Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from China for Personal Use

• 10-10-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone,

I may be in the wrong topic, so I'd appreciate it if the admin could re-locate this thread if so.

I'm just wondering what is the maximum amount of alcohol you can import from China for personal consumption?

Also, having found out this amount, what taxes would I have to pay?

Thanks to anyone who can help :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

I guess the first question to answer is how much alcohol are you planning to personally consume. the answer to that is likely the same as what customs & revenue consider personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

OU812 wrote: »
    I guess the first question to answer is how much alcohol are you planning to personally consume. the answer to that is likely the same as what customs & revenue consider personal.

The thing is I'd prefer to be able to bring in the max amount allowed before it goes out of date.

I don't imagine that I'm allowed bring in that amount, but I'm looking to find the max.

The alcohol would be in 500ml bottles too. Is it possible to fill a couple of pallets of these and ship them?

Sigerson wrote: »
    The thing is I'd prefer to be able to bring in the max amount allowed before it goes out of date.

I don't imagine that I'm allowed bring in that amount, but I'm looking to find the max.

The alcohol would be in 500ml bottles too. Is it possible to fill a couple of pallets of these and ship them?

I'm guessing a couple of pallets would constitute more than personal consumption.

Personal allowance (consumption) is 16L from a non EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sigerson

OU812 wrote: »
    Personal allowance (consumption) is 16L from a non EU country.

Great! And do you know what the VAT, etc. is that I would have to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

What type of alcohol? Wine/beer/spirits/something else. Different limits and duties depending what it is exactly you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sigerson wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I may be in the wrong topic, so I'd appreciate it if the admin could re-locate this thread if so.

I'm just wondering what is the maximum amount of alcohol you can import from China for personal consumption?

Also, having found out this amount, what taxes would I have to pay?

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

This might help.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/postal-guide.pdf

Essentially it will cost you about the price of a bottle of cheap whiskey to import a bottle of whiskey from China when all is said and done. It will be a lot of bureaucracy and there are lots of practical problems to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I wouldn't touch anything coming out of China unless its at the serious top end. China import massive amounts of our whiskey etc for a reason as the local stuff is just terrible. You'd be better off filling up at your local Topaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ironclaw wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch anything coming out of China unless its at the serious top end. China import massive amounts of our whiskey etc for a reason as the local stuff is just terrible. You'd be better off filling up at your local Topaz.

I agwee. It would be a very wisky business! ;)

Advertisement