Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

This thread has been a great source of information. I am at the first stage of the application with my other half.

We both recieved our p21s and in fact we both over paid on taxes so got a small refund. Then we processed our htb application as a group, her part went through fine but when I accepted the group application it led me to the message that my tax clearance certificate not been issued?? We cannot progress our application any further

Has anyone come across this? I assume that this is an error from the revenues behalf? Does anyone have any advice?

You may have something outstanding in the last few years. Prob easiest to look at your PAYE anytime/ROS and look at each years p21. More difficult might be to ring them and ask whats outstanding and for when.

My other half was self assessed and had a small amount due for 2012. Had to pay and then we were good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

This thread has been a great source of information. I am at the first stage of the application with my other half.

We both recieved our p21s and in fact we both over paid on taxes so got a small refund. Then we processed our htb application as a group, her part went through fine but when I accepted the group application it led me to the message that my tax clearance certificate not been issued?? We cannot progress our application any further

Has anyone come across this? I assume that this is an error from the revenues behalf? Does anyone have any advice?
    I had this as well, as I was at one point years ago registered as self-employed, therefore the system was flagging me as required to do a tax clearance cert. Called revenue and they said it was kind of a box-ticking exercise and I was able to do it through myAccount online, it was basically verifying & submitting figures which were already covered by P60s/P21s.

You should see an option in myAccount to do tax clearance, maybe check that out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Cheers for the advice gentlemen. It's just very odd as I haven't ever been self employed..I was out of the country for the whole of 2013 abroad in Canada working alright. Maybe that is something. But I haven't selected 2013 as any of the years that I'm using as part of my claim. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

My builder is the last month trying to get on the list is this normal. He said last he heard that there prioritising each case. Is this normal? I gave him my codes over 5 weeks ago.

We're retrospective buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

morrga wrote: »
    Yes south east office. I was originally based in that region and am now in Dublin but I still rang them and they helped me along the way. A lot of the golf ups can be just done to Revenue needing to do a few system tweaks on their end. Getting them to make the changes whilst your on the phone to them helps progress the process.

Hi, could you please share which number you were dialing for the SE office, the 1890 number for SE isn't very helpful.

Our application is 'Under Review', I was told it was because we underpaid tax in 2016 - made a payment there and then to cover the amount but the application hasn't really moved forward.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Stupid question and sorry if ask but cant read through the thread - I only submitted 2015 tax returns in October was going to wait until October to do 2016 - to apply for this scheme do I need to be up to date and do 2016 tax return now ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

whatever76 wrote: »
    Stupid question and sorry if ask but cant read through the thread - I only submitted 2015 tax returns in October was going to wait until October to do 2016 - to apply for this scheme do I need to be up to date and do 2016 tax return now ?!

You don't have to include 2016 as a year to review for your claim - if you think you've paid enough tax in 2015/14/13 to qualify you for the max rebate available, then just claim for those years and omit 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

cool thanks a mill !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have my application for the HTB scheme approved for a new build that's just starting to be built.

When should I commence the 'claim' stage - once I've signed the contracts?

What do you think boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

dmcg90 wrote: »
    What do you think boards?

Read up on the process, it's all outlined clearly here. When you sign contracts you pay the deposit minus whatever relief you are eligible for. Once you have a copy of contracts signed by both parties then you can start the claim stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Read up on the process, it's all outlined clearly here. When you sign contracts you pay the deposit minus whatever relief you are eligible for. Once you have a copy of contracts signed by both parties then you can start the claim stage

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Somebody mentioned in another thread that any retrospective buyers have to have their full application in by March 31st. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I signed my contract in the middle of December but haven't received it back from the developer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Somebody mentioned in another thread that any retrospective buyers have to have their full application in by March 31st. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I signed my contract in the middle of December but haven't received it back from the developer yet.

