Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part worn tyres

• 10-10-2016 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Why do people buy these? How can they be legal and why would a reputable tyre shop / garage sell hem?

Realistically, each tyre touches the ground with an area of a postcard roughly, so with all four wheels taken into account, your car only has the contact surface area of a sheet of printer paper. I know it's clichéed, but they are the only point of contact between you and the road.

My tyres were approaching the minimum thread depth (they were just over 1.7mm). The new tyres are from Bridgestone.

I saw a car parked in the supermarket car park today and they were smooth !! Almost like touching a rubber / eraser. Scary stuff. There were child seats in the back too. Would a Garda bother following up a report on it?

The difference in handling and braking is incredible since I got the new tyres. Not only do I agree with the penalty points for bald tyres, but it should be one point per tyre with more penalty points for each 0.1 mm below the legal thread depth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your rant seems to be about bald tyres, not part-worns.

Also, people buy used cars with part-worn tyres every day....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

There is nothing wrong with a part worn tyre if there is still enough thread on it and the tyre is in good condition.
    Your tyres are new now but in a couple of months they will be part worn ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I have bought alot of part worns over the years....
    money was a bit tight, do i spend €40 a corner on some cheap chinese ditchfinders or do I get some very legally threaded bridgestones or other premium brand...

while I wont get the same length of time/mileage i get a much better tyre for sticking to the road.... so for me it was safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Haven't had a good part worn tyre thread (hmmm) in a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are smart you can get really decent ones, still with hairs on.

A lot of big car hire companies have service agreements / warranties with tyre suppliers and it means they ditch the tyres the new cars land with.

These are the ones to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

robtri wrote: »
    I have bought alot of part worns over the years....
    money was a bit tight, do i spend €40 a corner on some cheap chinese ditchfinders or do I get some very legally threaded bridgestones or other premium brand...

while I wont get the same length of time/mileage i get a much better tyre for sticking to the road.... so for me it was safety

Exactly, I use part worns on my own car, I always get reputable brands with at least 5mm of thread left for less than half the price. Money is tight so Id rather have a decent part worn than a worn (bald) tyre or a chinese knock off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

I recently went through the experience of part worn tyres

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101014456

A lot/most of the issues stemmed from an owner not wanting to lose a sale (and selling me on the idea of mixing winter tyres) and by their nature of being second-hand the stock isn’t there (ideally I wanted 4 x tyre x brand)

After also a month I feel the tyres I got are much better than the Chinese brand I previously had, ok I maybe won’t get as much wear, but then I didn’t want to hand out €400 plus on tyres for a 14-year-old car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Large majority of partworns are imported from Germany, due to their strict laws thanks to the wonderful Autobahn. Many of the guys i know who deal in partworns get some great tyres with adequate Tyre depth

Many buy them on the hop for the NCT or a puncture, or to tie you over till you have the 400 odd for all four tyres. Depending on your mileage you can get weeks or upto 6 months on them.

Personally as a driver doing high speeds everywhere(all motorway driving) im very cautious about grip on the wheels getting near the minimum, id be changing as soon as i feel the wheels are spinning could be good dept left. but partworns are grand for that last minute run to Dublin from Cork heck ive even got 2 Pirelli Run flats for €40 each that lasted a few months they dont come cheap in 18's

What you have described about the car with the bald tyres and child seats. thats just down to laziness and carelessness and even if they are so badly stuck for cash. part worns will tie them over till they need new ones. you can get part worns for €30 a tyre. not the end of the world for your safety and any genuine reseller of partworns would be selling them with a good enough depth but people have eyes to gauge if it looks good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Bought 2 partworn Bridgestone today, they hadn't many miles on them, hairs still there. The other option for the same price was a dodgy Chinese ditch finder, no brainier if you can get a good set.

They will tie me over for a few months when I'll replace all 4 with a decent brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

dfeo wrote: »
    Why do people buy these? How can they be legal and why would a reputable tyre shop / garage sell hem?

Realistically, each tyre touches the ground with an area of a postcard roughly, so with all four wheels taken into account, your car only has the contact surface area of a sheet of printer paper. I know it's clichéed, but they are the only point of contact between you and the road.

My tyres were approaching the minimum thread depth (they were just over 1.7mm). The new tyres are from Bridgestone.

I saw a car parked in the supermarket car park today and they were smooth !! Almost like touching a rubber / eraser. Scary stuff. There were child seats in the back too. Would a Garda bother following up a report on it?

The difference in handling and braking is incredible since I got the new tyres. Not only do I agree with the penalty points for bald tyres, but it should be one point per tyre with more penalty points for each 0.1 mm below the legal thread depth.
    I buy them whats your point they are sold because they are legal a tyre doesnt just become illegal because it has been on the road for a while. As for the reporting to the guards likely they will not bothor doing anything dont know how you could bring yourself to report someone for a bad tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 19 Bigby

Why are you looking at car tyres and into the back seat of people's cars in supermarket car parks?

You need to get a life.

Bigby wrote: »
    Why are you looking at car tyres and into the back seat of people's cars in supermarket car parks?

You need to get a life.

One would wonder cant ever park your car in the supermarket now in peace.

Bleedin do-gooders looking at things.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I dont tend to inspect other peoples tyres none of my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Nunya' bidnez

shietpilot wrote: »
    Nunya' bidnez

Nothing more annoying on boards than people trying to be funny and not succeeding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

:D

audi12 wrote: »
    Nothing more annoying on boards than people trying to be funny and not succeeding

If you're not hiding bald tyres you wouldn't worry about people checking your tyres. Fix the cause not the symptoms ;)

shietpilot wrote: »
    If you're not hiding bald tyres you wouldn't worry about people checking your tyres. Fix the cause not the symptoms ;)

If I had bad tyres that would my business and wouldent take kindly to any busy body nosing around my car inspecting it.

I dont tend to inspect other peoples tyres none of my business.

Nor do I, but sometimes things can catch your eye.

• Advertisement

If I had bad tyres that would my business and wouldent take kindly to any busy body nosing around my car inspecting it.

It's everyone's business once it's on a public road. You can drive around your driveway on cords if you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Standard issue on cars that cost six figures...

Z06-Tires.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If these tyres are illegal in Germany wouldn't you imagine they should also be illegal here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Why do people buy these? How can they be legal?
    Why wouldn't they be legal?
    My tyres were approaching the minimum thread depth.The new tyres are from Bridgestone.
    That sounds a little like 'look at me aren't I great' tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

XsApollo wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with a part worn tyre if there is still enough thread on it and the tyre is in good condition.
    Your tyres are new now but in a couple of months they will be part worn ;)

Correction, the OPs tyres are part worn now. By the logic used, he should be changing for a new set every day he is out driving.

I have picked up some great part worn tyres in the past, and would have far more faith in them than some remoulded junk being sold as new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Nor do I, but sometimes things can catch your eye.

Walking through a car park a bald tyre might catch your eye alright. But you'd have to go over and inspect the car to see the child seats etc. Then to be thinking about reporting it? That's snooping behaviour and actually quite weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jesus. wrote: »
    Walking through a car park a bald tyre might catch your eye alright. But you'd have to go over and inspect the car to Then, walking past the car you see the child seats etc. Then to be thinking about reporting it? That's snooping behaviour and actually quite weird.

FYP.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement