Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Android TV set top box on multiple tvs

• 10-10-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Would anyone have a solution to share an Android smart tv box on multiple tvs?
    It would be something similar to a Sky Eye concept that I can change multiple tv channels in different rooms/browse the web.

Maybe there isn't a solution out there, I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Might suggest a digisender but you'd need composite connections, probably wouldn't work have never seen an android box with them anyway....

why not invest in multiple boxes? those boxes are cheap enough, I've 3 picked up on amazon for 25 each work a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭LLcoolJ27

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Might suggest a digisender but you'd need composite connections, probably wouldn't work have never seen an android box with them anyway....

why not invest in multiple boxes? those boxes are cheap enough, I've 3 picked up on amazon for 25 each work a treat

Well this is a combined Android TV box with a DVB-T2 and a DVB-S2 tuner on it. The tuner is also run from an app within the Android lollipop OS.
    It's a kind of unique box that I couldn't find anywhere else but I wanted the satelite and aerial feed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Maybe you could try searching for a "HDMI Modulator" . You would need coaxes and distribution amps in place to feed other TVs, in a similar way to a magic eye works for Sky boxes in other rooms. Or if you had the right connections, an RF modulator might work.

The HDMI modulator would only work on modern TVs with a digital tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would be cheaper to buy multiple boxes and use some form of shared storage between them than go down any of these routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

sonofenoch wrote: »

I'm interested in trying one of these. Could you please give a link of the ones you bought ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LLcoolJ27 wrote: »
    Well this is a combined Android TV box with a DVB-T2 and a DVB-S2 tuner on it. The tuner is also run from an app within the Android lollipop OS.
    It's a kind of unique box that I couldn't find anywhere else but I wanted the satelite and aerial feed in.

What app is managing the tuners?

Maybe it does provide access to the tuners for other devices ..... I use tvheadend which has a playlist which other devices on the LAN can use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Here is an option for you:

- A Logitech Harmony Hub and remote (This is a remote that works over wifi).
    - A 1 in 6 out HDMI splitter
    - Either very long HDMI cables to each room or alternatively use HDMI over cat6

Basically you take the Harmony Hub into whatever room you want and the Hub is left next to the sat box and HDMI splitter. The remote would allow you to control the sat box and HDMI splitter from another room.

Thing is all of the above would be relatively expensive to do, specially if you need to get cat6 installed in the walls.

Another option if your sat box supports it (Linux ones like the Amiko Alien do) is get cheap Android box for each other TV, like FireTV Sticks and then use an app on them for streaming TV from the central sat box. IT works, though it can be a bit slow and rough, certainly not the quality of interface that Sky Q has.

BTW the problem you will run into with both of these options, is that it will only allow 2 people to watch simultaneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

PC with tuner cards running DVB Logic's DVBlink Software ( Mac, PC, Linux and others)
    Android boxes on all TVs wunning the DVBlogic app.
    Sorted.

PC with tuner cards running DVB Logic's DVBlink Software ( Mac, PC, Linux and others)
    Android boxes on all TVs wunning the DVBlogic app.
    Sorted.

I would agree with the general set up but would not fork out for DVBLink (apparently €49 + €16 for EPG software ?).
    http://dvblogic.com/en/dvblink/

Instead I use, on an old discarded PC, Openelec/LibreELEC with Tvheadend to manage the tuners and Kodi for the user interface.

Kodi on any device can then access the tuners over the LAN (wireless, ethernet, homeplugs).
    All free software running on a very light OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ive done both, DVB logic works out of the box with any TV card that has windows drivers. You can also use Kodi as a frontend.

Your Tvheadned option would work if you are pretty good with linux. If not you're talking about a sh1tton of time googleing everything at every step.

The process with an old PC is like this
    Download a linux distro, Spend ages trying to get the PC to boot and load the distro
    Spend ages troubleshoyting the Sound driver issue
    Spend ages trying to sort the network card issue
    spend agest trying to sort the video driver issue
    Cry over the fact the TV card dosn't have Linux drivers
    Spend months learning how to complile your own tv card drivers
    Goto councelling to prevent you from killing yourself
    Try to get the EPG feed to work
    Fail, Google, fail again, Google, repeat ad-naseum
    Give up, Notice your kids are now in collage and your wife has left

or

Fork out the cost of a few pints of beer on DVBlogic.

• Advertisement

Ive done both, DVB logic works out of the box with any TV card that has windows drivers. You can also use Kodi as a frontend.

Your Tvheadned option would work if you are pretty good with linux. If not you're talking about a sh1tton of time googleing everything at every step.

The process with an old PC is like this
    Download a linux distro, Spend ages trying to get the PC to boot and load the distro
    Spend ages troubleshoyting the Sound driver issue
    Spend ages trying to sort the network card issue
    spend agest trying to sort the video driver issue
    Cry over the fact the TV card dosn't have Linux drivers
    Spend months learning how to complile your own tv card drivers
    Goto councelling to prevent you from killing yourself
    Try to get the EPG feed to work
    Fail, Google, fail again, Google, repeat ad-naseum
    Give up, Notice your kids are now in collage and your wife has left

or

Fork out the cost of a few pints of beer on DVBlogic.

I was going to answer this seriously, but as the whole of that post is nonsensical it does not warrant a reasoned response.

Hopefully anyone reading it can see it for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

If you go the TVheadend route could you post your progress every couple of days?

Would be intrigued to hear your progress

kingtiger wrote: »
    If you go the TVheadend route could you post your progress every couple of days?

Would be intrigued to hear your progress

If interested this might help

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=270385

Advertisement