That is true, you can see it in the help to buy application page on myaccount/ros. I would push your solicitor to get it returned asap

Wopp wrote: »
    That is true, you can see it in the help to buy application page on myaccount/ros. I would push your solicitor to get it returned asap

Thanks for the reply. I just had a look and this is what is written in the FAQ's:
    Where you purchased or self-built a property on or after 19 July 2016 and on or before 31 December 2016, you may elect to have the property purchase to have taken place in either 2016 or 2017, provided you apply before 31 March 2017. This will allow you to select the four years which are of most benefit.

We are only claiming for 2015 and 2016 as were working abroad for the years 2013-2014. Does the above mean that we can only claim 2012-2015 before March 31st, as they would be the 4 previous tax years for a house purchased in 2016? We can still claim 2015/2016 after March 31st, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

We are only claiming for 2015 and 2016 as were working abroad for the years 2013-2014. Does the above meant that we can only claim 2012-2015 before March 31st, as they would be the 4 previous tax years for a house purchased in 2016? We can still claim 2015/2016 after March 31st, right?

When did you buy the house?

We put a booking deposit down in October and signed the contract/paid the full deposit in December. I'll chat this over with the solicitor in any case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

We put a booking deposit down in October and signed the contract/paid the full deposit in December. I'll chat this over with the solicitor in any case!

So to me what the information from the revenue suggests is that you can apply as if the sale took place in 2017 but you must have it in by March 31st so just be aware of that deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

We are only claiming for 2015 and 2016 as were working abroad for the years 2013-2014. Does the above mean that we can only claim 2012-2015 before March 31st, as they would be the 4 previous tax years for a house purchased in 2016? We can still claim 2015/2016 after March 31st, right?

I would give Revenue a call just to be sure but it should be okay since you are only claiming for 2015 and 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

The contracts are dated when the developer has signed them -not the purchaser. So if you signed contracts and paid the deposit prior to 31st December 2016, but have not yet received the contract signed by the developer, you are not a retrospective buyer - the date of the contract is the relevant date, as far as I know. Until the contract is signed and returned by the developer, there is no binding contract in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I don't understand the 31st March Deadline, why so short for something that was only commenced in January. We need to get registered and Builder registered within a few days and get the application in?

Its very frustrating and just seems like a way of making sure some do not get a refund - we bought last year within the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

31st march deadline - is that true for retrospective buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

It appears that 31st march is the cut off date for 2016 applications. Our builder isn't listed so it looks as though we will not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Can anyone confirm that the 31st deadline is to have the application in or processed? Still waiting on the OHs tax to be sorted to apply which is nuts because it's the department of education not filling their P60s on time that's holding everything up, they are over a month late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭ec18

Has any 2017 buyers have a problem with their builder claiming that it is up to the purchaser to claim the money back after closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

If i buy a property now, can i claim in 2018 or 2019. I already applied claiming for 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013. My previous year taxes are not amounting to a lot.

iwantthat wrote: »
    If i buy a property now, can i claim in 2018 or 2019. I already applied claiming for 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013. My previous year taxes are not amounting to a lot.

no if you want to use those years you must buy in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Hi guys

What are people's wait time for receiving funds once everything has been approved and your told to wait 5 days (is it worth ringing revenue if still waiting)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Has anybody successfully had a clause referencing the HTB scheme inserted into their contracts? We are supposed to be signing this week but developers solicitors have refused to include any clause even a loose one that benefits both parties which is highly concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

srdb20 wrote: »
    Hi guys

What are people's wait time for receiving funds once everything has been approved and your told to wait 5 days (is it worth ringing revenue if still waiting)?

Thanks

Our claim was verified by our developers last Thursday 16th and we received the funds into our account this morning (3 working days because of Friday being St. Patricks Day)

• Advertisement

janeybaby wrote: »
    Has anybody successfully had a clause referencing the HTB scheme inserted into their contracts? We are supposed to be signing this week but developers solicitors have refused to include any clause even a loose one that benefits both parties which is highly concerning.

same issue

Advertisement