Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 siobhan1983

So you had to sign twice, on two different dates?

I signed forms at the start to reserve the house but didnt sign the final contract until the handover of keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

I signed forms at the start to reserve the house but didnt sign the final contract until the handover of keys.

I thought there is just one contract you sign. You sign it and then builder signs it, at which point you are legally obliged to buy the house.

My understanding is that it is the date you signed this contract that Revenue will use to determine if you are eligible for HTB.

Why would you need to sign another contract when you get the keys? Who are you signing the contract with? You've already signed a contract to buy the house.

I thought there is just one contract you sign. You sign it and then builder signs it, at which point you are legally obliged to buy the house.

My understanding is that it is the date you signed this contract that Revenue will use to determine if you are eligible for HTB.

Why would you need to sign another contract when you get the keys? Who are you signing the contract with? You've already signed a contract to buy the house.

No I signed a contract to buy the house at first, that gave me full rights to pull out at any stage, with a full refund of deposit paid, I only signed full contract once house was built and signed off on which legally meant the house was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It would be a booking deposit initially normally of 5-10k and then later you sign the contracts and pay the balance of normally 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

It would be a booking deposit initially normally of 5-10k and then later you sign the contracts and pay the balance of normally 10%

That was my understanding too. You wouldn't be signing two contracts and you wouldn't be signing a contract with the builder when keys were being handed over.

@siobhan1983 I would double-check with your solicitor. Maybe there is something particular about your situation. But it sounds like you signed contracts before the starting date for HTB.

• Advertisement

That was my understanding too. You wouldn't be signing two contracts and you wouldn't be signing a contract with the builder when keys were being handed over.

@siobhan1983 I would double-check with your solicitor. Maybe there is something particular about your situation. But it sounds like you signed contracts before the starting date for HTB.

I have double checked with her and she still maintains I should be entitled to it. Will wait and see what happens. Were you a first time purchaser too? Has your claim gone through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sorry if this has already been discussed but does this just apply to new builds? And if so what years does this apply to or is there other factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been discussed but does this just apply to new builds? And if so what years does this apply to or is there other factors?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/index.html

Thanks! So the property must be built between 2016 and 2019?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks! So the property must be built between 2016 and 2019?
    Nope, if it has been built but no one has ever bought it or lived in, it still qualifies, therefore clearing the way for ghost estates to be finished off hopefully. Just have to sign the contracts after the date last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Just to warm people if you are getting no response from revenue in myenquiries and it seems you are 'under review' for too long ring them.
    I was on to them last week and they couldn't figure out why the application wasnt moving. I happened to mention about an underpayment for the tax year we are applying for (after reading here) and they said this was the hold up. So I paid that immediately and a week later still 'under review'.

So i rang again today to be told i actually need to do a P21 for each of the 4 tax years even if I select only 1 year to be reviewed. Also my employment details were wrong on the system an incorrect start date that had to be rectified. All these issues but no one every replied to myenquiries (i lodged 2 online) and this could have been done weeks ago.
    We now have our contracts and the time is of the essence so as i said ring them if you think it is overly delayed. The guy i spoke to last Friday could have told me all this but didn't. Some of them seem to not have a clue.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nope, if it has been built but no one has ever bought it or lived in, it still qualifies, therefore clearing the way for ghost estates to be finished off hopefully. Just have to sign the contracts after the date last year.

Thanks for the detail! I suppose their are no such support schemes for existing houses/apartments that are 20/30 years old?

Thanks for the detail! I suppose their are no such support schemes for existing houses/apartments that are 20/30 years old?

Not if anyone has lived in them.

Damn :( thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abrushka

I only submitted for 3 years and got reviewed without issue early this week. However, I am applying jointly with my girlfriend and her application is still under review. I called revenue and they said it was because her application was in a different office which has more applications :confused:. Anyway, I've got her to submit her 4th year based on advice you have received, hopefully that will resolve the delay.

Blingy wrote: »
    Just to warm people if you are getting no response from revenue in myenquiries and it seems you are 'under review' for too long ring them.
    I was on to them last week and they couldn't figure out why the application wasnt moving. I happened to mention about an underpayment for the tax year we are applying for (after reading here) and they said this was the hold up. So I paid that immediately and a week later still 'under review'.

So i rang again today to be told i actually need to do a P21 for each of the 4 tax years even if I select only 1 year to be reviewed. Also my employment details were wrong on the system an incorrect start date that had to be rectified. All these issues but no one every replied to myenquiries (i lodged 2 online) and this could have been done weeks ago.
    We now have our contracts and the time is of the essence so as i said ring them if you think it is overly delayed. The guy i spoke to last Friday could have told me all this but didn't. Some of them seem to not have a clue.

abrushka wrote: »
    I only submitted for 3 years and got reviewed without issue early this week. However, I am applying jointly with my girlfriend and her application is still under review. I called revenue and they said it was because her application was in a different office which has more applications :confused:. Anyway, I've got her to submit her 4th year based on advice you have received, hopefully that will resolve the delay.

