Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone missing in post

• 10-10-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

My cousin sent my son an iPhone 5 in the post from the U.S to the UK, it never arrived.
    iPhone was brand new, still sealed in box and the dope didn't register it or anything :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is there anyway to trace the phone, like when someone starts using it, can apple identify the apple account from the handset via the imei??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

How long ago did he post it and was address written clearly and correct postage used, senders address attached and declaration of goods inside declared with value.?

It may simply have been seized as you cannot send items with batteries in regular airmail.

And without a return address, it simply gets destroyed on the US side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How did he package it? Because thieves working in the US postal service know the dimensions of iPhone boxes. They are watching out for them this time of the year. Even registered and tracked packages can be opened and robbed.

If he chose the cheapest shipping it could turn up eventually. But without any tracking or insurance he has no comeback.

Tracking and locking the phone is possible with Find My iPhone, but not if it was still sealed and never activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Packaged in a jiffy bag, he sent it 6wks ago so def gone now, could apple trace it via imei when someone creates an account on it??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple can't/won't do anything. You might be able to get it blacklisted on US networks but there's no getting it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Apple can't/won't do anything. You might be able to get it blacklisted on US networks but there's no getting it back.

Maybe clutching at straws here, it's a brand new device in sealed box so guessing whoever has it will try and sell it such, when the device is registered with Apple, or the warranty is activated, surely Apple will know the phone from the imei

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

scudzilla wrote: »
    Maybe clutching at straws here, it's a brand new device in sealed box so guessing whoever has it will try and sell it such, when the device is registered with Apple, or the warranty is activated, surely Apple will know the phone from the imei

They will yeah, but your friend in the USA will have to declare it stolen as it was purchased there and the cops there will have to investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

As SP has mentioned, Apple will do nothing in this situation. I'd say just hope it's on a slow haul and it turns up eventually. No joy otherwise. One expensive lesson.

Potentially yes but they won't reveal that info without a court order. Apple are not in the business of helping people track down stolen phones or handling disputes over ownership. Even if you had activated the phone and enabled Find My iPhone, they still wouldn't get involved. They create features like Find My iPhone/Activation Lock so they don't have to. They'll tell you it's criminal matter and to report it to the police.

Advertisement