Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating / Landlord query

Options
  • 11-10-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

I've seen similar queries before but not too sure on the right answer; basically I want to know is there a fixed amount of time a LL has to address a basic household issue before the tenant can just take care of it themselves?

We went to turn on our heating 3 weeks ago, the system is seized up (has happened before, same symptoms), told the agency and after 30+ emails back and forth still no joy (landlord not responding...). Is there a point now where we can just get a guy to come in and sort it? We know if only took 20mins or so last time so it's not like it's a big job. I know if we do go that route we can't just hold it from the rent so do we just have to ask nicely to be reimbursed or do they not even have to do that?

Appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Send them an email outlining the current timeline and delay in getting this fixed and give them a deadline to fix it (I'd say a week is fair). Tell them that you will be seeking your own solution if they cannot rectify the problem.

Call in your own guy if they don't fix it and, as you said, continue paying rent while trying to get the cost of the repair back from them. It is their responsibility to fix and their responsibility to cover the cost of the repair. If they refuse to cover the cost go to the RTB and open a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Send them an email outlining the current timeline and delay in getting this fixed and give them a deadline to fix it (I'd say a week is fair). Tell them that you will be seeking your own solution if they cannot rectify the problem.

Call in your own guy if they don't fix it and, as you said, continue paying rent while trying to get the cost of the repair back from them. It is their responsibility to fix and their responsibility to cover the cost of the repair. If they refuse to cover the cost go to the RTB and open a dispute.

Cool thanks, trying to be a soft with them as possible seeing as we would love to keep renting (good price, convenient area, no looking for a new spot), hopefully they cop on soon. I assume if we do have to get it sorted ourselves we don't have to do anything mental like getting 3 quotes or anything?

hots wrote: »
    Cool thanks, trying to be a soft with them as possible seeing as we would love to keep renting (good price, convenient area, no looking for a new spot), hopefully they cop on soon. I assume if we do have to get it sorted ourselves we don't have to do anything mental like getting 3 quotes or anything?

You'd want to get a reasonable price. For a small job like this I wouldn't expect 3 quotes, but you don't want to give them any cause to argue the point so I'd avoid getting your mate Dave who's a plumber to do the job if you know what I mean.

You'd want to get a reasonable price. For a small job like this I wouldn't expect 3 quotes, but you don't want to give them any cause to argue the point so I'd avoid getting your mate Dave who's a plumber to do the job if you know what I mean.

Perfect, I'll tell him to use the silver washers not the gold :)

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you were late with your rent, he'd probably kick up a fuss.
    I don't see why you shouldn't either.
    They can't kick you out for no reason.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/standards-and-repairs/
    Urgent: These are repairs that need to be carried out quickly to allow the tenant to enjoy their tenancy and to avoid damage to the house. Examples of urgent repairs are: broken fridge, cooker or shower; heating system not working (particularly in winter), build-up of mould.

Suggested timeframe for urgent repairs: 3-5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

We know if only took 20mins or so last time so it's not like it's a big job.

Appreciate any advice!

Any idea what happened last time or this? Is it oil fired central heating and if so, did it by any chance run out of oil?

It's Gas, and "seized up" is as much as I remember from the last diagnosis... just through lack of use during the summer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

It's Gas, and "seized up" is as much as I remember from the last diagnosis... just through lack of use during the summer I think.

I'd be careful how you approach this so. LL could dispute responsibility by saying it broke down before after a period of you not using it, he fixed at his expense and you were made aware of why it broke down. You didn't modify your behaviour and left it off for entire months and it broke down again. He might say it's your fault for not sticking it on for an hour every other day during the summer.

Not saying he's not responsible, but I wouldn't take it for certain that he won't try to hold you responsible for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I'd be careful how you approach this so. LL could dispute responsibility by saying it broke down before after a period of you not using it, he fixed at his expense and you were made aware of why it broke down. You didn't modify your behaviour and left it off for entire months and it broke down again. He might say it's your fault for not sticking it on for an hour every other day during the summer.

Not saying he's not responsible, but I wouldn't take it for certain that he won't try to hold you responsible for the cost.

