Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Rock77 wrote: »
    Does it say ‘Application max relief 30k’
    Then it means on her own she’s get 27k
    On your own you’d get 30k
    Together yis will get 30k!

I was thinking the same. Application max is 30K so I guess what we each get is irrelevant here. Aka, "Your max relief" isn't too important once you've both been paying your taxes over the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Rock77 wrote: »
    Again guys for anyone who hasn’t cancelled their previous application....

DON’T DO ANYTHING!!!

Revenue are updating it themselves...

This is not necessarily correct advice I think, from my own experience and reading the thread it appears revenue are updating previous applications but aren't updating individuals max allowance.

So if you had 20k yourself and your partner had 5k allowance, revenue would give your max allowance as 25k

However, if you reapplied, your max allowance might be 25k + partners 5k = 30k

If you're under the 30k and one applicant is capped at 20k, that's where I would go reapplying.

Again, it could be more complicated than that, but that's the behavior I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Miaconn1234

mine still says ' awaiting membership confirmation' and 'under review' on both sides. We have looked and there is no where to confirm membership..... and we have all income tax submitted.... whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Has anyone recently applied for the HTB scheme since the new regulations came in for 10% relief instead of the old 5%?
    I applied on the revenue portal and it gave a max of 20k euros instead of the 30k euros i was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

mine still says ' awaiting membership confirmation' and 'under review' on both sides. We have looked and there is no where to confirm membership..... and we have all income tax submitted.... whats going on?

Exact same for myself and my partner! Hoping it's a glitch that gets sorted soon. I've sent them a message through my enquiries. No doubt they are being hounded today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

chiloutus wrote: »
    This is not necessarily correct advice I think, from my own experience and reading the thread it appears revenue are updating previous applications but aren't updating individuals max allowance.

So if you had 20k yourself and your partner had 5k allowance, revenue would give your max allowance as 25k

However, if you reapplied, your max allowance might be 25k + partners 5k = 30k

If you're under the 30k and one applicant is capped at 20k, that's where I would go reapplying.

Again, it could be more complicated than that, but that's the behavior I saw

Ahhh... sorry I never thought of it like that! My bad!!!!!! Never listen to me!!

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Exact same for myself and my partner! Hoping it's a glitch that gets sorted soon. I've sent them a message through my enquiries. No doubt they are being hounded today!

I had sent messages through enquiries but took ages to reply. So I rang myself, and although my husband had everything submitted, they had to manually accept some things on their end as it had said they weren't submitted. She said to give it 24 hours now. I hope that's it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hannaeis

I had the same status "awaiting for membership..." from 27/07 but finally got approval today at 9:51 😉

Just spoke to Revenue who said there was such a high volume going through last night that a number of applications are stuck. They are running another update tonight so should be cleared in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

I was in the same position until 5 mins ago - it was showing 'awaiting review' for me, so I logged in via my partner's account, cancelled, reapplied and instantly got the higher amount

The glitch could be linked to your own account, so cancel via your partners and try again would be my suggestion

• Advertisement

I was in the same position until 5 mins ago - it was showing 'awaiting review' for me, so I logged in via my partner's account, cancelled, reapplied and instantly got the higher amount

The glitch could be linked to your own account, so cancel via your partners and try again would be my suggestion

I have already tried this so I'm afraid to mess with it again incase it sends us to the bottom of the pile! So frustrating still waiting after waiting a week already for Revenue to update systems!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

Has anyone spoken to revenue this morning to confirm if already approved applications were updated or if everyone needs to cancel and reapply. Stuck at work and won't get a chance to ring until lunch which means I most likely won't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

I have already tried this so I'm afraid to mess with it again incase it sends us to the bottom of the pile! So frustrating still waiting after waiting a week already for Revenue to update systems!

I had assumed it was some form of queue system until I did it this morning, but it definitely appears to be automated! Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Just got confirmed for the €30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anyone know what the process is after making a claim?

Are you on a list in order of date in terms of having the claim assessed?

Do you share the claim ref and access code to the developer right now when you have an active claim or do you have to wait for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

8-10 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the process is after making a claim?

Are you on a list in order of date in terms of having the claim assessed?

