Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Unfortunately buyers have very little rights in Ireland while developers can do what they want. They don't even have to include the mortgage clause in the contract. You basically have to accept everything or they ll release the property to somebody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered here before but I can't find the answer anywhere.

We're submitting a joint application and am just getting the p21's in order. I'm wondering if the PAYE rebate I can get is based on 2014-17 for me PLUS my girlfriends for 2014-17.

Or whether we pick our best 4 from that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered here before but I can't find the answer anywhere.

We're submitting a joint application and am just getting the p21's in order. I'm wondering if the PAYE rebate I can get is based on 2014-17 for me PLUS my girlfriends for 2014-17.

Or whether we pick our best 4 from that period.

You’ll both be assessed on the years you select. So your tax paid will be looked at from 2014-2017 and your girlfriends too and then it’s added together. So for example yours could be 9000 hers could be 8000 and you’d get 1700. The application stage is actually very straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

allym wrote: »
    You’ll both be assessed on the years you select. So your tax paid will be looked at from 2014-2017 and your girlfriends too and then it’s added together. So for example yours could be 9000 hers could be 8000 and you’d get 1700. The application stage is actually very straight forward

Great, thanks for your help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GeorgieGigi

Can anyone advise how long it took to get confirmation of HTB funds from revenue?

My husband and I have put through our application but it says it's under review. It also states below that it's 'waiting membership confirmation' from each of us on the other persons revenue account.

If anyone can tell me how long theirs was under review before getting confirmation of amount available to them, that would be great.

Also, does anyone have a number I can call to talk to someone in revenue to chase up? So far i can only find an email address and it says it'll respond in 20 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Can anyone advise how long it took to get confirmation of HTB funds from revenue?

My husband and I have put through our application but it says it's under review. It also states below that it's 'waiting membership confirmation' from each of us on the other persons revenue account.

If anyone can tell me how long theirs was under review before getting confirmation of amount available to them, that would be great.

Also, does anyone have a number I can call to talk to someone in revenue to chase up? So far i can only find an email address and it says it'll respond in 20 working days.

Something is wrong if both are showing 'awaiting membership'. I would cancel and apply again.
    If it doesn't work ring your local PAYE number...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

fguinan wrote: »
    Something is wrong if both are showing 'awaiting membership'. I would cancel and apply again.

Don't cancel.

Awaiting membership = at least one person is missing some information. Have both of you logged in to make sure it isn't asking for any forms from you?

Alternatively, have you changed marriage status in the past few years? This will also delay things.

The first time we applied I think it took a few weeks, the second time a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I recall looking at Hamilton Park in Castleknock in January for a nosy. The 4 beds were 505 and I thought for the sake of 5 grand would they not call it 500 and allow buyers to get the help to buy.

New phase just launched. The same 4 beds are 575. Wow. Just wow. A goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

awec wrote: »
    fguinan wrote: »

Don't cancel.

Awaiting membership = at least one person is missing some information. Have both of you logged in to make sure it isn't asking for any forms from you?

Alternatively, have you changed marriage status in the past few years? This will also delay things.

The first time we applied I think it took a few weeks, the second time a few days.

Ours said this for weeks. We thought it was normal and eventually rang and turns out I had underpaid tax last year (2017) and owed €400, they wouldn’t process the application while I owed money but never notified me. I only found out when I called. I rang, paid the bill and had the application sorted the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Does anyone have any experience of applying for the HTB scheme when you have a mix of PAYE income and self-employed income? I was registered as self-employed in 2015 and 2016, although I earned no income from self-employment in 2016 and was below the tax threshold for 2015. I have had a PAYE income job since 2015. The myAccount system will only let me submit a Form 12 for 2017.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar situation to the above? Is it Form 11s I need to submit for 2015 and 2016 and do these also take account of my PAYE income for those years? Should I be applying for the HTB through ROS or myAccount? I will be applying with my partner whose income is all PAYE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GeorgieGigi

Thanks for the details to the contact number. They have confirmed the reasons why it states the above and hopefully now everything is in motion. I owed some tax back but because it was a small amount it wouldn't be collected. However this has held up my application being processed as all p12s /p21s need to be completed and any outstanding debts paid.
    They have said to call back in a few days if it still hasn't changed status.
    I paid the small outstanding amount online and revenue said I may get it back once all has been processed.

Fingers crossed now for a nice sum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Sorted

TBG

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tshiggins

My solicitor is slightly confused on which valuation to use - the mortgage offer letter states a purchase price AND a slightly different valuation. We can see where these come from, but unsure which one to use for the HTB application. Can anyone clarify?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

tshiggins wrote: »
    My solicitor is slightly confused on which valuation to use - the mortgage offer letter states a purchase price AND a slightly different valuation. We can see where these come from, but unsure which one to use for the HTB application. Can anyone clarify?
    Thanks!

Whatever you actually pay for the house is what goes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tshiggins

Thanks for the reply - it's a self build as opposed to a buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

tshiggins wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - it's a self build as opposed to a buy

Ah right. Sorry, I've no idea. Hopefully someone else can help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lilyocean

This may have been answered already, but I can't find it, have applied for HTB as a group, one approved for 11k and other member approved for 14k. Revenue unclear if these will be added together so that we can claim a max of 20k.. Anyone had this issue please?

lilyocean wrote: »
    This may have been answered already, but I can't find it, have applied for HTB as a group, one approved for 11k and other member approved for 14k. Revenue unclear if these will be added together so that we can claim a max of 20k.. Anyone had this issue please?

