Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working a second job

Options
  • 11-10-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I currently have a full time job and a part time job. My main employer is aware of this and have me a reference for the second job. However now all employees are being asked to fill in a form stating how many hours a week they work in all jobs in case they are breaking the European working time agreement. I actually don't do more than 48 hours but I'm wondering if employers have to fight to request this info, it feels very 1984 to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No employers do not have to fight to request it.

In fact, they are legally required to monitor to make sure you are not working more than 48 hours / week in total.

If you refused to fill in the form, they would be well justified in changing their policies to say that you cannot work a 2nd job, or cannot without specifying the hours in advance and having them approved.

Your 2nd job employer should also be monitoring to make sure you don't work more than 48 hours in total - they are equally liable as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I currently have a full time job and a part time job. My main employer is aware of this and have me a reference for the second job. However now all employees are being asked to fill in a form stating how many hours a week they work in all jobs in case they are breaking the European working time agreement. I actually don't do more than 48 hours but I'm wondering if employers have to fight to request this info, it feels very 1984 to me!

Its not a trick or anything, they are just making sure you are being safe at work.

nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Okay fair enough and thanks for the replies as I said I'm still under the 48 hours with my second job so happy out! I'm actually glad that they care <3<3<3

Advertisement