Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

bridie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can clarify something for me.

Currently waiting to sign contracts on new house.
    Builder is not registered yet.

Logged in to my revenue and it says that I can now make a claim by uploading a copy of contracts etc.

I was under the impression that when I sign contracts I would have to pay the remainder of the deposit less what I had already paid and less what the developer was going to get? But that I could only do this if the Developer was registered...............

So if I sign my contracts now am I paying the full deposit and then looking for a refund?

Slightly confused!

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Has the deposit amount being reduced from previous phases? A friend bought a house last week and the deposit was 5+10k, where previously it was 5+25k, so the builder is not expecting to get that on the contract sign but afterwards, as they are not registered yet.

Anyway I would check with the solicitor before signing

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

pilly wrote: »
    I'm getting the sense in that people may run into trouble because developers are not registered and some won't be because I'd imagine they have to have their own taxes up to date.

Would I be right in thinking that?

You're not wrong, that could be the scenario I'm afraid... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm getting the sense in that people may run into trouble because developers are not registered and some won't be because I'd imagine they have to have their own taxes up to date.

Yes we are sale agreed on a house nearly 5 weeks now. We were all ready to sign contracts but when we brought up that we expected to pay deposit minus the htb relief we are eligible for they said they need to ask the builder about it. That was 10 days ago and haven't heard anything from vendors solicitors despite our solicitor asking them for an update multiple times. It's all very frustrating not knowing what is going to happen, will be devastated if it falls through because of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yes we are sale agreed on a house nearly 5 weeks now. We were all ready to sign contracts but when we brought up that we expected to pay deposit minus the htb relief we are eligible for they said they need to ask the builder about it. That was 10 days ago and haven't heard anything from vendors solicitors despite our solicitor asking them for an update multiple times. It's all very frustrating not knowing what is going to happen, will be devastated if it falls through because of this.

Honestly don't see why the revenue won't pay it directly to FTB. just another way for them to collect taxes if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

This is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

So at the moment just 23 developers are signed up to the scheme. I think in hindsight it would have made more sense to have the refund returned directly to the buyers bank account rather than the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Ive applied as a retrospective buyer. My fiancee ended up owing 50 euro of tax which we paid 2 weeks ago. It's still saying "under review" and that I'm still "awaiting confirmation to join the group", even though I already have! Emailed through MyAccount (no reply) and rang them directly and no one seems to know whats happening! Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

MissElle wrote: »
    Ive applied as a retrospective buyer. My fiancee ended up owing 50 euro of tax which we paid 2 weeks ago. It's still saying "under review" and that I'm still "awaiting confirmation to join the group", even though I already have! Emailed through MyAccount (no reply) and rang them directly and no one seems to know whats happening! Very frustrating

Just a suggestion but I would recommend cancelling and reapplying.
    I had an issue where I wanted to claim a tax credit and I also applied for the p21 at the same time. This meant I was still at under review after three weeks even though I had received the p21.
    I cancelled and reapplied and the application went straight through to getting the codes.
    Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I had same issue. U have to apply for tax clearance for the year u paid the balance.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I had same issue. U have to apply for tax clearance for the year u paid the balance.

We have not yet received the updated p21 which I suspect is holding us up. Ive since requested it today for the year that was affected, would this suffice or would we still have to apply for tax clearance as well? No one I spoke to mentioned this.

• Advertisement

louise1985 wrote: »
    I had an issue where I wanted to claim a tax credit and I also applied for the p21 at the same time. This meant I was still at under review after three weeks even though I had received the p21.
    I cancelled and reapplied and the application went straight through to getting the codes.
    Might be worth a try.

Did u get payment yet?

We have not yet received the updated p21 which I suspect is holding us up. Ive since requested it today for the year that was affected, would this suffice or would we still have to apply for tax clearance as well? No one I spoke to mentioned this.

I'm not sure but I applied for tax clearance anyway. Then when I called back they weee able to get me past that review stage.

louise1985 wrote: »
    Might be worth a try.

I don't even have the option to cancel it when i log in. Did you have to ring them to cancel it? If we get the p21 and still have the same problem Ill definitely do this

Did u get payment yet?

No we are self build so it's gone to the solicitor now for the final confirmation

I don't even have the option to cancel it when i log in. Did you have to ring them to cancel it? If we get the p21 and still have the same problem Ill definitely do this

I cancelled it online, there was an option to cancel application and then I just restarted the process again

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Has anyone got any info from revenue on whether the scheme applies to NAMA properties?
    If so, would it be paid direct to the agency or refunded to the first time buyer's account?

We've put a holding deposit down on a house which is about 14 weeks from being completed, the development was received by NAMA and is being finished in the coming weeks. My partner spoke to a person in revenue who said that they don't see why it wouldn't be eligible but that's just their opinion.... anyone heard anything on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MaggyB

Antamojo wrote: »
    Has anyone got any info from revenue on whether the scheme applies to NAMA properties?
    If so, would it be paid direct to the agency or refunded to the first time buyer's account?

We've put a holding deposit down on a house which is about 14 weeks from being completed, the development was received by NAMA and is being finished in the coming weeks. My partner spoke to a person in revenue who said that they don't see why it wouldn't be eligible but that's just their opinion.... anyone heard anything on this?