Do you share the claim ref and access code to the developer right now when you have an active claim or do you have to wait for something?

your developer will look for the access code that is given to you inside the HTB section inside myrevenue.ie. Once you give them this they'll claim the money, and you then just deal with your solicitor to pay the rest of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I just cancelled mine and reapplied, got the increased amount straight away. Mine actually only went up to 24k even though I have definitely paid at least 30k in tax in those 4 years. Is there an easy way to check what the amount is from each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Markitron wrote: »
    I just cancelled mine and reapplied, got the increased amount straight away. Mine actually only went up to 24k even though I have definitely paid at least 30k in tax in those 4 years. Is there an easy way to check what the amount is from each year?

I did the same for myself and my wife. I'm sure it should've gone up to 30k but it stayed at 20k even for the two of us. Something seems wrong in their system. I've sent them an enquiry for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Make sure you have the last four tax years selected, and check your end of year statements for those years in order to make sure that your net tax paid is enough. You should be able to get these as a pdf or a screenshot to prove you are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinay

Try checking the Statement of Liability for all the years you are selecting for HTB. All of them should show Balanced and the same document will also provide the total amount of tax paid for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Does anyone know what constitutes a New Build? My brother built a brand new house last year which is currently being used as an Air BnB. If I bought it in a year or 2, would it still be classed as a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does anyone know what constitutes a New Build? My brother built a brand new house last year which is currently being used as an Air BnB. If I bought it in a year or 2, would it still be classed as a new build?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/help-to-buy-incentive/what-type-of-property-qualifies.aspx
    What type of property qualifies?
    To qualify for HTB, the property that you build or buy must be:

* your home
    * newly built with the construction subject to Value Added Tax (VAT) in Ireland.

The property must never have been used, or have been suitable to use, as a residential home. If the property was non-residential, but has been converted for residential use, it may qualify for HTB. If you buy or build the property as an investment, it does not qualify for HTB.

was applicable for HTB when your brother built it provided it was subject to VAT he would also have to keep it as a residential home for 5 years or they clawback pro rata, you will not be applicable for HTB on this property.

vinay wrote: »
    Try checking the Statement of Liability for all the years you are selecting for HTB. All of them should show Balanced and the same document will also provide the total amount of tax paid for the year.

I have my statements of liability, I am kinda clueless about all this stuff so maybe I am reading it wrong. There's a heading about 3 lines down saying 'tax due', which is the sum of the taxable income at 40% and 20%. This is the same figure as 'gross tax payable'.

Is this the net tax figure which I should be adding up for all the 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinay

Markitron wrote: »
    I have my statements of liability, I am kinda clueless about all this stuff so maybe I am reading it wrong. There's a heading about 3 lines down saying 'tax due', which is the sum of the taxable income at 40% and 20%. This is the same figure as 'gross tax payable'.

Is this the net tax figure which I should be adding up for all the 4 years?

The tax deducted is the total amount of tax paid excluding the tax credits. This should be the amount (If I'm not wrong) used for calculating the total eligible HTB amount over the period of 4 years. PRSI and USC charges are not taken into account for this calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The tax deducted is the total amount of tax paid excluding the tax credits. This should be the amount (If I'm not wrong) used for calculating the total eligible HTB amount over the period of 4 years. PRSI and USC charges are not taken into account for this calculation.

Yeah, but you have to subtract any overpayments (in the Final Result) from that.

Renjit wrote: »
    Yeah, but you have to subtract any overpayments (in the Final Result) from that.

Yes this is what I figured, I should be getting the max 30k so

How long is everyone waiting for confirmation? Was on phone again, and PAYE said everything looked ok. Have sent enquiries and still no word back. Very frustrating that you cant get them on the phone and find out what the hold up is....

How long is everyone waiting for confirmation? Was on phone again, and PAYE said everything looked ok. Have sent enquiries and still no word back. Very frustrating that you cant get them on the phone and find out what the hold up is....

Same position here! So frustrating as I am being told a different story every day. Yesterday was told everything looked ok and it appeared to be a system error. Today was told everything looked fine and they were just working through a backlog they hope to clear by the end of the week. A friend was told today that the backlog should be cleared in 2 weeks. Cant seem to get a straight answer at all. Just a waiting game unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Downloaded

Can anyone tell me when calculating the new-build house price, should VAT be included or not? Eg. If the house is advertised by Developer at 400k, is this the house price used to determine the relief available or should it be 346k (i.e. minus VAT at 13.5%)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bawnboylad wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when calculating the new-build house price, should VAT be included or not? Eg. If the house is advertised by Developer at 400k, is this the house price used to determine the relief available or should it be 346k (i.e. minus VAT at 13.5%)

It's the total price, so 400k in your example.

Advertisement