Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on lunch break

Options
  • 11-10-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like some other peoples opinions on this. I've worked for my current employer for over 3 years on the same team. I recently moved to a different role within the same organisation but to another team. We'd all have the same director/line manager.

I went for lunch with the new team today and they were drinking. I haven't looked at my contract but I would have assumed that drinking during a work day would be something not many employers allow.

I'm debating whether to report it to my manager or to say it to another colleague of mine.

I don't want to be a "rat" but I really don't think this is acceptable.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

check with HR maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

don't work in London then - quite the norm there!unles they get hammerred - get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Define 'drinking'? A glass of wine is acceptable is some circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Very much a company culture issue.
    Most American companies would frown upon it.
    European companies might occasionally allow it.
    Is it a regular thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

morald wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to report it to my manager or to say it to another colleague of mine.

I don't want to be a "rat" but I really don't think this is acceptable.

Are you a team leader or do you have a managerial role? Do you have a duty to report this? I'd check the contract and workplace policy first. Then, depending on all circumstances, I'd probably have a word with the team and get them to stop this behaviour, if I had to or if it could be seen to affect work in any way.

If I was an ordinary team member, I'd seriously consider whether it was my job to stop this or report it, taking into account that your own actions may become widely known to everyone in the workplace.

You might want to take into account how you will be treated if/when it is discovered that you have taken whatever course of action you decide to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Seems to be the norm for lunch time Londoners. Just dont get smashed. I'd say leave it go OP. If it's not affecting their works, why report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Dont have any place close enough that we have the opportunity (Unless we start bringing in cans, but thats a whole other level of desperation/thug look)

However, I know its pretty norm to have ONE pint with your lunch in dub and Galway.

If they arent falling over or being loud after whats the issue. Wouldnt be too quick to stick my nose where its not supposed to be.
    If its a reg thing, there's no way the manager wouldnt know, he'd smell it every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Totally acceptable in advertising / PR.... or it certainly used to be. I remember the days of being wined and dined knowing that I didn't have to return to the office because lunch meant an afternoon.

What's your problem OP - is there a safety issue?

How does it impact you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Attempting climbing up the ladder there bucko,mind you don't get too dizzy and fall off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Barring any safety issues and provided it doesn't affect their productivity in the afternoon, I don't really think it's anyone's business what someone does on their (in the vast majority of cases) unpaid lunch hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Tell the Teacher or your mammy straight away op, kids should not be drinking, oh you are not a child and you want to go telling tales on people you work with? its a pint or two get over it and grow up.

I think it's very clear from the responses that the answer seems to depend on the industry and context.
    In my job it would be a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

morald wrote: »
    I went for lunch with the new team today and they were drinking. I haven't looked at my contract but I would have assumed that drinking during a work day would be something not many employers allow.

You do realise the lunch hour isn't included in contract hours?
    Nothing wrong with having a drink or 2 with lunch. Very European!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

cml387 wrote: »
    I think it's very clear from the responses that the answer seems to depend on the industry and context.
    In my job it would be a no no.

Are you a bus driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

antix80 wrote: »
    Are you a bus driver?

Any number of jobs wouldn't allow drinking at lunch. Anything to do with manufacturing, machinery, heights, construction to name but a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    OP asked a very reasonable question; the number of people jumping on him for it is not on...

Any number of jobs wouldn't allow drinking at lunch. Anything to do with manufacturing, machinery, heights, construction to name but a few.
    Exactly.
    So unless the OP gives us a clue about the sector they work in, it's difficult to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

In my opinion one or two drinks over lunch are fine, there are obvious exceptions to this depending on where you work.
    Getting a serious feed of pints in and then returning to work is not.
    Regardless though it's not really down to the OP to bring this to the attention of management and if any of the group find out about this, which they most likely will, the OP will find themselves ostracized in the workplace. It's not really worth falling out with colleagues IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If it was me, I wouldn't drink myself. But definitely don't report them. It's not your job and you'll come across as an asshole

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Unless there's a safety concern or they're getting seriously hammered I'd leave it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Used to work for a large European engineering company who had a base in Ireland...we often would get a gang of German engineers over to install various equipment and on a number of occasions they have taken beer bottles out to drink with the lunch in the canteen and were quite upset when they were told no drinks on site...
    Having a few halfs with lunch in the UK is the norm..

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

It is absolutely none of your business!

Unless they are putting people in danger by having a drink during lunch then don't say anything.

If I worked somewhere where there is no danger and found out a colleague went to management about me having a drink during lunch I'd hit the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

harr wrote:
    we often would get a gang of German engineers over to install various equipment and on a number of occasions they have taken beer bottles out to drink with the lunch in the canteen and were quite upset when they were told no drinks on site.

I worked for a German headquartered ICT company and their staff canteen in Munich had a beer tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

If the job requires deep thinking I would think that the ability of that after just one pint is really affected.

Though I wouldn't report it, I think that drinking during the lunch time is not reasonable. Days last 24 hours, more than enough for enjoying great beers outside of work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

vmb wrote: »
    If the job requires deep thinking I would think that the ability of that after just one pint is really affected.

Though I wouldn't report it, I think that drinking during the lunch time is not reasonable. Days last 24 hours, more than enough for enjoying great beers outside of work

Oh I don't know. I think more clearly after a few pints.
    I worked in Germany and drinking beer at lunch was normal. Just don't abuse it, which they don't tend to.
    If I was the OP I'd mind my own business. I

I'd really like to know why they feel compelled to report it

if it were me id consider the following. let's say you do report him/her or them and they get the boot, can you live with being the one who pulled the trigger??

if they're that bad, they'll be found out but I wouldn't like to be a person who's ever responsible
    for anyone being fired, just because it wasn't on!

Hey! Blank, I need you to fire this guy!! that's different, you're actively going about getting them into trouble, at the very least, they'll get a wrist slap and you'll be forever uninvited to same lunches and forever known as ratis maximus.

at worst, management are looking to sack and you've given them the ammo!!
    Just keep it to yourself really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Totally acceptable in advertising / PR.... or it certainly used to be. I remember the days of being wined and dined knowing that I didn't have to return to the office because lunch meant an afternoon.

don-draper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For me I wouldn't do it here but very much the norm in our UK office.

Depends on the company but I wouldn't be in a rush to report it if people are obviously not affecting their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

B-D-P-- wrote: »

However, I know its pretty norm to have ONE pint with your lunch in dub and Galway.
    Dont know about Galway, but its certainly not the norm to have a drink with your lunch in Dublin
    Cienciano wrote: »
    If it was me, I wouldn't drink myself. But definitely don't report them. It's not your job and you'll come across as an asshole
    A
    8-10 wrote: »
    For me I wouldn't do it here but very much the norm in our UK office.

Depends on the company but I wouldn't be in a rush to report it if people are obviously not affecting their work.
    greed. If its an issue, the manager would already know. If people are over indulging it should be evident

For me, as long as you are in the state where you are still legally allowed to drive, I don't see any issues with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement