Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help / Advice Kitting out WoodWork Workshop

Options
  • 10-10-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I've been reading your threads for a long time now and finally decided to start one of my own that you can hopefully help me with.

I'm wanting to kit out the workshop that I am building (a modest serious hobby workshop!).

I would be most grateful for your thoughts and opinions on my shopping list.
    Although we are on single phase, I will be going with three phase machinery as I will also be acquiring a diesel generator for the job. Anyone got any serious concerns or objections with that approach?

Surface planer - Wadkin RZ 16" planer

Thicknesser - Wadkin FE 24" thicknesser

Bandsaw - Not sure of make/model

Table saw - Wadkin 14" AGS

Large Disc Sander - Wadkin/Phillipson Double Disc Sander

Dust extraction - Anyone any thought on the Clearvue Cyclone? Are they available in Ireland/UK? Or other better options?

At a future time, a nice Union Graduate lathe

As you can probably tell, I am going for the older heavy cast iron stuff except I don't mind going modern/new on the dust extraction.
    Would anyone happen to have anything along these lines for sale?? Or know where I could grab some? I would restore any older stuff also if it needed it.
    I would prefer to buy in Ireland to save on shipping costs. But will go across the pond either.

Thanks for any help!

Keep the Change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

well if you decide against 3 phase for any reason (diesel fumes and noise maybe!) I have a very nice SCM CU300K for sale its a single phase 3 motor universal, saw, planer/thicknesses and spindle moulder. Its a very handy machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Do you really need heavy duty cast iron machinery for a hobby workshop.?
    Just moving the stuff will need a forklift at least. Also, I'd consider a diesel generator a last resort - have you costed a 3 phase connection ? A bit kinder on the environment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wow that's a lot of machines. Though the cast iron stuff tends to be heavy, flat surfaced and fairly bulletproof I suppose.

I've not seen anywhere selling the clearvue here, but you can get cyclones from ebay readily enough (I've only got the dust deputy sized one because who needs a full-blown dust extraction system in an 8x6 shed with allmost all hand tools, but there were several larger ones available). I'd take a peek on aliexpress.com as well; these things are basically just plastic castings anyway.

You must have a bloody huge workshop though (by domestic house standards anyway). How do you plan to manage the noise and the neighbours?

Advertisement