Bonkers that any LL would hold you for this, I'd be very surprised. I have never put gas heating on during spring/summer months and it works fine come Autumn.

sassyj wrote: »
    Bonkers that any LL would hold you for this, I'd be very surprised. I have never put gas heating on during spring/summer months and it works fine come Autumn.

He's left them three weeks already with no heat. It's very much heating "on" season by now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he tried to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- you have gas central heating that has 'seized up'........
    You need to get the boiler and pump serviced- and they should be serviced annually- the issue diagnosed and resolved.

The fact that its a recurrent issue which a sticking plaster was put over the last time- would suggest it may in fact be a bigger job that you are anticipating.

First off- given gas is involved- get a proper RGAS certified technician to do a full service on the unit.

Spell this out to the agency- its due to get cold from this weekend onwards- it is not satisfactory to be without heating.

Between now and the weekend- beg, borrow or steal a few oil rads to tide you over- you're going to need to until you get this resolved. Explain to the agency that it is fair and reasonable to expect them to cover this outlay- and to continue to do so- until the heating issue is resolved.

A residential unit without heating- is non-compliant with renting standards- period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭bobbyss

OP- you have gas central heating that has 'seized up'........
    You need to get the boiler and pump serviced- and they should be serviced annually- the issue diagnosed and resolved.

The fact that its a recurrent issue which a sticking plaster was put over the last time- would suggest it may in fact be a bigger job that you are anticipating.

First off- given gas is involved- get a proper RGAS certified technician to do a full service on the unit.

Spell this out to the agency- its due to get cold from this weekend onwards- it is not satisfactory to be without heating.

Between now and the weekend- beg, borrow or steal a few oil rads to tide you over- you're going to need to until you get this resolved. Explain to the agency that it is fair and reasonable to expect them to cover this outlay- and to continue to do so- until the heating issue is resolved.

A residential unit without heating- is non-compliant with renting standards- period.

Borrow, beg for some oil rads? You can't just borrow a few oil rads. They are fixtures. Need a plumber to install.
    Any quotes from worker should have full details address vat etc etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bobbyss wrote: »
    Borrow, beg for some oil rads? You can't just borrow a few oil rads. They are fixtures. Need a plumber to install.
    Any quotes from worker should have full details address vat etc etc.

Portable oil rads.
    You can get them in Woodies/B&Q etc
    A good one is probably between 200-300
    Normally you'll have a relative or someone you can borrow a few from.
    Local businesses who have cold stores often have them behind the counter (butchers shops etc) so the staff don't die from hypothermia.
    I wasn't suggesting the OP get permanent fixtures or fittings installed.........

Cheers guys, the last email again says they are "waiting on the landlord to respond". Thankfully in reality the house is well built and we have a couple of electric heaters that'll tie us over so we won't freeze to death but it's definitely not good enough.

The worst of it is having to deal with the management company, I don't see what benefit they actually provide if all they are doing is forwarding our problems to the owner? Must be the cushiest 10% going.

I'll do another email up today anyway with the info everyone has suggested, appreciate it.

Cheers guys, the last email again says they are "waiting on the landlord to respond". Thankfully in reality the house is well built and we have a couple of electric heaters that'll tie us over so we won't freeze to death but it's definitely not good enough.

The worst of it is having to deal with the management company, I don't see what benefit they actually provide if all they are doing is forwarding our problems to the owner? Must be the cushiest 10% going.

I'll do another email up today anyway with the info everyone has suggested, appreciate it.

Depends what the landlord's paying for. Some places will take a percentage to get a tenant in, some offer ongoing maintenance and point of contact services. Sounds like your landlord is just paying them to forward on queries so he doesn't have to answer the phone to his tenants when something breaks down.

Portable oil rads.
    You can get them in Woodies/B&Q etc
    A good one is probably between 200-300
    Normally you'll have a relative or someone you can borrow a few from.
    Local businesses who have cold stores often have them behind the counter (butchers shops etc) so the staff don't die from hypothermia.
    I wasn't suggesting the OP get permanent fixtures or fittings installed.........

