Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best experience to get before joining the fire service?

Options
  • 10-10-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi. I'm 19. Always wanted to be a firefighter so once they recruit again I'll be sure to apply this time around, I currently have my provisional licence and will be applying for my full licence when I'm allowed. I'm on the waiting list for the civil defence auxiliary (recruiting before the end of 2016) . Also when I pass my full test I'll be looking into getting my C licence in order to be able to drive the fire trucks. Is there anything else I should be doing or is there any other courses/voluntary groups or anything that will help my chances with becoming a firefighter and be easily accepted when I fill in the application when they recruit? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 19. Always wanted to be a firefighter so once they recruit again I'll be sure to apply this time around, I currently have my provisional licence and will be applying for my full licence when I'm allowed. I'm on the waiting list for the civil defence auxiliary (recruiting before the end of 2016) . Also when I pass my full test I'll be looking into getting my C licence in order to be able to drive the fire trucks. Is there anything else I should be doing or is there any other courses/voluntary groups or anything that will help my chances with becoming a firefighter and be easily accepted when I fill in the application when they recruit? Thanks

Hi mate. First of all being easily accepted is a bit of an optimistic term. Guys with degrees and qualified paramedics got refused this time round. However voluntary service is probably one of the biggest selling points in the interview. Also getting your C licence would show you have been preparing for this career and shows your want for it. To increase your chances id make sure you ace the tests as you won't even get a chance too sell yourself unless you make it for interview. If you are planning on DFB you have a year at least before recruitment again so plenty of time to study. Career services do fantastic courses to prep before the process. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mccabe96

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Hi mate. First of all being easily accepted is a bit of an optimistic term. Guys with degrees and qualified paramedics got refused this time round. However voluntary service is probably one of the biggest selling points in the interview. Also getting your C licence would show you have been preparing for this career and shows your want for it. To increase your chances id make sure you ace the tests as you won't even get a chance too sell yourself unless you make it for interview. If you are planning on DFB you have a year at least before recruitment again so plenty of time to study. Career services do fantastic courses to prep before the process. Best of luck
    Thanks a lot for the reply, my local town is retained firefighters, I was looking to hopefully get a spot in the local station and then gradually move onto Dublin Fire Brigade as its only retained where I'm at. And I was talking to a few of them up there and they get 2-3 calls every day. And they're recruiting next summer for 4 new firefighters so I'd wanna hurry up and get going if I want to have a chance! Thanks a mill for the reply mate

Thanks a lot for the reply, my local town is retained firefighters, I was looking to hopefully get a spot in the local station and then gradually move onto Dublin Fire Brigade as its only retained where I'm at. And I was talking to a few of them up there and they get 2-3 calls every day. And they're recruiting next summer for 4 new firefighters so I'd wanna hurry up and get going if I want to have a chance! Thanks a mill for the reply mate

Your welcome mate. When DFB is out pm me if need any help I've only gone threw the process.

Your welcome mate. When DFB is out pm me if need any help I've only gone threw the process.

Did you pass everything?

Did you pass everything?

Yes I am on the panel waiting to start :)

• Advertisement

Yes I am on the panel waiting to start :)

Congrats! I sent a pm mate

Advertisement