Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I got the wife to ring revenue after I did and she got a completely different answer. They said to her that unless builder is registered we are not entitled to make a claim at all. Between our builder refusing to respond to us(via solicitors) and revenue giving different answers this is driving me mad. Just have to go back to waiting now :mad:

Such a load of balls, proving that this grant was not meant for FTB but for developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CramCycle wrote: »
    I hate to say it but I think the guy you were talking too is completely wrong. You could get lucky and it goes through but I would not be enthusiastic.

Yeah absolutely, its really just out of our hands now. Going to start looking at houses again this weekend cause I've a bad feeling our builder won't register.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Mine wasn't (and still isn't) on the list. I had last talked to them last Friday and they said they were in the middle of applying but didn't hold up our application in the end. Unless they just haven't updated the list of course.

I loaded all my info manually on January 13th. But I also only saw that new screen on Monday and completed that as well, they had gotten back to me by Monday evening with a message in My Enquiries saying it would be paid shortly.

I had all in around the same as u but got a message Tuesday saying they were not processed manually after the 28th so I had to complete it online which I done Tuesday night. I got no message saying about payment. Did u have to give any codes to builder or bank even tho ur retrospective?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Applied back on the opening day and both Revenue and I made a mistake (group application issue). Easier to re apply and had everything sorted within a matter of days. Just waiting to get back to me now to see if our claim is successful. we were extremely lucky and signed the contracts a few days after the announcement and moved in a few days after signing contract. Fingers crossed we get the refund soon, will help pay off smaller debts no end! 

Easy straightforward process in fairness, barring the few irregular situations people seem to have, but thats going to happen every time when something like this comes up.

tbayers wrote: »
    Applied back on the opening day and both Revenue and I made a mistake (group application issue). Easier to re apply and had everything sorted within a matter of days. Just waiting to get back to me now to see if our claim is successful. we were extremely lucky and signed the contracts a few days after the announcement and moved in a few days after signing contract. Fingers crossed we get the refund soon, will help pay off smaller debts no end! 

Easy straightforward process in fairness, barring the few irregular situations people seem to have, but thats going to happen every time when something like this comes up.

Iv found it far from straightforward and working on it the last 30 days. Don't get ahead of urself to u get the confirmed message about ur money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Iv found it far from straightforward and working on it the last 30 days. Don't get ahead of urself to u get the confirmed message about ur money.

They rang me to say that the PAYE couldn't be split 50/50 as it wasn't paid 50/50 if you get me. Just had to change the ratio then the money was in the bank in a few days.

I found it really straightforward too - where are you running into issues?

If your tax affairs are in order, it is very straightforward. I can see where the difficulties arise with people who have signed contracts between December and January and have already paid a deposit but they might not be able to claim under a retrospective buyer. But if your tax affairs are not in order isn't it up to the claimant to get them sorted?
    Other than that you upload your builder contract and mortgage details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I submitted an inquiry on January 3rd about whether or not we should apply as retrospective or not as we have signed contracts and paid deposit in October but not closing until April.

I finally received word back, one day short of a month later, I received 4 phone calls within the space of 30 minutes each one contradicting the last and am none the wiser still. All from the same person

They rang me to say that the PAYE couldn't be split 50/50 as it wasn't paid 50/50 if you get me. Just had to change the ratio then the money was in the bank in a few days.

I found it really straightforward too - where are you running into issues?

I had an issue with 1 year tax paid the few euro had to wait for tax clearance. Then I'd an issue adding my wife which we eventually got sorted. Then we were held up for no reason on under review. Then we got that sorted we were asked to reapply because it still was saying my wife still wasn't added. Then we got all sorted documents sent in the girl sent on access code and paperwork to Kilkenny to the claim department. Then it ran over the 28th and the new claims system was online so because they didn't see my stuff till after that date they asked me to apply online as they were not being done manually any more. I done that got all sorted but still did not get any message saying payment will be on the way.
    I rang today and they are following it up.

We paid deposite and signed in November. Moving in soon.

The girl I'm dealing with is very helpful but there just not fully understanding a lot about it which is not her fault.

I submitted an inquiry on January 3rd about whether or not we should apply as retrospective or not as we have signed contracts and paid deposit in October but not closing until April.

I finally received word back, one day short of a month later, I received 4 phone calls within the space of 30 minutes each one contradicting the last and am none the wiser still. All from the same person
    It doesn't say anywhere that you have to prove that you paid the deposit yet, it simple states that you have to prove the date of contract signing and mortgage details. So you should have just sent it in as is without a query and bobs your uncle. I had to restart my application because I couldn't add my partner, was easier to start again. Did that on a Friday, had the claim in yesterday (Wednesday). Pretty efficient if you ask me. The issue with the system not being online pre 28th seems silly ok, But re apply, it wont take long this time.

• Advertisement

It doesn't say anywhere that you have to prove that you paid the deposit yet, it simple states that you have to prove the date of contract signing and mortgage details. So you should have just sent it in as is without a query and bobs your uncle. I had to restart my application because I couldn't add my partner, was easier to start again. Did that on a Friday, had the claim in yesterday (Wednesday). Pretty efficient if you ask me. The issue with the system not being online pre 28th seems silly ok, But re apply, it wont take long this time.

But did u get the money?

But did u get the money?
    No I didn't as it was just submitted yesterday. I am not one to expect it straight away and if it take a couple of weeks so be it, I imagine there are a few thousand claims to go through. For the retrospective buyers I imagine people don't need it as a matter of urgency as the deposit is paid already. People might say what are you on about, but at the end of the day its true.
    For people relying on it for a deposit on a new home in 2017 I can see the frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

No I didn't as it was just submitted yesterday. I am not one to expect it straight away and if it take a couple of weeks so be it, I imagine there are a few thousand claims to go through. For the retrospective buyers I imagine people don't need it as a matter of urgency as the deposit is paid already. People might say what are you on about, but at the end of the day its true.
    For people relying on it for a deposit on a new home in 2017 I can see the frustration.

Just waiting on my OH to get her paperwork for the 2016 tax in place before applying, our builders arent registered yet either. And have not yet confirmed which mortgage to go with as we have full approval with several lenders, if we end up choosing a different lender to the one we put down here are there any implications?

Just got a call from revenue. Retrospective buyers builders have to be on the list to verify the house.
    This is what's holding us up. Did anyone have to give there contracter a code and how did they verify it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just got a call from revenue. Retrospective buyers builders have to be on the list to verify the house.
    This is what's holding us up. Did anyone have to give there contracter a code and how did they verify it online?

I can confirm that I received a ball of money into my account last week and did not have to supply any details of my builder. His name definitely isn't on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andreip

Just received Revenue reply that we need to pay underpayment in full before to claim HTB for 2016.
    Application was cancelled, but once I will pay, I can create a new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I sent our builder the form to fill out and they completed it and they are now listed.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/htb-contractor-registration-form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does anyone know how long it is taking builders to get registered after they submit the HTB1 form?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can confirm that I received a ball of money into my account last week and did not have to supply any details of my builder. His name definitely isn't on the list.

Nice the way they moved the goalposts. We did not need to have that either. The fact that revenue can see your LPT registration, which would include if it was a new build or not (for exemption from the LPT until 2019).

This is what frustrates me. I applied weeks ago but because things changed after the 28th Iv to go this way about it. Yet it never asked me anywhere for any builder details. Now getting the builders to register is the problem.

• Advertisement

Question for whom underpayment was a blocker, if I fully paid underpayment tax via myAccount, should I need to wait for a payment confirmation from Revenue of that tax or I can go and submit a new HTB application and they will check anyway if I paid this tax?

Cheers for any answer

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

andreip wrote: »
    Question for whom underpayment was a blocker, if I fully paid underpayment tax via myAccount, should I need to wait for a payment confirmation from Revenue of that tax or I can go and submit a new HTB application and they will check anyway if I paid this tax?

Cheers for any answer

I applied for HTB, then made paid any underpayments owed afterwards. I then sent a message via the my enquiries section to say I settled all underpayments and got a message back to say HTB application was approved.

However it's still showing as pending on my side so rang them and they said it's a system error and their IT team are looking into it. But not sure if this was related to underpayment issue.

sibersha wrote: »
    I applied for HTB, then made paid any underpayments owed afterwards. I then sent a message via the my enquiries section to say I settled all underpayments and got a message back to say HTB application was approved.

However it's still showing as pending on my side so rang them and they said it's a system error and their IT team are looking into it. But not sure if this was related to underpayment issue.

Many thanks for reply, I will leave 2-3 days for payment to go through

andreip wrote: »
    Many thanks for reply, I will leave 2-3 days for payment to go through

U will need to apply for tax clearance for that year and they have to issue u a p21. This also held me up a week or more.

Well, I already did that, in this way I found how much to pay for underpayment tax.
    Should I do again p21 after I paid underpayment for that year?
    I dont think I need it twice as I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

You should receive an amended tax credit form in the post a few days after outstanding balance is cleared.

sibersha wrote: »
    You should receive an amended tax credit form in the post a few days after outstanding balance is cleared.
    Thanks for reply

But what about my new HTB, should I wait for this form or its ok to create the new application as they will see anyway that Ive paid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Could I confirm that if I signed my contract and paid 10% deposit in Nov 2016 that I would qualify as a "retrospective" buyer and get the money into my account? Going to the developer at this stage is pointless!

Also, since I signed in Nov 2016 does this mean I cannot claim 2016 tax (e.g. 2013-2016) and have to claim 2012-2015? Anybody find this to be an issue or will I be able to claim 2016?

Trying to piece things together from Revenue is a complete mess! They could have made things far clearer!

Wopp wrote: »
    Could I confirm that if I signed my contract and paid 10% deposit in Nov 2016 that I would qualify as a "retrospective" buyer and get the money into my account? Going to the developer at this stage is pointless!

Also, since I signed in Nov 2016 does this mean I cannot claim 2016 tax (e.g. 2013-2016) and have to claim 2012-2015? Anybody find this to be an issue or will I be able to claim 2016?

Trying to piece things together from Revenue is a complete mess! They could have made things far clearer!
    No you can still claim for 2016 just have to go through all that process before putting in application for the HTB scheme. Once you have your P60 declare your tax for 2016 and get a tax clearing statement and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 primrose1990

Hi all, quick question - we have made our claim and have our codes. My understanding was that I pass these codes onto our builder and our loan provider for them to verify. The lady in the bank who we dealt with for our mortgage is saying that they don't have anything to do with the scheme? Am I wrong or is she? Restrospective claim if that makes any difference

Advertisement