Portable oil rads? I don't know how you would get oil into those? Think you mean a portable gas radiator? With the yellow cylinder?
    I had one, but only for a while. I thought they sucked all the oxygen out of the room and got headaches. I don't know how safe they are from that point of view. But I certainly would never use one again.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Portable oil rads? I don't know how you would get oil into those? Think you mean a portable gas radiator? With the yellow cylinder?
    I had one, but only for a while. I thought they sucked all the oxygen out of the room and got headaches. I don't know how safe they are from that point of view. But I certainly would never use one again.
    Fairly certain he means portable oil rads.

http://powercity.ie/index.php?par=70-30&cat=Heating&action=brandstory

Turtle_ wrote: »

My apologies. You are right and I am wrong.
    Dimplex!! Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

Can you not try and contact the landlord directly. I deal directly with my tenants but I also have my phone number and email details on the contract. Is the property registered with the PRB. Did you receive a letter from them saying the property was registered. I can,t remember for sure but I think my tenants received a letter from the PRB saying the tenancy was registered. Your landlords details might be on that. Its a pain for a tenant when there is a middleman involved. You mail the Management company. Its takes them a while to mail the Landlord. He does n't respond. Management company does n't get back to you. Suddenly 3 or 4 weeks have passed and nothing is done.
    If you can't get the landlords details I would get a quote to have the boiler serviced. I would then email the Management Company outlining the number of times you have contacted them at this stage with nothing resolved. I would then give them the estimated cost of servicing the boiler and tell them you propose to deduct it from your rent. Tell them you will supply a receipt for the work done. If you go down this route make sure you get a receipt from a Registered Gas Service Company so they know it was n't a friend who had a go. This might concentrate the Landlords mind and kick him into action

• Advertisement

Can you not try and contact the landlord directly. I deal directly with my tenants but I also have my phone number and email details on the contract. Is the property registered with the PRB. Did you receive a letter from them saying the property was registered. I can,t remember for sure but I think my tenants received a letter from the PRB saying the tenancy was registered. Your landlords details might be on that. Its a pain for a tenant when there is a middleman involved. You mail the Management company. Its takes them a while to mail the Landlord. He does n't respond. Management company does n't get back to you. Suddenly 3 or 4 weeks have passed and nothing is done.
    If you can't get the landlords details I would get a quote to have the boiler serviced. I would then email the Management Company outlining the number of times you have contacted them at this stage with nothing resolved. I would then give them the estimated cost of servicing the boiler and tell them you propose to deduct it from your rent. Tell them you will supply a receipt for the work done. If you go down this route make sure you get a receipt from a Registered Gas Service Company so they know it was n't a friend who had a go. This might concentrate the Landlords mind and kick him into action

I don't know if you can reduce the rent in that way legally. I dont know what receipts the op gets but the Threshold rent book has s section for LL's contact details. I think all landlords should (must?) provide contact details.
    The most important thing is to keep (and photocopy if you send them to landlord) all receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

I had a quick check on the PRB site. A few relevant facts cherrypicked

Who is my landlord?

It is important to know the name of your landlord. If you have been dealing with an agent, you are entitled to the full name and contact details of your landlord(s) under the Housing Rent Book Regulations Act 1993. Even if you have been dealing with an agent or landlord representative throughout a tenancy, in the event of a dispute you can only take a case against your landlord to the PRTB.

•Tenants must be able to contact their landlords at any reasonable time.
    •Tenants must be reimbursed by the Landlord for any repairs they have carried out on the accommodation. If the damage is beyond normal wear and tear then it is the tenant’s responsibility to pay.

Your Obligations as a Tenant:
    •Pay your rent in full and on time.
    •Maintain the property in good order and inform the landlord when repairs are needed, allowing him/her or others access for this.

So my interpretation of this is -
    The Management Company has to supply the Landlords details if the OP does n't have them.
    If the Landlord does not carry out the repairs within a reasonable time then the OP should arrange repairs. 3 weeks is too long in my opinion without any acknowledgement from the Landlord.
    The OP gets the work done and bills the Landlord supplying a receipt. The Landlord should reimburse the Tenant .
    The Tenant should keep paying his full rent.
    There is no harm in contacting the Management Company with a servicing quote and "proposing" that you will deduct it from the rent. It might concentrate minds.
    If you have to carry out the repairs yourself you should still pay your full rent and submit the receipt to the Landlord for reimbursement
    If the Landlord does not pay for the repairs the OP then has to open a dispute with the PRB.

Advertisement