried rufus with a couple of bootable isos,different sticks and ports

no luck.it seems like it's not recognising usb during boot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If it's not formatted as FAT32, try doing so.

• Advertisement

I think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd agree with <= *GB FAT32 stick, plugged into integrated USB. A machine I have won't boot off a USB stick, but will boot from a SSD disk in a USB enclosure.

I recall that these old Dells were sometimes awkward to boot from USB. The drive has to be partitioned and formatted a certain way.

My memory is a bit hazy but from what I can recall, if I used Disk Management to partition it and mark it active, it wouldn't boot; but if I used DOS FDISK it would.

Karsini wrote: »
    I recall that these old Dells were sometimes awkward to boot from USB. The drive has to be partitioned and formatted a certain way.

My memory is a bit hazy but from what I can recall, if I used Disk Management to partition it and mark it active, it wouldn't boot; but if I used DOS FDISK it would.

thanks ,i definitely had it working before
    i'm going to use CDs for now

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    Any ideas thanks?

Hi, you need to format it as boot up disk... not as mass storage device with NTFS or FAT32

I use 'Macrium Reflect' to do this as it's super fast and can also create system images if needed.

Good luck creating your rescue media ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement