Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pelicannon

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'd say ring again and ask are any other documents outstanding, or as I did, just tell them that you have submitted all required information, is there anything else required? They should say no, all looks good and then magically you get the "you wil recieve" notification a few hours later. Reading some of the thread, it does look like it depends who you get as to how well this works.

Maybe with the changes to the system you just got caught in limbo land. If nothing happens within a week, it might be time for the nuclear option and restart the application.

Similar story here - how is the final confirmation worded?

They have said twice that there is nothing more on my part but I haven't received a message to say that payment is being processed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pelicannon wrote: »
    Similar story here - how is the final confirmation worded?

They have said twice that there is nothing more on my part but I haven't received a message to say that payment is being processed.
    Hi CramCycle, Your HTB claim has been processed and the refund will issue shortly. Kind Regards, Insert Random Revenue employee name here, HTB Claims Team.

As above in MyEnquiries, as a reply to an earlier enquiry where i had attached all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pelicannon

Thanks for that.

Called them today, seems that they are telling me to do all the things that I have already done.
    I guess all I can do now really is wait... they don't seem to have any idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pelicannon wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Called them today, seems that they are telling me to do all the things that I have already done.
    I guess all I can do now really is wait... they don't seem to have any idea.

It can be very hit or miss with them. Best to call back regularly if nothing is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Since everyone here is buying or are through the process of buying a new home... From putting down a deposit until you actually had to draw down the mortgage, how long was it?

• Advertisement

izzyflusky wrote: »
    Since everyone here is buying or are through the process of buying a new home... From putting down a deposit until you actually had to draw down the mortgage, how long was it?

Ours was within a month. Booking deposit, then about a month of the solicitors faffing about, then the balance paid to our solicitor (calculated fees, deposit balance, a few other niggly fees) including any and all outstanding fees. From that point it was less than a month but our solicitor said ours was quicker than usual, about 6 weeks beginning to end including getting boundary lines redrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lili88

In case this helps anyone .....

My application will not let me go any further at the moment. It is telling me that I have not filed my form 12's even though I have (and revenue can confirm over the phone that I have too)

I rang again yesterday and was told I have an underpayment of €1 and although it does not tell me online or by post, the only way to go any further on the HTC application is to pay that €1.

I have rang up and paid it and hoping everything will be sorted Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

izzyflusky wrote: »

Mod note

This is not an appropriate thread to discuss this. This thread is for discussion of the help to buy scheme as per the thread title. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

abrushka wrote: »
    I signed my contract in Jan '17 and paid over 10% deposit. I only started my application this week. Am I correct in saying the 5% gets paid directly to the developer now?

Why is everyone linking this to the deposit?

You have to pay for 100% of the house.

You have paid 10% in deposit to the builder.

You now owe 90% to the builder.

Assuming you are getting a mortgage for the 90%...just reduce your mortgage by 5% to 85%. Builder gets remaining 5% from Revenue.

Problem solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AGUSIA1

Assuming you are getting a mortgage for the 90%...just reduce your mortgage by 5% to 85%. Builder gets remaining 5% from Revenue.

Problem solved?

A lot of people are planning on using this 5% to furnish the house, reducing the mortgage by 5% won't do this.

The 5% is there to help people save for a deposit, id imagine thats why people are linking the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

AGUSIA1 wrote: »
    A lot of people are planning on using this 5% to furnish the house, reducing the mortgage by 5% won't do this.

The 5% is there to help people save for a deposit, id imagine thats why people are linking the two.

That only works for retrospective applications though. For new purchases the money is paid direct to the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AGUSIA1

athtrasna wrote: »
    That only works for retrospective applications though. For new purchases the money is paid direct to the developer.

100% correct Athtrasna.

AGUSIA1 wrote: »
    100% correct Athtrasna.

Exactly my point - the 5% is going to the builder either way. Whether the builder gets it as part of the 10% deposit or as part of the 90% outstanding balance, it makes no difference to the house buyer. The house buyer completing sale in 2017 will never get the 5% from Revenue.

There have been suggestions on here that if you complete sale of house in 2017 and then apply to Revenue for the HTB that Revenue will give the 5% to the house buyer. There is no formal information from Revenue to suggest this.

You would have to assume that if you do not apply for HTB during the sale process and 5% does not go to the builder that you have lost this 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

SO my claim is gone in, rang them and they the people in Kilkenny are looking at it. That was two weeks ago. Even if my claim is retrospective, do I need to pass on details to builder, banks etc?

