Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on lunch break

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In the words of Coloumbo... just one more thing..

If you were with a bunch who were all drinking except for you, who was it that ratted? Hardly one of the lads who'd been drinking. Was it the bartender?
    Also, how did they put lives at risk? What job is it you do and how much did these outrageous renegades consume?!:eek:

You seem a little bit obsessed.

I work in the banking sector. Personal investments. The risk is that being intoxicated could affect our judgments and peoples' futures. A manager from another team saw us. I had a pint of blackcurrant which they assumed was a pint of cider. I was wearing my red jumper.

Mods can you close this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

morald wrote: »
    OP here.

Wow I wasn't expecting so many people to jump down my throat.

In a strange turn of events. Someone else "rat" on them (and me because they thought I was drinking as well) and they have been fired with immediate effect.

I have been disciplined for not bringing it to my managers' attention as it put peoples' lives and the company in danger and apparently I should have known better.

I was one of those advising you not to say anything. In spite if this turning out to be a bad move ultimately I'm glad you kept your job all the same. To be fair to us here we weren't given enough information, and some of the advice did include to refer to the company handbook.

Does disciplined mean warning, formal or otherwise or just a slap on the wrist?

I think the main thing here is that checking the rules of employment there is key. I think you were placed in an unenviable position there as a new person on a team when the others were out drinking. It sounded to me like it was something they were doing on a regular basis so I'm surprised they were found out so quickly. I think firing them for it is way OTT unless doing so places other lives at risk. We are still unclear as to what the role function entails.

In the words of Coloumbo... just one more thing..

If you were with a bunch who were all drinking except for you, who was it that ratted? Hardly one of the lads who'd been drinking. Was it the bartender?
    Also, how did they put lives at risk? What job is it you do and how much did these outrageous renegades consume?!:eek:

In the words of Blackadder "I smell something fishy, and I don't mean the contents of Baldricks Apple Crumble".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

morald wrote: »
    You seem a little bit obsessed.

I work in the banking sector. Personal investments. The risk is that being intoxicated could affect our judgments and peoples' futures. A manager from another team saw us. I had a pint of blackcurrant which they assumed was a pint of cider. I was wearing my red jumper.

Mods can you close this thread now.

How can someone confuse blackcurrant and cider? They're completely different colours! :confused::confused::confused:

How can someone confuse blackcurrant and cider? They're completely different colours! :confused::confused::confused:

That Kopperberg mixed berry looks like it I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

"I have been disciplined for not bringing it to my managers' attention as it put peoples' lives and the company in danger and apparently I should have known better."

"I work in the banking sector. Personal investments"

I laughed so hard as this story unravelled :) Nice to know all my preconceptions of people in banking thinking they're Gods has come true.

I've worked in investment management for about 10 years. I've had some various contracts which included zero alcohol policy, but most didn't include it, and I've not heard of an incident where it was ever enforced, particularly as quite a lot of work and client related issues involved entertaining, and lunches etc, most of which involved the option of alcohol. I think it was only ever included if it was proven to be problematic and they could then rein in an individual crossing the line,no no more than that.

I'd also not consider anyone's life at risk at the result of this. I thought you might have worked with heavy machinery or the use of vehicles to some description. A glass of wine at lunch isn't going to put anyone's pension at risk later that afternoon.

The end result of this sounds very harsh given the described issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

ligerdub wrote:
    I've worked in investment management for about 10 years. I've had some various contracts which included zero alcohol policy, but most didn't include it, and I've not heard of an incident where it was ever enforced, particularly as quite a lot of work and client related issues involved entertaining, and lunches etc, most of which involved the option of alcohol. I think it was only ever included if it was proven to be problematic and they could then rein in an individual crossing the line,no no more than that.

ligerdub wrote:
    I'd also not consider anyone's life at risk at the result of this. I thought you might have worked with heavy machinery or the use of vehicles to some description. A glass of wine at lunch isn't going to put anyone's pension at risk later that afternoon.

I laughed so hard as this story unravelled Nice to know all my preconceptions of people in banking thinking they're Gods has come true.

ligerdub wrote:

ligerdub wrote:

ligerdub wrote:
    The end result of this sounds very harsh given the described issue.

Just...... All of these! I suspected bull crap from the info given and I have to agree, it sounds more far fetched the longer it goes on. I dunno if it was just a case of sensationalising the situation or pure lies but jaysus its an odd one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Closed as the topic has concluded and people are likely to get bans if remaining open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement