Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

Thanks for taking time to reply PedroDublin. i should have mentioned this initially. I am a first time buyer, i have got planning permission on the site. Going to use the house as a my primary residence & will be applying for mortgage shortly & will be at least 70% LTV. That all thats needed??

My bad, sorry for that.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't qualify then, even if the site is a gift the self build can be independentry valued. I submitted different contracts for land and building on my application

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Just waiting on contractor's registration to appear on the qualifying list before I send them the codes.
    Been told that they submitted all the required documents to revenue last week so will keep an eye on it.

Also, when speaking to the revenue I was advised that the claim will not be approved unless verified by your contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Applied a week or so ago. Received a notification today saying that our application had been cancelled by either myself or my girlfriend, none of us did this, any ideas?
    The p21 balancing statements needed us to pay off a few quid but that was done.
    Tried calling but half an hour on that line.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭ec18

Submitted last night and application was approved this morning. ready to go to claim stage now

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Arse Biscuits

ec18 wrote: »
    Submitted last night and application was approved this morning. ready to go to claim stage now

Like wise and sent them to the estate agent

I won't receive my contract for my house for a while, is there anything else I can do or need to do before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 akeeley

Hi All,

I am sorry if this has already been answered numerous times but i really need help as i am about to loose it with Revenue.

I am a retrospect new build applicant. We signed for our house back in August and moved in by October. I applied for the HTB on the 3rd January and got the approval on the 2nd February. I then sent in the required documents i.e. Signed Contract, Mortgage Details, Deposit Details etc. on the 4th February. My account now says claim submitted and pending. I have followed up with revenue over and over again and no one is able to help me. I keep asking them is there anything else i need to do as its nearly 4 weeks now. One person says to send the numbers to the solicitor, i do this, the solicitor says this is incorrect. Then another person at revenue says i should send the claim numbers to the mortgage provider, i do this and the mortgage provider says this is incorrect. I have called revenue 10 times over the last 4 weeks looking to see what is taking so long and is there anything else i need to do and no one is able to answer me. All i get is, we need to verify this and we will call you back. I don't know what to do next so hoping someone here has some light to shed on the mess i am experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CT2

akeeley wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am sorry if this has already been answered numerous times but i really need help as i am about to loose it with Revenue.

I am a retrospect new build applicant. We signed for our house back in August and moved in by October. I applied for the HTB on the 3rd January and got the approval on the 2nd February. I then sent in the required documents i.e. Signed Contract, Mortgage Details, Deposit Details etc. on the 4th February. My account now says claim submitted and pending. I have followed up with revenue over and over again and no one is able to help me. I keep asking them is there anything else i need to do as its nearly 4 weeks now. One person says to send the numbers to the solicitor, i do this, the solicitor says this is incorrect. Then another person at revenue says i should send the claim numbers to the mortgage provider, i do this and the mortgage provider says this is incorrect. I have called revenue 10 times over the last 4 weeks looking to see what is taking so long and is there anything else i need to do and no one is able to answer me. All i get is, we need to verify this and we will call you back. I don't know what to do next so hoping someone here has some light to shed on the mess i am experiencing.

You need to send the claim code to the builder.

The original deposit paid needs to go into the claim application.
    Not your LTV deposit with the bank.

As you and the builder must enter the same amount otherwise you will have further issues.

I know it seems strange as you now live in the house, but its how revenue wants it done.

I'm in the same situation as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prismatic

CT2 wrote: »
    akeeley wrote: »
    Hi All,

You need to send the claim code to the builder.

The original deposit paid needs to go into the claim application.
    Not your LTV deposit with the bank.

As you and the builder must enter the same amount otherwise you will have further issues.

I know it seems strange as you now live in the house, but its how revenue wants it done.

I'm in the same situation as you.

Exactly same position for me. Hope your builder signs off on yours quickly. Mine not answering emails or phone calls 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

Hi everyone,

Myself and my girlfriend are both first time buyers on a new build. Signed the contract on August 4th 2016 and just got the keys today.
    We have started the HTB application process on my account but it says "Awaiting membership confirmation" with my girlfriends name underneath it.
    When trying on my girlfriends account, it says "Member added successfully" with my name underneath.
    On both accounts, it doesn't give the option to continue to the next stage.

Do we both have to apply on each account or is it just the once on 1 account for both of us?
    Anybody else have the problem with "Awaiting membership confirmation" and what is the solution for it?
    I have used MyEnquiries but have not received a reply.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Got money back in bank account this morning \0/

4 business days from time builders solicitor verified claim

Now to go reapply for mortgage again, house delayed past draw-down deadline :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Got money back in bank account this morning \0/

4 business days from time builders solicitor verified claim

Now to go reapply for mortgage again, house delayed past draw-down deadline :|

Are u self build?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Are u self build?

No. buying new build

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Smacs89 wrote:
    Myself and my girlfriend are both first time buyers on a new build. Signed the contract on August 4th 2016 and just got the keys today. We have started the HTB application process on my account but it says "Awaiting membership confirmation" with my girlfriends name underneath it. When trying on my girlfriends account, it says "Member added successfully" with my name underneath. On both accounts, it doesn't give the option to continue to the next stage.

I had the exact same issue. Rang revenue and because my girlfriend was under a different tax office the claim hadn't been looked at until I triggered it by calling. In fairness to the lady I spoke to she was really helpful, got it looked into on phone and referred it to the other Dept. 30 mins later I got an email advising it had been moved to the claim stage.

Give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

Grassey wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue. Rang revenue and because my girlfriend was under a different tax office the claim hadn't been looked at until I triggered it by calling. In fairness to the lady I spoke to she was really helpful, got it looked into on phone and referred it to the other Dept. 30 mins later I got an email advising it had been moved to the claim stage.

Give them a call.

Cheers Grassey, will give them a call and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

Does anyone know if the HTB refund and the first-time Buyer's Dirt refund (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/dirt/first-time-buyer-relief.html) can both be claimed?
    We managed to successfully claim the HTB on a retrospective purchase but I'm not sure if we may also be entitled to the dirt refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Limpar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the HTB refund and the first-time Buyer's Dirt refund (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/dirt/first-time-buyer-relief.html) can both be claimed?
    We managed to successfully claim the HTB on a retrospective purchase but I'm not sure if we may also be entitled to the dirt refund?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/index.html

The incentive provides for a refund of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) paid over the previous four tax years to first-time buyers who purchase or self-build a new house or apartment to live in as their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/htb/index.html

The incentive provides for a refund of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) paid over the previous four tax years to first-time buyers who purchase or self-build a new house or apartment to live in as their home.

Yes but Help to Buy is capped at 5% so if you hit 5% from income tax is there any way of getting the DIRT back through the alternative scheme as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

Yes but Help to Buy is capped at 5% so if you hit 5% from income tax is there any way of getting the DIRT back through the alternative scheme as well?

Exactly, our HTB refund would have been more than covered by Income Tax, so effectively we've got no DIRT refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Collyb101

Morning All,

I know the question must have been answered a 100 times but I hope you dont mind me asking again.

My application has been submitted and I am now waiting for my claim to be "Verified". I've sent the relevant codes to my builder. How does this now work? Does the Revenue contact my builder now. I find the Revenue service frustrating when it comes to explaining processes.

I rang them last week to ask if there was anything we had to do (before stage im at now). They told me we owed them €414 and if we paid this we would be cleared to proceed. Long story short we received €30 from them instead and process continued. Bit of a difference. Some really helpful people there too so please dont get me wrong.

I just need to know do I halt now or is there something I should be doing???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Limpar wrote: »
    Exactly, our HTB refund would have been more than covered by Income Tax, so effectively we've got no DIRT refund.

No, you can't get any more than the 5% from all sources.

You're not losing out on the DIRT refund, the HTB scheme incorporates the DIRT refund. You're getting 5% of a house probably costing up to 400k which is a 20k tax refund. Don't begrudge the loss of a few hundred quid because you've paid more than enough income tax to cover the 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Applied a week or so ago. Received a notification today saying that our application had been cancelled by either myself or my girlfriend, none of us did this, any ideas?
    The p21 balancing statements needed us to pay off a few quid but that was done.
    Tried calling but half an hour on that line.........

We had to pay off a small amount too after P21 for 2016 - but they cancelled the HTB application (on our behalf) because of this. So we paid what was owed and then just reapplied - ours is now under review.

It's fairly simple to apply again once you have done all your Form 12s/P21s already from the initial application.

Tobdom,
    Once in review status, do we need to be doing anything (minus sharing your codes with bank and builder)?

Collyb101 wrote: »
    Tobdom,
    Once in review status, do we need to be doing anything (minus sharing your codes with bank and builder)?

I can't say with any great authority yet as we're still under review so haven't been through the full process (we're also self-builders rather than buyers).

My understanding is that at this initial stage, application under review, you need to just wait until Revenue complete review & approve (or otherwise). After that I believe you get a claim code which is then passed onto your builder/solicitor/mortgage provider...... I may not be 100% accurate on all of that though.

Jesus, I have a 'claim ref', an 'application code', an 'access code' and now I'll wait for a 'claim code'.
    LOL. I thought ive to wait now so I'll be patient. thanks for the reply.

Collyb

My terminology might just have been off (claim ref/code), you seem to be further down the line in the process so perhaps you need to pass your details along to the builder now for the verification stage. From Revenue website:

When the claim is submitted, the details will need to be verified by the Developer/Contractor you purchased from or a Solicitor, acting on your behalf, in the case of a self-build. You will need to provide them with both your Application code and your HTB access number (provided in your MyEnquiries record). Refunds will be processed and paid as soon as possible after the details are verified.

It still doesn't explain HOW it will be verified.
    Should the builder contact revenue.
    Will revenue ring the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

If the builder is registered for the scheme, they log in, punch in your claim/reference/application code and they verify both your deposit paid & house purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Collyb101 wrote: »
    Morning All,

I know the question must have been answered a 100 times but I hope you dont mind me asking again.

My application has been submitted and I am now waiting for my claim to be "Verified". I've sent the relevant codes to my builder. How does this now work? Does the Revenue contact my builder now. I find the Revenue service frustrating when it comes to explaining processes.

I rang them last week to ask if there was anything we had to do (before stage im at now). They told me we owed them €414 and if we paid this we would be cleared to proceed. Long story short we received €30 from them instead and process continued. Bit of a difference. Some really helpful people there too so please dont get me wrong.

I just need to know do I halt now or is there something I should be doing???????

The Revenue will not contact the builder. Ask your builder to log on to Revenue and they can verify your claim by inputting the codes that you provided them.

Sibersha / Morrga,

Thank you for this information. This is exactly what I needed to know.
    I knew the Revenue would not be ringing around. Doesn't sound like something they would do LOL.

Cheers again. And Tobdom, cheers too.

Collyb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 b_cuda

Just got approved this week on a retrospective application, we signed contracts before Christmas but the developers signed in Jan 2017 so we were a bit worried before that the contract wouldn't be accepted - but no problems :) I'm not sure if it was needed but we got our solicitor to write us a letter to state that we signed and paid booking deposit in December, just to prove it as the only date on the contract was the date developers signed.

Also our builder turned out to be registered under a different name than we had for them, so worth checking that!

Advertisement