We are buying from a Nama development and the builder just appeared on the qualifying contractor list this week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Just to muddy the waters a bit. I am in a situation where I have paid the booking deposit for a new build 6 months ago. The new build was the last house in the last phase of a development. The house is scheduled to be built shortly and will take six months. I am due to sign my contract and I have 10% deposit in the next 2 weeks. I have already been approved for mortgage.

I wanted to see if I could avail of the HTB scheme. The contractor is not on the qualifying list and will not be signing up to the scheme as there are no more new builds to be built. They have requested 10% upfront which I luckily have.

However I rang the revenue yesterday advising of my particular situation regarding the contractor not signing up to the scheme and how this would affect my claim for the HTB scheme.

Interestingly the revenue did advise me that as long as I am first time buyer with the relevant tax paid over the last four years I will still receive the grant in the form of a lump sum irrespective if the contractor signs up to the scheme or not.

But I hope this is something that other people are hearing from the revenue as well.

I understand issues are still being ironed but I hope this is the case for similar people who are worrying about the qualifying contractor issue at the moment.

Interestingly the revenue did advise me that as long as I am first time buyer with the relevant tax paid over the last four years I will still receive the grant in the form of a lump sum irrespective if the contractor signs up to the scheme or not.

Hmm very interesting, going to ring revenue tomorrow and see if I can confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Collyb101

Please let us know how you get on with the call.?.

• Advertisement

Just to muddy the waters a bit. I am in a situation where I have paid the booking deposit for a new build 6 months ago. The new build was the last house in the last phase of a development. The house is scheduled to be built shortly and will take six months. I am due to sign my contract and I have 10% deposit in the next 2 weeks. I have already been approved for mortgage.

I wanted to see if I could avail of the HTB scheme. The contractor is not on the qualifying list and will not be signing up to the scheme as there are no more new builds to be built. They have requested 10% upfront which I luckily have.

However I rang the revenue yesterday advising of my particular situation regarding the contractor not signing up to the scheme and how this would affect my claim for the HTB scheme.

But I hope this is something that other people are hearing from the revenue as well.

I understand issues are still being ironed but I hope this is the case for similar people who are worrying about the qualifying contractor issue at the moment.

Be wary though, I've had instances before when someone from revenue has said something on the phone that hasn't materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 james214

Those of you who have got paid (retrospective), your contractors were listed on the revenue website before you got paid, right?
    Am still waiting for our contractors to register... :(

Got mine into the account today :)

Was ur done on the new system after the 28th or done manually. How long were u waiting after u done the claim?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Be wary though, I've had instances before when someone from revenue has said something on the phone that hasn't materialised.
    +1 Revenue give opinions, not facts. I think that is how they phrase it.
    james214 wrote: »
    Those of you who have got paid (retrospective), your contractors were listed on the revenue website before you got paid, right?
    Nope, my builder is not on the list. I didn't think that was relevant for retrospective buyers as the money is not going to them but maybe that has changed. We were never asked for the details of the builder at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

james214 wrote: »

Mine wasn't (and still isn't) on the list. I had last talked to them last Friday and they said they were in the middle of applying but didn't hold up our application in the end. Unless they just haven't updated the list of course.
    Was ur done on the new system after the 28th or done manually. How long were u waiting after u done the claim?

I loaded all my info manually on January 13th. But I also only saw that new screen on Monday and completed that as well, they had gotten back to me by Monday evening with a message in My Enquiries saying it would be paid shortly.

So rang revenue and was told we should be able to claim regardless of whether builder is registered. I think the scenario is that we would have to pay the full deposit when signing contracts. Then submit signed contract to revenue and receive the htb relief we are eligible for back in a lump sum as if we were retrospective applicants. To be honest though the guy I was speaking to didn't seem 100% sure on this, he was just like "yeah I don't see why it would be a problem?".

So rang revenue and was told we should be able to claim regardless of whether builder is registered. I think the scenario is that we would have to pay the full deposit when signing contracts. Then submit signed contract to revenue and receive the htb relief we are eligible for back in a lump sum as if we were retrospective applicants. To be honest though the guy I was speaking to didn't seem 100% sure on this, he was just like "yeah I don't see why it would be a problem?".

Neiter do I, neither do most people but by the rules I imagine it would be a possible issue. I'd prefer it in writing from them if you can get it.

So what happens if you don't have the full deposit? This scheme is supposed to help people who haven't got enough. :mad:

Revenue drive me mad with "yeah, it shouldn't be a problem". Until it is!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Neiter do I, neither do most people but by the rules I imagine it would be a possible issue. I'd prefer it in writing from them if you can get it.

I got the wife to ring revenue after I did and she got a completely different answer. They said to her that unless builder is registered we are not entitled to make a claim at all. Between our builder refusing to respond to us(via solicitors) and revenue giving different answers this is driving me mad. Just have to go back to waiting now :mad:

• Advertisement

I got the wife to ring revenue after I did and she got a completely different answer. They said to her that unless builder is registered we are not entitled to make a claim at all. Between our builder refusing to respond to us(via solicitors) and revenue giving different answers this is driving me mad. Just have to go back to waiting now :mad:

I hate to say it but I think the guy you were talking too is completely wrong. You could get lucky and it goes through but I would not be enthusiastic.

Advertisement