Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving and living in Amsterdam

Options
  • 11-10-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

No idea if this is the right place for this, please move if necessary.

I am planning or rather contemplating a move to Amsterdam in the new year, i was just wondering if anyone has experience on living there before, any tips etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a "Living Abroad" forum that's probably more suited to that sort of question ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=213

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey everyone,

No idea if this is the right place for this, please move if necessary.

I am planning or rather contemplating a move to Amsterdam in the new year, i was just wondering if anyone has experience on living there before, any tips etc?

Thanks

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I've lived here for 3.5 years now and it's really an amazing city. Always lots to do and see and plenty of internationals too. Everything just works so well and it's a great hub to travel from also.

If you could be more specific I could maybe address some of your concerns better.

My main negatives of Amsterdam are:

I don't enjoy the bluntness or cold nature of many Dutchies (this is going to cause some backlash), I have a good handle on the language now and tried to integrate but that has not really alleviated my opinion on this. Don't get me wrong I have a good group of Dutch friends and my girlfriend is Dutch (all from outside Amsterdam) but I just really appreciate the small talk and politeness in Ireland so much more. I realize this is a city thing, but I have lived in cities in Ireland and the USA and would prefer the small talk of Ireland or the over the top optimism in the States.

Also I miss mountains!

So not much really to complain about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

shortys94 wrote: »
    I've lived here for 3.5 years now and it's really an amazing city. Always lots to do and see and plenty of internationals too. Everything just works so well and it's a great hub to travel from also.

If you could be more specific I could maybe address some of your concerns better.

My main negatives of Amsterdam are:

I don't enjoy the bluntness or cold nature of many Dutchies (this is going to cause some backlash), I have a good handle on the language now and tried to integrate but that has not really alleviated my opinion on this. Don't get me wrong I have a good group of Dutch friends and my girlfriend is Dutch (all from outside Amsterdam) but I just really appreciate the small talk and politeness in Ireland so much more. I realize this is a city thing, but I have lived in cities in Ireland and the USA and would prefer the small talk of Ireland or the over the top optimism in the States.

Also I miss mountains!

So not much really to complain about!

I can't really go into too much detail on here but could PM you if you would be willing to help for sure. I wouldn't mind missing out on the small talk, to be honest I'm not a big fan anyway :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

No problemo PM away

I am in the same position, I booked tickets for next week and i have a friend to stay with until I settle in. I hope to find work over there, but It is a bit more complicated than I first imagined as I must register at city hall and receive a CSN number before working.....but i don't have a permanent address as of yet.

Hopefully I will get on OK. Have you moved over yet? How are you getting on with the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

The initial bureaucracy can be daunting, getting an address, BSN number, opening a bank account, finding work but at least you have a friend there and a place to stay for a while. Do you have any interviews lined up yet?

I'm back in Ireland now but I spent many years living in Amsterdam and loved it, fantastic city to live in.

Advertisement