Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restless, Irritable, and Discontent!!

• 11-10-2016 2:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

In Alcoholics Anonymous’ twelve-step programme those seeking recovery are taught that when they become ‘restless, irritable, and discontent’ they’re in danger of going back to their drug of choice. And that doesn’t work! Why? Because inside each of us there’s a God-shaped blank that only He can fill. Some of us try to fill the blank with human relationships. Jesus met a woman who’d been divorced five times and was now living with her boyfriend. The conversation went like this: ‘Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty”’ (vv. 13-15 NIV 1984 Edition). Your body tells you when it’s hungry and thirsty. So does your soul - and if you’re wise you’ll listen. The only ‘safe’ addiction is total surrender and dependency on God! We all have a tendency to respond to what our flesh craves instead of what our spirit needs. So we turn to things like work, sex, and entertainment. Now we’ve added a new one - the Internet. Psychologists are actually treating people with ‘Internet addiction’. King David had it all: power, popularity, pleasure, and possessions. But it left him empty, so he wrote, ‘As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God’ (Psalm 42:1 NIV 1984 Edition). Learn to recognise when you are ‘restless, irritable, and discontent’ and reach for God [- I've tried him. He works!]

Every blessings.

http://www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

No thanks.

I fill my God shaped hole with the works of Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I've built a golf course around my God shaped hole .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Grainne Seoige has a bogwoppit shaped hole I'd like to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's not expanding your horizons OP, its narrowing them down and removing the need to think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

looksee wrote: »
    That's not expanding your horizons OP, its narrowing them down and removing the need to think.

There is a book written by no less than sixty scientists, including 24 Nobel Prize winners: Cosmos, Bios, Theos. It contains a contribution by leading Yale Physicist, Professor Henry Margenau. According to him, “there is only one convincing answer... Creation is by an omnipotent omniscient God”.

Pierre-Simon Laplace, one of history’s most renowned astronomers, also puts it succintly: proof in favour of an intelligent God is infinitely more probable than a set of writing implements “thrown promiscuously” against parchment would produce Homer’s lliad.

Faith thinks- and believes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That reply doesn't even vaguely try to refute the post its quoting.

Handing everything over to a religious belief is narrowing your horizons down to basically nothing.

Advertisement