Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I right to be slightly annoyed re hairdresser?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

My friend suggested I go to another friend of hers for my regular colour. It was a bit of a trek across town. I'd never met the girl before but it was 80 euro rather than 130. Described to me as mates rates. Result was alright but was backstreet...

She took pictures before and after. For PR. No problem. Happy enough with result.

However she then had a deal on Facebook and Groupon next day as a special for 60 euro using my photo as an October special. Am I right to be annoyed? I got it done in October!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Well if it was TBH I would be highly annoyed. Using my hair results as a PR for something you didn't even receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you got 50 euro off the regular price, yes?

i would have expected them to have the courtesy to tell you they may use your photo, and id say you could be miffed at that, however that's not a bad discount you got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

amtc wrote: »

She took pictures before and after. For PR. No problem. Happy enough with result.

!

No sure what there is to be annoyed about. You said pictures for PR. What do you think PR is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You agreed to a price of €80 at the time. If they then launched a special afterwards for €60, you can't really go back and ask for your money back. Poor form, but you have no recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Go back in to them tomorrow for a €60 colour, that way you'll have saved €120... you can't lose... do it every day and the amount you'll save will mean you'll never have to work again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never even mind the PR thing, I would be annoyed if it was described as mates rates at €80 and then see them accepting just €30 the next day, presuming it was for the same treatment (groupon are supposed to take 50% as standard so they are willing to do the job for €30).

Nothing you can do but I would be rightly pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I would give them a call and mention it to them, be friendly but say you feel a bit upset about it, and see what they say. No harm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You agree a price. You agreed to photos for PR purposes.
    I'm can't see where the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op's was s one off job, now they are running a promotion to induce a larger number clients. It's like someone getting a discount in a clothes shop and then being annoyed a week later when the sale starts. Caveat emptor.

There is no consumer issue, might be better suited to the personal issues forum or something. But odd they way people are seemingly making out that they cannot see any problem, maybe they are talking purely legalistically, which is all to common in this forum.
    davo10 wrote: »
    It's like someone getting a discount in a clothes shop and then being annoyed a week later when the sale starts.
    Yep and they would be rightly pissed off too if it was similar to this. If I was given clothes at a "mates rate" of €80 from a friend of a friend, and they took PR photos to be used in their obviously planned reduction next week I would be pissed off. Especially if I knew they were now accepting €30 for the exact same clothes (again groupon take 50%). They obviously knew the reduction was coming up, not much of a "mate".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I took it that the op didn't know the stylist, are they "mates"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

No I never met her before. My friend knows her. My issue is it was presented to me as mates rates, but less than 12 hours later was presented as a special October offer for less than I paid. Using my pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

no-one ever like to find something they paid for cheaper.

but if you buy a product or service from a supplier and find they have reduced the price the next day, what comeback do you expect??

you were happy to pay the price you paid, and presumably happy with the results. Isn't that the most important part?

your picture was taken before and after, and presumably had you asked -they would have told you what the pictures were for. That not normal practise - to take a before and after. you must have wondered about that?

you could tell them you were surprised with the use of your picture without being explicitly informed and see if you can get a discount on your next haircut/colour as a goodwill measure.

But im not sure what remedy you want? you could always just keep this as a party story and get great currency from bringing it up with your friends and family for years to come? would that be preferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Buy a voucher for next time.
    Though, from talking to a hair dresser friend the cost of materials will cost more than they'll get from Groupon so they may be out of business if this is a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My friend suggested I go to another friend of hers for my regular colour. It was a bit of a trek across town. I'd never met the girl before but it was 80 euro rather than 130. Described to me as mates rates. Result was alright but was backstreet...

However she then had a deal on Facebook and Groupon next day as a special for 60 euro using my photo as an October special. Am I right to be annoyed? I got it done in October!
    No I never met her before. My friend knows her. My issue is it was presented to me as mates rates, but less than 12 hours later was presented as a special October offer for less than I paid. Using my pics.

You had no issue with the PR side. You are aggrieved because you don't now feel you got a good deal.
    Mates rates - She got you a discount no? you got a fairly decent discount but you still don't think it is enough?

As its been said - if you buy something in any shop today and it is sold at a lower price tomorrow - that's life. You don't automatically gain the right to have the next discount applied and a refund offered to you.

your picture was taken before and after, and presumably had you asked -they would have told you what the pictures were for. That not normal practise - to take a before and after. you must have wondered about that?
    In the OP she said she knew it was for PR. But I presume the hairdresser did not explain exactly what it is for. I wonder if asked if the hairdresser would have honestly explained it.

Hairdresser- could I take some photos for PR
    OP- Yeah, ok, what sort of PR.
    Hairdresser -well I will be advertising a groupon deal in a few days, I will be offering the same treatement you are paying 80 for and I will be getting just 30 from groupon.
    OP -wow, I must thank my friend for putting me onto you, in a few days you will be effectively giving a discount of 100, and they won't even be doing you a favour by giving free modelling/PR shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

davo10 wrote: »
    I took it that the op didn't know the stylist, are they "mates"?

Mates in law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd imagine the group on is a loss leader. Big discount, do a good job and they'll come back and get it down at the standard price.

Would you be happy to get it done cheap now and pay full whack next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You are right to be annoyed. She should have offered you the lower rate and some goodwill gesture for use of the pictures.

But legally she did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

Winterlong wrote: »
    You are right to be annoyed. She should have offered you the lower rate and some goodwill gesture for use of the pictures.

But legally she did nothing wrong.

Why should she have done that?

cms88 wrote: »
    Why should she have done that?

Common (uncommon?) decency. Some posters may not be familiar with the term/concept.

• Administrators Posts: 14,088 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Often hairdresser require models who can get any treatment for free in return for the use of their head. It's usually for trainees or when qualified hairdressers are being taught something new. But it is common practice to offer the treatment for free.

I think in your case, OP, the hairdresser knew exactly what was coming up. She knew exactly what the pictures were going to be used for and it would have been a courtesy to you to offer the treatment at even less than the "mates rates" as she didn't have to pay for a model and photographer. In fact the model paid her!

Did she ask your friend if she knew anyone who wanted a treatment done? I think she should have told you. But I accept that she didn't have to tell you.

Nothing to lose from ringing her up and mentioning it. You don't ever have to see her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I think you're entitled to feel aggrieved. Rather than having to pay to get a model for her advertising, she's had someone pay for the privilege.

What exactly did she say about how the pictures would be used? Just some vague waffle about taking pictures and using them for PR purposes? Did you sign any kind of consent form, or just say it was OK?

I suppose at the very least, this might be a reminder to people to ask how photos of them are due to be used.

rubadub wrote: »
    Common (uncommon?) decency. Some posters may not be familiar with the term/concept.

So theres actually no reason they should have then

Seems my prediction was right! utterly clueless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

cms88 wrote: »
    So theres actually no reason they should have then

Which is precisely what I said in my post re the legal obligation. Not really sure what point you are making or what advice you are offering here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My point is I was perfectly happy with the style etc and as this was a friend of my best mate I was happy enough to give her the business. I was happy enough with the price. My point is that 12 hours after it's up as a special October deal. I really wouldn't have minded if it was in a week's time, but I got my hair done in October. I have since found out that the actual ad was designed a few weeks ago and she just needed hair! That's my point. My friend is v embarrassed.

• Administrators Posts: 14,088 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You have nothing to lose by ringing her. I'd leave your friend out of it completely. Just ring and say you noticed the "October deal" and you're wondering why you paid more as you'd expect something being marketed as an October Deal to run for the month of October.

Then say nothing at all and see what she says.

You mightn't get any satisfaction, but at least you'll have voiced your annoyance. Unless you say something, she won't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Have you signed a model release form for use of your image ? If not , you could tell her that you are no happy to be associated with the offer she is making when you have been denied the benefit of it, i.e. the reduced price, and ask her to desist from using your image or set a price for the use of your image.

However, do you really want to escalate such a dispute over a small sum?

Advertisement