Problem solved?

Very first line on the help to buy article on revenue.ie

"The Help to Buy incentive is designed to assist first-time buyers with obtaining the deposit required to purchase or self-build a new house or apartment to live in as their home."

Exactly my point - the 5% is going to the builder either way. Whether the builder gets it as part of the 10% deposit or as part of the 90% outstanding balance, it makes no difference to the house buyer. The house buyer completing sale in 2017 will never get the 5% from Revenue.

There have been suggestions on here that if you complete sale of house in 2017 and then apply to Revenue for the HTB that Revenue will give the 5% to the house buyer. There is no formal information from Revenue to suggest this.

You would have to assume that if you do not apply for HTB during the sale process and 5% does not go to the builder that you have lost this 5%.

Yes it's a bit of a grey area, I did ask them this exact question when I rang last week. All I got was vague non committal answers that they thought it shouldn't be a problem to claim retrospectively for a house bought in 2017. I'd say you could probably do it if you claim ignorance of the process and plead your case.

Very first line on the help to buy article on revenue.ie

"The Help to Buy incentive is designed to assist first-time buyers with obtaining the deposit required to purchase or self-build a new house or apartment to live in as their home."

Sure that's the intention of it. But in terms of paying the builder for the house it makes no odds whether he gets it as part of the deposit or as part of the final payment.

So for the previous poster who has already paid their deposit there should be no concern. There is no requirement from Revenue that says the 5% from Revenue must be part of the 10% deposit.

The stats show that most first time buyers have well in excess of 10% deposit anyhow. So most first time buyers will be handing over more than 10% in cash - either as part of the initial 10% deposit or in final payment.

In terms of retrospective claim. I don't think claiming ignorance works with Revenue. I don't see the grey area - details of how the scheme works are outlined on Revenue site.

What someone from Revenue tells you over the phone is irrelevant. You can ring up Revenue after closing on your sale and say some guy told you over the phone you could claim retrospectively, but you won't get anywhere. Revenue clearly states in writing how the scheme works.

The only assumption you could safely make now is if you don't get the 5% during the sale process then you lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm still waiting for my builder to register on the list. Has anyone actually got money since the new method came out after jan 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Having applied on Jan 3rd, got approval on 20th of Jan via My Enquiries correspondence. However status still showing as pending, several calls and messages later nothing has changed, been told it's been escalated to their help desk, so still stuck on phase one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lili88

An update to my last post

Lili88 wrote: »
    In case this helps anyone .....

My application will not let me go any further at the moment. It is telling me that I have not filed my form 12's even though I have (and revenue can confirm over the phone that I have too)

I rang again yesterday and was told I have an underpayment of €1 and although it does not tell me online or by post, the only way to go any further on the HTC application is to pay that €1.

I have rang up and paid it and hoping everything will be sorted Monday

Application was still blocked today. Rang and they said they will have to enter my form 12s manually on their system and that it should be sorted tomorrow 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Lambada Crazy

This is really getting difficult, From what I see here, nobody has actually received the money after it went "automatic" from the 29th.

My builder sent in the details last week, And I thought that this might be the end of it, but still nothing.

I was told last week that it is now fully automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Auburn_

Hi all, just want to summarise the steps that we have gone through. As a previous blogger mentioned the Revenue guys are really helpful but you just have to battle through a couple of minutes of having a conversation with an automated voice with you slowly calling your PPS number and the robot not having a clue what you are saying at all...after that (2-3min) the revenue guys are really helpful :)
    Ok here are the steps we took;
    1. Check the site revenue site to see if your building contractor is on the list. If they are not (like they weren't for us) get in contact with them asap and ask them if they could contact Revenue and start the process of becoming a "qualified contractor under the Help to Buy Scheme".
    This took a good few weeks for us so start here and by the time you get further down the process it won't be your building contractor holding you up!
    2. Submit your P12 forms. You will need your P60 forms for the years that you want to submit. It is pretty easy as it is an electronic method from 2013 onwards.
    3.There is a choice of selecting a max of 4 previous year to use your P12 forms for (This form basically makes sure that you have been paying the tax that you should have been paying). From clarifying with Revenue this is a max of 4 years and a min of 1 year i.e. Just select eg 2015 only and start the application process. **You do not have to select more than one year!**
    4. You will have to submit a P21 (basically saying that you are 100% fine with the tax back for rent allowance, medical expenses etc) for the year(s) that you have chosen above. Instructions are on the revenue site. Here I had a few medical receipts that I hadn't submitted yet so I just decided to cut my loses and not waste more time on submitting them now and I just said I was grand with the medical expenses that I submitted for the year that we selected.
    5. Keep an eye on your emails and check your revenue account every so often. They will let you know when your application has gone through. With this they will give you an access code and an application code
    6. Contract the contractors who built your house and also your mortgage provider and provide them with the access code and the application code. Our mortgage provider are now holding us up at this point because after 2 weeks they had not progressed with our HTB codes. So I'd suggest here to keep on their backs a little bit to make sure they do. They didn't even know that they needed to do anything with the scheme so prepare to educate others are you go through this process (hence my post here today :) )
    7. You will then still need to check your revenue account (they didn't send us an email on the next step) when you will be asked to submit your contract. Now this is the step that I am on. I am assuming that they mean our mortgage contract so I'll figure out how to submit that later on today.
    Ps I tried to put in urls above but because I'm a new user they wouldn't let me post em up! :(

My questions for you guys are...

Has anyone progressed past this step?

Any tips on how to submit a contract via my enquiries as I didn't see a way of doing it this morning!

Auburn_ wrote: »
    Our mortgage provider are now holding us up at this point because after 2 weeks they had not progressed with our HTB codes. So I'd suggest here to keep on their backs a little bit to make sure they do. They didn't even know that they needed to do anything with the scheme so prepare to educate others are you go through this process (hence my post here today :) )

What does your mortgage provider have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FrancoThetanko

<quote snipped>

Hi All,

I'm at the stage where we need our developers to provide their access code on the revenue site.....have been chasing the mortgage guys so hoping that once it comes to their turn that they are ready........
    Does anybody know someone that has actually completed this process yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

@Auburn
    Thanks for your detailed post.
    I would have thought the contracts required by revenue were the contracts for the house from the vendor and not the mortgage documents. Not 100% sure tho.

Our mortgage provider are now holding us up at this point because after 2 weeks they had not progressed with our HTB codes. So I'd suggest here to keep on their backs a little bit to make sure they do. They didn't even know that they needed to do anything with the scheme so prepare to educate others are you go through this process (hence my post here today :) )

I'm almost certain the mortgage people(aka bank) have very little involvement in the process. In our application they just asked for our application/access codes because they wanted proof that we would have enough money to buy the house before issuing the loan offer, without the HTB scheme we wouldn't have had enough money. Thats the extent of it.
    Blingy wrote: »
    @Auburn
    Thanks for your detailed post.
    I would have thought the contracts required by revenue were the contracts for the house from the vendor and not the mortgage documents. Not 100% sure tho.

Yes this is exactly what they require, signed by both yourselves and the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Banks only need to get involved if you are self building.

We are at the stage where we need our developer to contact revenue with our access and application codes to confirm our details. I asked about the bank getting involved and they said no need if not self build.

Will be pushing my developer to contact Revenue and hopefully get closer to closure. Have already submitted contract and mortgage offer letter via My Enquiries.

Any tips on how to submit a contract via my enquiries as I didn't see a way of doing it this morning!

Save your contract to the desktop of your PC and then go to My Enquires on the revenue site once you have log in to My Account.

Select Add New Enquiry
    Enquiry relates to: Select Help To Buy Scheme
    More specifically: Fist Time Buyer Claim Documents
    Reference: Make up one. I used my PPS number as a reference.
    Enquiry Details: Input a brief note on what you are uploading.
    Input your e mail address.

Select choose file at the bottom which will allow you chose a document saved on your PC. Go to desktop, select contract and press open. Repeat process if uploading mortgage offer letter and or solicitor letter.

Once you have loaded files press submit enquiry.

morrga wrote: »
    Select choose file at the bottom which will allow you chose a document saved on your PC. Go to desktop, select contract and press open. Repeat process if uploading mortgage offer letter and or solicitor letter.

Once you have loaded files press submit enquiry.

I uploaded all mine on the one enquiry, if it makes it easier.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I uploaded all mine on the one enquiry, if it makes it easier.

I uploaded all mine in one go too but I can see how my wording is confusing. I meant repeat file upload not repeat enquiry steps so thanks for highlighting.

Advertisement