Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New routes and extra services from Dublin Bus

• 10-10-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

New routes set to commence in October:

31d - Baldoyle to DCU
    42d - Portmarnock to DCU
    68x - Newcastle to City Centre
    70d - Dunboyne to DCU

Extra departures on Routes 25d, 84x and more peak hour helpers along certain corridors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The 70d going through Blanch village and Castleknock at that hour of the morning is a recipe for disaster. I'd be very surprised if it makes the advertised 8:30am arrival time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

http://dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Introduction-of-three-new-routes-serving-DCU/

http://dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Introduction-of-Route-68x/

Maybe 'routes' is a bit generous- the DCU routes are a single return trip a day(in in the morning and out in the evening), and the 68x seems to just be one trip. Also the maps on the timetables page for the new routes don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

TheChrisD wrote: »
    The 70d going through Blanch village and Castleknock at that hour of the morning is a recipe for disaster. I'd be very surprised if it makes the advertised 8:30am arrival time.

Those times are offpeak but I'd imagine they'd push the departure back earlier to compensate the time lost due to rush hour traffic.

And iirc, most of the route has a bus lane between Blanchardstown and DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

At 7.15 really? I'd have thought after 8am definitely, but before 8 it will sail through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    And iirc, most of the route has a bus lane between Blanchardstown and DCU.

Doesn't use very much of it though, since it follows the 37 routing alongside the Phoenix Park. So it'll get bus lane from Halfway House to Nephin Road and that's it.
    January wrote: »
    At 7.15 really? I'd have thought after 8am definitely, but before 8 it will sail through.

Maybe my timings are off, I'm just remembering when I used to get the bus to school when living in Blanch about ten years ago and the entire village and C'knock were nothing but a jam from around half 7. I'm also probably mistiming the length of the first half of the journey since upon reading into it more, it doesn't seem to serve Littlepace.

• Advertisement

Doesn't use very much of it though, since it follows the 37 routing alongside the Phoenix Park. So it'll get bus lane from Halfway House to Nephin Road and that's it.

Maybe my timings are off, I'm just remembering when I used to get the bus to school when living in Blanch about ten years ago and the entire village and C'knock were nothing but a jam from around half 7. I'm also probably mistiming the length of the first half of the journey since upon reading into it more, it doesn't seem to serve Littlepace.

There's also Finglas Rd and Ballymun Rd. They both have bus lanes running through the full length of it. It'll be a breeze when it gets to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

with the 84x I would have liked to have seen the number of stops it uses reduced.
    far too many people use it as an extra 46a/145, denying usage to people who actually need it, and less stops would go a long way to combat this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Was hoping for later night services when I saw the thread title. More's the fool me. City still closes at 11:30pm in the opinion of the NTA/DB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thought Lucan was already well served. Other areas need more varying routes.

Hadn't noticed that there'd be extra services added for the bus corridors. Does anyone know what buses will get extra services on the Ballymun Rd?

4 or 13?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Was hoping for later night services when I saw the thread title. More's the fool me. City still closes at 11:30pm in the opinion of the NTA/DB.

Given that there are capacity issues at peak times across most corridors I would suggest that addressing that issue should be the first priority.

I've no doubt that night time services will come, but right now addressing the existing capacity issues has to be the top priority.
    Additional capacity on key corridors
    Additional peak journeys will operate from Monday 17 October on the following corridors Ballymun, Finglas, Lucan, Templeogue, Malahide and Harold’s Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hadn't noticed that there'd be extra services added for the bus corridors. Does anyone know what buses will get extra services on the Ballymun Rd?

4 or 13?

DCU won't look after Dublin Bus for increasing line capacity on those routes. This is Ireland after all.

Bambi wrote: »
    DCU won't look after Dublin Bus for increasing line capacity on those routes. This is Ireland after all.

Quoted from the DB website
    Additional capacity on key corridors
    Additional peak journeys will operate from Monday 17 October on the following corridors Ballymun, Finglas, Lucan, Templeogue, Malahide and Harold’s Cross.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Timetable-Changes-on-Routes-25d-and-84x/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Feck - when I saw '68X Newcastle to Fleet St.', I thought it was a new route from Newcastle in Co. Wicklow into town, the 84/a currently only goes as far as Blackrock. I think the odd one (suffix 'h' in the timetable) goes to St. Vincent's Hospital.

Maybe it's time to update their 'Network News' page with those route changes, the last update was August 24th .....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Network-News/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The 68X has had a crappy start. Late for stops on the Nangor road and 30 mins late into town today as they had to replace the bus at the depot TWICE apparently.

Sidenote, I've been informed by NTA that a new orbital route will begin soon from Tallaght - Liffey Valley - Blanchardstown SC via Fonthill Road.

Its November now, any sign of those additional buses? :confused:

More orbital routes can only be a good thing, its madness sending customers into the city centre and then back out in the same direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Bambi wrote: »
    Its November now, any sign of those additional buses? :confused:

They're already operating. They slot in along the corridors when required to help out the regular buses, so they don't have a specific timetable.

They're already operating. They slot in along the corridors when required to help out the regular buses, so they don't have a specific timetable.

So they don't have a timetable, i.e.no service increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The 68X has had a crappy start. Late for stops on the Nangor road and 30 mins late into town today as they had to replace the bus at the depot TWICE apparently.

Sidenote, I've been informed by NTA that a new orbital route will begin soon from Tallaght - Liffey Valley - Blanchardstown SC via Fonthill Road.

Wonder will they be scrapping the 76a so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sounds like the 76A is the enhanced route..................

• Advertisement

Maybe, 76 will still run normally.
    The Authority is progressing the implementation of a number of additional orbital services, one of which will link Tallaght, Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown, operating via Clondalkin (Fonthill Road). Clondalkin Village will continue to be served by Dublin Bus Route 76.

Maybe, 76 will still run normally.

The 76 hasn't run normally for years. Drivers are given one hour to do a journey, but which can only be done in 90 minutes are certain times of the day. It will only get much worse in the run-up to Christmas with a lot of daytime journeys certain to be missed. Let's hope some of those "extra services" can fill the gaps in this one.

Sorry for dragging up 3 month old thread. 68x situation is dire already. I gave it another go this week. 30 minutes late into town. About half the passengers not there anymore. Same passengers I see lined up for the 151 earlier in the morning as that's the one I usually take and normally gets into down +/- 10 minutes even in congestion.

Unless the bus leaves 10/15mins early to avoid the congestion at Bluebell I wouldn't be surprised if it was wound up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ongarboy wrote: »
    Considering the criticism it's received since Network Direct, is it at all wise to extend it without an increase in frequency also?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Considering the criticism it's received since Network Direct, is it at all wise to extend it without an increase in frequency also?

new timetable will be put in place also

pclive wrote: »
    new timetable will be put in place also

This will do nothing for reliability of the route. The only thing that will change on the timetable is to replace the word Finglas with Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

New timetable will have extra departures/buses and allow extra time to complete the route

68x 30 minutes late this morning :)

Won't be using it again myself. I'll keep monitoring RTPI I guess.

• Advertisement

pclive wrote: »
    New timetable will have extra departures/buses and allow extra time to complete the route

So where are the extra departures on the new timetable?

Advertisement