Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked tonnes of times before, but I've been out of the loop for a while regarding pc components!

Used to be quite an enthusiast but then kids happened!

Where are the best places to buy these days? I see hardwareversand and Dabs.ie are gone, so thats 2 of my old favs off the list!

Looking to build a new PC, but not in one go, will probably start with a new GPU first, then cpu / mobo / ram / PSu etc etc

So, what are the go-to sites for us Irish folk these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Amazon, mindfactory, scan and overclockers

Have you a build in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Not really I'll be honest, or when I'll start. Probably will be very budget conscious tbh - I may wait for Zen to come out, but I'll defo be looking for bang/buck.

Am considering an AMD 400 series for the GPU - the 480's give great performance for the price.

Its funny, I was always the 'go-to' guy for builds, but have been out of the loop the past few years. Kids eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looking back with years of regret?

460 is a very good budget GPU, though we probably have differing ideas of budget

Looking back with years of regret?

460 is a very good budget GPU, though we probably have differing ideas of budget

Ha ha not so much regret, just want!

I was looking at the 460, seems like a reasonably decent card, and for a 4gb model around €130 or so seems like it could be a decent shout, once I dont mind turning down settings a little on some newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I personally love dealing with overclockers. Fast deliveries, good website, I heard rma with them is decent too.
    If I can't get bits and pieces I check amazon.

With pound being so low it's great buying UK stuff. In good few cases prices are better then German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I just completed a build and I got everything (bar one item*) from a mixture of amazon.co.uk and amazon.de depending on price.

Mindfactory was slightly cheaper for most things but not hugely so and I was very afraid of their returns process which seems to be difficult from reviews I've read here. There was only a few percent in the difference - for me the peace of mind of using amazon made the slight extra cost worth it.

* I bought my case from novatech because they were the only ones that had it in stock. I was impressed with their service although they were a little more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I just bought all of the bits and bobs for a full build in the last week (apart from the GPU which I got at a great price barely used second hand a few months back - did a test drive on the lads computer for an hour or so and it worked great) and I found the best prices, almost without fail, were on Amazon - usually by a fair 5-10%, sometimes a little more. I also noticed that shipping is free from Amazon if you're willing to wait the extra few days.

Probably has to do with the exchange rate at the moment, but they also do a good number of deals and have pretty much everything I even considered buying - would definitely recommend as the first place to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Amazon would generally be my go-to for parts and stuff over £25 and I'd always check amazon.fr too because although you pay for shipping with them it's only €8 for express shipping regardless of the amount.

Overlockers are good and I would usually use parcel motel to make it even cheaper but sometimes they take the píss with packing.

Ordered a new graphics card and to my surprise it ended up "oversized" so I had to pay extra and when I picked it up I saw why :eek: I'd forgotten something similar happened me with a mobo a few years ago (pre-parcel motel).

399138.jpg

Ended up picking this one up:
    https://www.cclonline.com/product/214017/GV-RX460WF2OC-4GD/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-460-4GB-OC-Graphics-Card/VGA3581/

Great price for a 4gb RX 460.

Admittedly, not the fastest card in the world, but great value for a stop gap and capable of paying pretty much anything if settings are toned down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

yeah overclockers are great they sent me a €559.00 euro chair for €200.00 :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement