Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing apps directly to Chromecast to use with remote control

Options
  • 10-10-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Is there any way of installing apps directly to a Chromecast so you don't have to use any external hardware like a laptop/phone?

I wanted to use Kodi a bit more but it's some hassle getting out the laptop and running it from there. Was thinking of getting a firestick for this instead but would rather not fork out the extra moolah.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You can't install apps directly on the Chromecast, no

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Thanks, was thinking as much.

Might go for a firestick so and get kodi on it. But I've read that the firestick is a waste without Amazon prime. But all I'll be using it for is kodi and Netflix.

Any other suggestions for cheap/user friendly alternatives?

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have both a FireTV and a FireStick, solely for Kodi and Netflix - they were replacements for my aging Apple TV 2's. Both worth just fine, with local and streamed content. They are very easy to use, my 6 year old has the hang of it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

clonadlad wrote: »
    Might go for a firestick so and get kodi on it. But I've read that the firestick is a waste without Amazon prime. But all I'll be using it for is kodi and Netflix.

I couldn't disagree more, the Fire TV Stick is excellent, small, relatively fast, works with a decent range of services and can sometimes be picked up for almost nothing (mine cost just €15!).

I use it for:
    - Netflix
    - Kodi
    - All 4 (Channel 4 on demand app)
    - Plex
    - Youtube
    - Spotfiy
    - DreamPlayer (stream satellite and saorview TV from Linux sat box).

Yes, by default Amazon Prime Video doesn't work and that can be annoying as all the recommended to watch stuff on the first page is coming from prime. But just ignore it and use the above and you have access to a ridiculous amount of content.

BTW I also have a NowTV box and Android TV box, so I can compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Didn't know you can have Plex on it too. I'm sold, only started using it recently and it's serious.

Where did you get it for 15 beans? It's £35 on Amazon and I'll have to use Parcel Motel too..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

clonadlad wrote: »
    Didn't know you can have Plex on it too. I'm sold, only started using it recently and it's serious.

Where did you get it for 15 beans? It's £35 on Amazon and I'll have to use Parcel Motel too..

Was during the Amazon prime sales in summer. Went down to £25 and then there was a voucher doing the rounds on boards for another £10 off.

It may not go down that low again, but I'd expect it to hit £25 again during the cyber monday/black friday sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    I couldn't disagree more, the Fire TV Stick is excellent, small, relatively fast, works with a decent range of services and can sometimes be picked up for almost nothing (mine cost just €15!).

+1

I've both too . I've prime but that's really only for free postage for me, would be great to have the content but I use it for netflix and kodi YouTube etc

I've the Annke baby cam app on it too

I've had lots of android boxes, the fire TV box is solid and reliable.

It's also a great uPnP device if you have it hooked up to your amp.

My Sony TV remote started working on it too after recent updates

The only issue is that updates can kill things like mouse and keyboard operations, and I'd imagine at some stage that they will kill kodi on it with the recent updates to monitor non amazon app usage.

Advertisement