I honestly think every single person you talk to in Revenue has a different excuse. My application is joint and still says awaiting confirmation however i have already confirmed i am part of a group and they couldn't help at all with that issue. It's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

I honestly think every single person you talk to in Revenue has a different excuse. My application is joint and still says awaiting confirmation however i have already confirmed i am part of a group and they couldn't help at all with that issue. It's very frustrating.

I had this problem too, our joint application was finally approved 3 weeks after we had initially applied, via email to MyEnquiries. We have a claim reference now, passed our details to the builder and he has now appeared on the list on the Revenue website so hopefully just waiting on the refund.

We didn't pay the full 10% (just needed booking deposit and a further 10K when we signed in October which amounts to roughly 6%) although we needed to have it for the mortgage approval. So now not quite sure if we get the full refund and pay the remaining 4% to the builder on completion or the builder gets the rest from Revenue? No one from Revenue seems to know either, surprise surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freddy2017

We have a claim reference number and it says pending the last two weeks. Rang revenue today and lady said that our solicitor hasn't verified our application. Got on to him today and he has sent in his registration and once that sorted he will verify our claim. Does anybody know if this is the final step before refund? Will it issue once solicitor does his part? Also how long will it roughly take?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Sent in for P12, then P21 last week for 2013-16, got some money back :) I was surprised it was so fast, there is no documentation or post about it, just money in account.

Started HTB application on Monday and got it fully submitted last night. Had to cancel and do again as claiming retrospectively but not closing until early spring. Uploaded contract for sale and letter of offer from bank in same myEnquiry thread.

Builders solicitor seems to handling this for them as he rang me to confirm he had completed verification on his side this evening.

Sent details to bank as well (not sure if they really need), but concerned as I am pretty certain I am going to have to extend or reapply for my mortgage approval. Doesn't seem like bank is open to extending.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 judy80

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have no time to read back this forum but maybe you could give some advice.
    I have all Form 12s filled, submitted and got P21s and everything.
    We have to apply as a group with my husband.
    When I select years, the refundable value is zero which is incorrect as I paid taxes for all previous years.
    I called revenue 4 times each call taking more than 20 minutes and they dont help us.
    Any advise what should I do? It is quite urgent to give the application to the solicitor.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

judy80 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have no time to read back this forum but maybe you could give some advice.
    When I select years, the refundable value is zero which is incorrect as I paid taxes for all previous years.
    I called revenue 4 times each call taking more than 20 minutes and they dont help us.
    Any advise what should I do? It is quite urgent to give the application to the solicitor.
    Thanks

Get your P21s out and confirm the amount available for each year would be the first move. I have not used the updated system though, so maybe there is a point where you have to enter the value of the house or there is some other issue that you have not entered.

Once you confirm the info from the P21, all I can say is ring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Auburn_

You only need to select one year to use your past taxes for. I would suggest cancelling your current claim and to claim for just 2015 and see if that works for you.

Auburn_ wrote: »
    You only need to select one year to use your past taxes for. I would suggest cancelling your current claim and to claim for just 2015 and see if that works for you.

but be careful thats only if you have paid enough tax in that actual year otherwise you may need to select more than one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Auburn_

Very good point. I would suggest then, as you can cancel your claim at any point, test picking and choosing a few different years to see which gives you back the most rebate ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andreip

judy80 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Same was for me, but Revenue guy told me it was a technical issue on my profile, they solved that and he asked me to wait for overnight synchronization and second day I was able to see max relief per year.

andreip wrote: »
    Same was for me, but Revenue guy told me it was a technical issue on my profile, they solved that and he asked me to wait for overnight synchronization and second day I was able to see max relief per year.

You were lucky then. I just don't know why they cannot do the same with my profile.

Send them a ticket via MyEnquiry too with print-screen of that page when you see €0

andreip wrote: »
    Send them a ticket via MyEnquiry too with print-screen of that page when you see €0

Yes, I did. Im waiting for the answer. Hopefully they will solve it very soon.

So I sent an enquiry through myenquiries questioning the delay and got a reply saying my application for the HTB has been approved. Do I get a formal confirmation of it that I can give to the bank or how does that work?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

So I sent an enquiry through myenquiries questioning the delay and got a reply saying my application for the HTB has been approved. Do I get a formal confirmation of it that I can give to the bank or how does that work?
    Thanks

What I've shared with the bank was PDF of:
    - that acknowledge page where the application code and max relief is mention;
    - that notififation in myenquiries where says security code
    - that notification in myenquiries where says you HTB app is approved

And bank was fine with this

Advertisement