As long as the house is more than 400k and less than 500k, yes, you can claim a max of 20k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

So yes we have the HTP applications completed and are approved for the full 20K. We are claiming 17K. We have an application code and access code and had our solicitor issue these codes to the developers solicitor.

In order for us to proceed to allow the developer to claim the HTB we need to upload the signed contracts and a scan of our Mortgage Letter of Offer. Of course we can't sign as the developer wants the 10% payment now.

We're currently ringing revenue today and will be contacting my solicitor to instil our necessity of using the HTB at this phase. I'll update here when we know more. Some stellar advice thus far I must say. Thank you.

We're at the same. From the get go we made it known to estate agents etc that we wanted to use HTB so that we could put down a 5% deposit as we don't have the 10%, were told it wasn't an issue. Our solicitor sent some pre-contract enquiries and one of them was confirming this. Their solicitor replied saying that they required the full 10% up front from us and would refund the 5% once comes back from HTB. Have also spoken to revenue and they said that whilst it's completely against what the HTB is meant to do, it's legal and there's nothing they can do about it.

Our solicitors have sent a reply back saying that we're ready to sign on the understanding that we'd be using the HTB for the deposit and that we've already provided the HTB codes to this point. Added in that if they still insist on the full deposit from us that we'd be withdrawing from the sale.

I spoke with our estate agent on Saturday who confirmed that the developer is accepting the 5% + HTB from others from this development, so have that up my sleeve to try and shame them into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

If the htb has advertised with the development then definitely get your solicitor to drop in the false advertising line.

Revenue have set out how the scheme is to used, so that's what they commit to when advertising it. Not some bull**** method that the developer has decided.

The developers get the money within 5 days of finalising the process so there's no excuse. If you are both all registerd the whole thing will be done in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Phoned solicitors earlier and advised what I learnt from the estate agent and they immediately called the sellers solicitors but they hadn't heard back from the developers yet. Waiting to see what happens, hopefully know today or tomorrow. If the developers are gonna stand their ground then I'm going to make it a mission to ensure their despicable behaviour is exposed, may be petty but I'm so beyond angry right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Phoned solicitors earlier and advised what I learnt from the estate agent and they immediately called the sellers solicitors but they hadn't heard back from the developers yet. Waiting to see what happens, hopefully know today or tomorrow. If the developers are gonna stand their ground then I'm going to make it a mission to ensure their despicable behaviour is exposed, may be petty but I'm so beyond angry right now.

Good luck!
    I don't know if it's likely to be a good outcome but it's really sh*t that they don't accept it as deposit - definitely not part of the spirit of the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I spoke with our estate agent on Saturday who confirmed that the developer is accepting the 5% + HTB from others from this development, so have that up my sleeve to try and shame them into it.

I spoke with 2 other people in the development intending to use the HTB and were issued the same response and in the end were in the position to play ball so with that info and our eagerness to get the property we paid the 10%.

It completely sucks and its total disregard of the entire purpose of the scheme. I'd be happy to weight in on any complaint you intend to make. I'd presume a letter to the Housing Minister would be a good start point.

Disaster averted, just heard that the builders have relented and will accept 5% HTB 'as a gesture of goodwill'

Disaster averted, just heard that the builders have relented and will accept 5% HTB 'as a gesture of goodwill'

Are they fearful that Revenue won't fix them up or something? I'm always suspicious of a developer that would cut your throat over less than 20 grand.

They are transferring risk to the buyer, that's basically it. However, Revenue are at it too, if they are owed money by that developer they will hold back the HTB as payment, so it's all a vicious circle.

myshirt wrote: »
    Are they fearful that Revenue won't fix them up or something? I'm always suspicious of a developer that would cut your throat over less than 20 grand.

They are transferring risk to the buyer, that's basically it. However, Revenue are at it too, if they are owed money by that developer they will hold back the HTB as payment, so it's all a vicious circle.

From what I can gather, they're skeptical that people will back out of the sale, meaning that they'd have to refund the 5% to revenue and only keep the 5% that the buyer put up. If you ask me it's dodgy as all hell, but I really want this house and as long is it's solidly built I'll not be dealing with the builders once the sale completes.

My main thing was that i was not going to be bullied into paying the 10% up front when I'm availing of a scheme that's designed to allow me to only have to pay 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

purchased a new build under the HTB scheme. contractor is looking for the claim number. does anyone know if the bank contract must be a signed copy? i know the house contract must be. i have those while my solicitor has my signed bank contract and his off for few days

what else i need

TAR

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Specialun wrote: »
    purchased a new build under the HTB scheme. contractor is looking for the claim number. does anyone know if the bank contract must be a signed copy? i know the house contract must be. i have those while my solicitor has my signed bank contract and his off for few days

what else i need

TAR

I did my claim yesterday, My loan offer was not a signed copy. It came up
    as approved today.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

how do we receive notification that claim is successfully processed, email in MyEnquires ? and how long did it take, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 OConnorDavid

Hi,

We are at the 'claim' step now but do we have to wait for the first draw down before we can make our claim or will signed contracts do?

We bought a serviced site and have contracted a builder to do all the work for us.

Thanks

David

Advertisement