Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School (Second Level) - Business/Accounting/Economics

Options
  • 11-10-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi There,
    Basically I need some advice as this topic seems quite challenging for some people , particularly those that are not teachers and don't know anything about it!.
    So, I am aware that there are plenty of secondary school teachers on this forum so I said i'd post here.

I want to become a secondary school teacher (eventually, wayyyyy down the line) and I am hoping to teach Business and perhaps Accounting and Economics.
    If not that, then English with Business or even if i'm really stuck Religion and Business ( I am aware that you now need TWO subjects at least )

I completed the 2016 Leaving Certificate and passed everything, I did OL for the lot apart from Maths which was foundation level :rolleyes:
    Not many colleges never mind employers look positively at someone taking FL Maths...

What would be the best way to go about this? Is it still possible for me to become a secondary school teacher? Maybe going back as a mature student later on in my life? What about CSPE and SPHE - I was told that these are just given to teachers who are free on the timetable or that are willing to teach them?

P.S. - If there are any Business teachers on this, please feel free to tell me how you got to where you are now :)

Thanks very much in advance!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

My advice is to try and gain access to a third level business course (diploma) that allows you progress on to a Business Degree. In your business degree do as many Accounting modules as possible. You would need to be aiming for really good marks in your diploma/degree in order to gain access to the PME programme. (Teacher training - Masters degree.) All-in-all it would take around 6 years to become a fully qualified business/accounting teacher. The competition for jobs is quite intense as there are a lot of graduates in these areas. In order to better your chances I would spend summers doing as much work with young people as you can, like summer camps, etc. this will look good on your CV.

All in all it is a very long difficult road to becoming a full time business/accounting teacher, but it is well worth pursuing if you have a passion for the subject and are determined enough to put in the work to get the results needed. Good luck with everything if you decide to proceed.

Advertisement