Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slight movement of big lens on mount - normal?

• 11-10-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Howdy - complete beginner with photography gear...but bitten by the bug!
    Purchased my first camera in may - a refurbished nikon d5500 which came with a stock 18-55mm lens. Have just purchased a 2nd hand tamron 150-600..appears in excellent knick - certainly no external marks or that. Purchased in 2015 (have receipt).
    Was out today wandering around the field taking some random birds pics and noticed a very marginal shift or rotation of the body on the lens when manipulating it. Is this normal when mounted on a big lens? if there is an issue would it be with the body/lens?
    Making a concerted effort to minimise any strain on the body by manipulating the lens primarily. Will have to get a better means of carrying rather than the straps on teh body itself (would take suggestions)

i dont mind it really - just hoping its not a major issue which can worsen/cause further damage to the lens/body.
    still - it offers amazing reach - snapped this on the way home from getting it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Just checked my D500 and D800 bodies and an older 80-200 2.8 AF-S, 50mm 1.8 G, 28-70 2.8 AF-S and a 35mm (non-DX) 1.8 G.

All have 1.5-2mm of rotational freeplay on these bodies. The G lenses are pretty new, so they're still pretty snug and you need to put some effort into getting them to move. In fact, even the two older zooms don't move 'freely'.

Might have some impact on aperture which uses a mechanical coupling to close down the diaphragm, but I don't think it would be considerable.

I think you've no reason to be concerned if it's only a tiny bit of rotational free play. It's common in any case. I'll check my old FM and 50mm pancake Nikkor and I'd expect to find the same thing. If it was perfectly tight, with no free play, it might not lock into place very easily using the lock pin, the one that's retracted when you push the release button to swap lenses.

On the second thing, slinging the camera, I just wouldn't hang a larger lense from the body. Fine if it's just as added security in case your grip slips, but it makes sense to support the lens and let the camera body be held by the bayonet mount. The D5500 isn't a heavy body, but it's not designed to be lugged around with a 2kg lense hanging off the front either! If your Tamron still have the handle/tripod collar, consider putting a strap mount directly onto the handle using the tripod mount, like this:

p1381175768-3.jpg

I've used a Manfrotto quick release plate (about 20 quid) on my 300mm 2.8 and connected a second pair of Optech uni-loops (https://optechusa.com/system-connectors/uni-loop.html) to the D-ring on the bottom of the adapter in the past. That lets me just unclip the strap (https://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html)from the uni-loops which are fitted to the body, then clip the strap onto the lense mounted uni-loops and sling it that way. Have a look and I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. Lots of ways to do the same kind of thing without having to spend much if you're creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭brianiac

Thanks so much - put my mind at ease. Figured it was nothing too much but hadn't come across it before. Thanks for going to all that trouble. And with regards to hanging the camera - am going to have to do that. i just held the camera by the handle on the tripod collar for the rest of the afternoon. as you say the lens is super heavy to be dangling off the front of the camera body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Don't buy any more gear until you find your photographic niche, do a course join a camera club and learn how to use your camera and discover the type of photography you like.

The type of photography you follow will dictate the gear you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

KNS wrote: »
    Don't buy any more gear until you find your photographic niche, do a course join a camera club and learn how to use your camera and discover the type of photography you like.

The type of photography you follow will dictate the gear you need

Have you replied on the wrong thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭brianiac

Ill take any advice thats going! ive been reading a few internet books and watching youtube videos. time is limited so not ready to join a photography club or sign up for a course as yet but would certainly consider doing so in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement