Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish army

• 10-10-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, I know there are various threads already on the British army but I was looking for a bit of advice. I'm 18 and just started college and waiting on a date for my medical for the PDF. However I started looking into the British army and was wondering should I apply there and defer my place in the Irish army(pending medical). I have been told there are better opportunities available in the BA(promotion is easier, travel)? I suppose my question is should I hold off for the British army or would I be mad to turn down a place in the PDF? Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Forgot to mention I'm considering dropping out of college(not a decision made lightly). How long would the joining process take for the BA?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

My advice. Finish college. You're only 18 so plenty of time to finish a degree and join the army after. It'll also make it easier to become an officer if you wish. Also a degree will stand to you in the long run if you end up going back to civvi life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Aye, same as Pablo. Get a degree or a trade first. And no, promotion is not easier in the BA.

If you are considering dropping out, maybe reconsider what course you are on? Because I got out of the BA last year and went to uni for a year, it cost me £9000. Better of having the Irish government pay your fees while they still offer cheap third level education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

your 18, ignore all this army stuff, particularly the british army. you could find yourself in the middle of a war that has nothing to do with you and your colleagues, and putting your family and friends through dreadful stress wondering if you ll make it home alive. im sure you d learn some fantastic skills in the army but there really is more to life. a cousin of mine had intentions of joining the british army a few years ago, this terrified my aunt. i spent a large portion of my twenties traveling, this intrigued my cousin. he only really wanted to join the army so he could travel, and thinking the army was the only way to do so! there are far safer ways to do so! gladly hes moved on from this idea and is enjoying life. do the best you can in college, and options will be created from doing so including travel. best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    your 18, ignore all this army stuff, particularly the british army. you could find yourself in the middle of a war that has nothing to do with you and your colleagues,

...meanwhile, I have to ask, what wars might Ireland expect to take part in, that have anything directly to do with Ireland?

Way back when, and now of course, various tinted personages in central Africa, Greeks and Turks, Lebanese and uh, other Lebanese et al, needed 'policing' by the UN, and the PDF is signed up to this organisation, and has been doing a great job of it for over fifty years now. None of these people posed any kind of a direct threat to the security of the most Westerly European state.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

tac foley wrote: »
    ...meanwhile, I have to ask, what wars might Ireland expect to take part in, that have anything directly to do with Ireland?

Way back when, and now of course, various tinted personages in central Africa, Greeks and Turks, Lebanese and uh, other Lebanese et al, needed 'policing' by the UN, and the PDF is signed up to this organisation, and has been doing a great job of it for over fifty years now. None of these people posed any kind of a direct threat to the security of the most Westerly European state.

tac

What has Iceland's security got to do with anything the Irish army were ever involved in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Scandinavia

Area 928,057 km2 (358,325 sq mi)
    Population ~27 million (2016)
    Pop. density 22/km2 (57/sq mi)
    Demonym Scandinavian
    Countries Denmark
    Norway
    Sweden
    Sometimes also:
    Finland
    Iceland
    Faroe Islands

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Whoosh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

Is there anyone here in the Army?

It's not the end of the world joining up, I have been to Liberia, Chad, Lebanon, Israel and Syria and I have gotten a Degree out of them as well, all paid for.

The Army is constantly training and trying to up skill its personnel.

Your a little vague on your future ambitions and plans.

Do you want to stay and make a Career out of it or only a few years?

If you want a Career I would suggest the Cadets, if you want a few years of action I would suggest the British Army.

As well what do you want to do when you join either Army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

brian00278 wrote: »

It's not the end of the world joining up, I have been to Liberia, Chad, Lebanon, Israel and Syria and I have gotten a Degree out of them as well, all paid for.

If you want a Career I would suggest the Cadets, if you want a few years of action I would suggest the British Army.

But the pay and conditions for new entrants are rubbish.

There is a lot of anger with the young lads in the Army/Navy/Air Corps over the low pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 power29

brian00278 wrote: »

Were you in the BA or the PDF? I didn't realise they funded things like degrees and the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

power29 wrote: »
    Were you in the BA or the PDF? I didn't realise they funded things like degrees and the like

PDF.

Yes, education is now part of career (promotion) courses.

There are also other mechanisms available to gain a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

I'm PDF.

Yes the pay and conditions for our younger entrants are a disgrace (even for me) but compared to the younger members I'm doing ok.

It's hard to say, I wouldn't rejoin the PDF but also the PDF gave me everything I have and made me who I am.

The PDF have a retention issue and the Dept knows it but don't care about it, other wise they would pay the lads the pay they deserve.

Yes the Higher Certs such as the Level 6 & 7 in Leadership Management and Defence Studies come with completing promotional courses.

As Senior Fancy Pants said there are other mechanisms available to gain a degree such as the Trainee Tech Schemes and the Refund of Fees Scheme, certain branches have their own budget as well for training their staff in 3rd Level.

I wouldn't use the PDF as a career if I was young again but I would use it as a stepping stone, the other day I had a job interview to enter another Government Body and I used my Level 7 as the entry into it, they loved the fact I was in the PDF and my career path to date.

They like to see you taking steps to better yourself all the time learning.

Advertisement