Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round pin socket connected to light switch

Options
  • 11-10-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭

I've a new house which has a few round pin sockets connect to dimmer switches. Reading online, there seems to be a few different type (3A, 5A, 15A). Is there any easy way of telling which plug I need (apart from buying all 3 plugs). Is there a width or anything? Or alternatively is there one that is far more common that I should starts with.

Secondly, I'm well able to change a regular plug, never tried one of these ones. I assume there's nothing more complex is there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The typcial for a lighting socket is a 5A plug. Relatively common to buy - you should be able to pick up in a conventional DIY shop.

If you can change a normal plug, this shouldn't pose any difficulty to you.

One item to check - if the light switch has a dimmer, and you're using LED or CFL lamps, you need to check the lamps' compaitiblity with the dimmer. If incandescent lamps, no problem (and similarly if a normal on-off switch, no problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2A and 5A (there is no 3A) are common for lighting. These days 5A seems to have become more usual than the 2A version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Risteard81 wrote: »
    2A and 5A (there is no 3A) are common for lighting. These days 5A seems to have become more usual than the 2A version.

Must confess I've never encountered the 2A - same shape & size as the 5A?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Dardania wrote: »
    Risteard81 wrote: »

Must confess I've never encountered the 2A - same shape & size as the 5A?
    Same shape but smaller size.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cheers folks. Ordered one online and works perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement