Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Arse Biscuits

Auburn_ wrote: »
    Hi all, just want to summarise the steps that we have gone through. As a previous blogger mentioned the Revenue guys are really helpful but you just have to battle through a couple of minutes of having a conversation with an automated voice with you slowly calling your PPS number and the robot not having a clue what you are saying at all...after that (2-3min) the revenue guys are really helpful :)
    Ok here are the steps we took;
    1. Check the site revenue site to see if your building contractor is on the list. If they are not (like they weren't for us) get in contact with them asap and ask them if they could contact Revenue and start the process of becoming a "qualified contractor under the Help to Buy Scheme".
    This took a good few weeks for us so start here and by the time you get further down the process it won't be your building contractor holding you up!
    2. Submit your P12 forms. You will need your P60 forms for the years that you want to submit. It is pretty easy as it is an electronic method from 2013 onwards.
    3.There is a choice of selecting a max of 4 previous year to use your P12 forms for (This form basically makes sure that you have been paying the tax that you should have been paying). From clarifying with Revenue this is a max of 4 years and a min of 1 year i.e. Just select eg 2015 only and start the application process. **You do not have to select more than one year!**
    4. You will have to submit a P21 (basically saying that you are 100% fine with the tax back for rent allowance, medical expenses etc) for the year(s) that you have chosen above. Instructions are on the revenue site. Here I had a few medical receipts that I hadn't submitted yet so I just decided to cut my loses and not waste more time on submitting them now and I just said I was grand with the medical expenses that I submitted for the year that we selected.
    5. Keep an eye on your emails and check your revenue account every so often. They will let you know when your application has gone through. With this they will give you an access code and an application code
    6. Contract the contractors who built your house and also your mortgage provider and provide them with the access code and the application code. Our mortgage provider are now holding us up at this point because after 2 weeks they had not progressed with our HTB codes. So I'd suggest here to keep on their backs a little bit to make sure they do. They didn't even know that they needed to do anything with the scheme so prepare to educate others are you go through this process (hence my post here today :) )
    7. You will then still need to check your revenue account (they didn't send us an email on the next step) when you will be asked to submit your contract. Now this is the step that I am on. I am assuming that they mean our mortgage contract so I'll figure out how to submit that later on today.
    Ps I tried to put in urls above but because I'm a new user they wouldn't let me post em up! :(

My questions for you guys are...

Has anyone progressed past this step?

Any tips on how to submit a contract via my enquiries as I didn't see a way of doing it this morning!

Thanks for your post

How long did it take you for them to reply to say your application has gone through after submitting the P21's and getting your application and access code? As i've applied at the weekend and haven't heard anything from them yet.

Thanks In Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Auburn_

What does your mortgage provider have to do?

They need the access code and the application code to verify how much the maximum is that you can get on the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

They need the access code and the application code to verify how much the maximum is that you can get on the rebate.

Banks only gets involved if self build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Does any one know if you are saving as a couple can you both get tax rebates? As in if you both had 20k paid in income tax each would you get 40k as a rebate?

Thanks for your post

How long did it take you for them to reply to say your application has gone through after submitting the P21's and getting your application and access code? As i've applied at the weekend and haven't heard anything from them yet.

Thanks In Advance

One you have the P12 and P21 forms sent it really is so quick. It's an automated system so it's kinda instant.

So it took 10days: from Jan 16th when we got confirmation that my application stated to being accept to Jan 26th when we got the access code and application code. Best of luck with your application too :)

We are at Feb 14th now and the building constructor was just confirmed as a qualifying contractor just yesterday. We are still waiting on our mortgage advisor and our building constructor to verify that the access code and the application code we provided them has gone trough their systems so that Revenue can continue with their next step. It really is inch by inch but we'll all get there :)

• Advertisement

morrga wrote: »
    Banks only gets involved if self build.

Really??! Ok, it's kinda misleading then when Revenue say your access code and your application code needs to be sent onto your building contractor as well as your mortgage provider!! I'll double check this with my mortgage advisor. They are meant to ring me back in the next few days. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Does any one know if you are saving as a couple can you both get tax rebates? As in if you both had 20k paid in income tax each would you get 40k as a rebate?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 46 siobhan1983

Really??! Ok, it's kinda misleading then when Revenue say your access code and your application code needs to be sent onto your building contractor as well as your mortgage provider!! I'll double check this with my mortgage advisor. They are meant to ring me back in the next few days. Thanks for the heads up :)

Just to let you know I spoke to a lady this evening about it. My application as a retrospective buyer has gone through and I'm at that stage too. She rang me and told me that there are a few files that hadn't gotten through the help section. I had uploaded contracts etc and gotten codes. My solicitor ensured me that I qualified as I didn't draw down mortgage until August for a new build purchase. Now she is telling me I won't qualify as I signed contract before July! Whole process is so misleading that my solicitor who has been excellent throughout was positive I qualified for it. Now they are changing details or going back on what they have said. I'm really upset over it all evening as I was sure I met all the criteria. There definitions and cut offs seem to be changing and interpreting them differently. So frustrating now after having multiple correspondence with them and going through the whole lot so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Just to let you know I spoke to a lady this evening about it. My application as a retrospective buyer has gone through and I'm at that stage too. She rang me and told me that there are a few files that hadn't gotten through the help section. I had uploaded contracts etc and gotten codes. My solicitor ensured me that I qualified as I didn't draw down mortgage until August for a new build purchase. Now she is telling me I won't qualify as I signed contract before July! Whole process is so misleading that my solicitor who has been excellent throughout was positive I qualified for it. Now they are changing details or going back on what they have said. I'm really upset over it all evening as I was sure I met all the criteria. There definitions and cut offs seem to be changing and interpreting them differently. So frustrating now after having multiple correspondence with them and going through the whole lot so far.
    Did you sign your contracts before the 19th of July. If so im afraid you won't qualify. Which I find to be ridiculousness, surely it should be the day the house is finalised, ie the day you move into the house! We were lucky, we signed the contracts on the 22nd of July, very close!

tbayers wrote: »
    Did you sign your contracts before the 19th of July. If so im afraid you won't qualify. Which I find to be ridiculousness, surely it should be the day the house is finalised, ie the day you move into the house! We were lucky, we signed the contracts on the 22nd of July, very close!

It's very very unfair. Apparently if it was a self build I would have been ok but because it was a purchase from a builder in an estate I won't qualify. My mortgage wasn't drawn down until August this year. The fact my solicitor was sure I would get it also is making me still question them. They don't seem to have a clue when you ring. It's really trial and error!

• Advertisement

It's very very unfair. Apparently if it was a self build I would have been ok but because it was a purchase from a builder in an estate I won't qualify. My mortgage wasn't drawn down until August this year. The fact my solicitor was sure I would get it also is making me still question them. They don't seem to have a clue when you ring. It's really trial and error!
    It is pretty open though, the only date that needs to be met is the contract being signed on or after July the 19th.At least you can get in contact with someone, I have rang three times now as my claim and documents are all in. Everytime they just say Kilkenny are looking into it without being able to give me a number for this office.

It is pretty open though, the only date that needs to be met is the contract being signed on or after July the 19th.At least you can get in contact with someone, I have rang three times now as my claim and documents are all in. Everytime they just say Kilkenny are looking into it without being able to give me a number for this office.
    It said or drawn down of mortgage also so thts why my solicitor felt I was definitely entitled to it. Oh there apparently were some files that have slipped through the helpdesk file so yours may be one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is your builder on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

It said or drawn down of mortgage also so thts why my solicitor felt I was definitely entitled to it. Oh there apparently were some files that have slipped through the helpdesk file so yours may be one of them!

U have to have signed after July 19th or u don't qualify. This have always been the Num 1 rule.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is your builder on the list?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

Hi guys, there's something not completely clear yet.

As retrospective purchaser, should I give the Application Code and the Access Code to the Builder and Bank?

Because I understood I had not to give these codes, considering I already paid the deposit in total,
    I already completed the purchase before Christmas, I'm already paying the mortgage and living in the house.

But the Revenue is making a lot of confusion, they said I should give the code the the developers and mortgage provider's institution.

I'm very confused... Anyone can give suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 primrose1990

lunamia wrote: »

As retrospective purchaser, should I give the Application Code and the Access Code to the Builder and Bank?

Because I understood I had not to give these codes, considering I already paid the deposit in total,
    I already completed the purchase before Christmas, I'm already paying the mortgage and living in the house.

But the Revenue is making a lot of confusion, they said I should give the code the the developers and mortgage provider's institution.

We're also a retrospective applicant and we have our codes to the builder who passed them to their solicitor, and also our bank - our bank had no idea what to do with them and as far as I am aware, never actually did do anything with them. Just got confirmation today that our refund has been processed following the contractor verifying our purchase so I'm guessing it's just your builder who needs them

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

as far as I know, You will have to give this codes to builders and bank because Revenue will contact the builder to verify your purchase. Once they are happy with verification you get your money from Revenue directly to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

as far as I know, You will have to give this codes to builders and bank because Revenue will contact the builder to verify your purchase. Once they are happy with verification you get your money from Revenue directly to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

is it possible to apply for mortgage with only 5% deposit and fill the other 5% with the scheme? Or would you have to have the 10% initially and then claim back after mortgage was approved for the 5%?

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    U have to have signed after July 19th or u don't qualify. This have always been the Num 1 rule.

My solicitor got back to me again this evening and as I didn't sign the official handover contracts until after that then I should qualify. She said she will send in representation on my behalf if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

SSeanSS wrote: »
    is it possible to apply for mortgage with only 5% deposit and fill the other 5% with the scheme? Or would you have to have the 10% initially and then claim back after mortgage was approved for the 5%?

This is exactly what the scheme is supposed to be for. You go to bank and apply for AIP. Then you apply to revenue for whatever relief you would be eligible for. Then you put an offer on a house and pay booking deposit. After this you sign contracts, it is at this point you need to pay the deposit(Minus whatever htb relief you are due). You also need to have your loan offer from the bank at this point. The bank will be well aware of your finances from the documentation you already supplied them so they will be looking for the proof from revenue(Application and access code) so they can see you can actually afford to buy the house.

So I rang Revenue today, it is only been two weeks but said Id ring anyway to see if I can get an update. Rang the local branch in SE, waste of time, clueless aint the word. SO I then used the number that is used if you are overseas and got through to a lovely chap and he said he will get someone to call me back who has familiarity in the subject. Got a phonecall back and the guy said they are having some issues with the system itself and as everyone knows by now it is meant to be automated. Said everything seems ok on my end and someone should be looking at my claim next week. They have thousands of claims to go through so this is understandable. Giving it is a new process with a substantial amount of money involved, 3-4 weeks would be very acceptable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lunamia

"it is meant to be automated.
    ............. and someone should be looking at my claim next week."

That's something that makes me laugh..

The same thing has been told to me this afternoon..
    So I asked, if it's automated, why do I need that someone soon or later looks into my profile to process the application???

They have no clue even on what they say..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freddy2017

Had you received a 'claim reference number'?
    Our application was accepted and we received access and application codes and got a message to say what amount of a refund we would be getting.
    I submitted my claim about two weeks ago and got a claim reference number. I rang revenue the other day and the lady seems to think that my claim is through but that there is a technical issue and they don't know why I haven't received a message to say refund is being issued. She said it is gone to IT support and I should hear soon.
    I am starting to panic a little now because I have heard nothing since. I read on a previous post that someone was told that once you receive a claim reference number it means that the money will be paid. Is this right? At what point is the claim accepted?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

My solicitor got back to me again this evening and as I didn't sign the official handover contracts until after that then I should qualify. She said she will send in representation on my behalf if it comes to it.

So you had to sign twice, on two different dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freddy2017

Our application was accepted and we received access and application codes and got a message to say what amount of a refund we would be getting.
    I submitted my claim about two weeks ago and got a claim reference number. I rang revenue the other day and the lady seems to think that my claim is through but that there is a technical issue and they don't know why I haven't received a message to say refund is being issued. She said it is gone to IT support and I should hear soon.
    I am starting to panic a little now because I have heard nothing since. I read on a previous post that someone was told that once you receive a claim reference number it means that the money will be paid. Is this right? At what point is the claim accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Stella2012

For the LTV. Needs to be greater than 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

Freddy2017 wrote: »

When you get the claim reference and access code they haven't check that the contracts are correct, so I doubt that getting those will mean you are getting the refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

notkenny wrote: »

The builder has to contact Revenue as far as I know so push your contractor to make the call. Thinking logically it's the sensible way to do it for Revenue.

Advertisement