Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start in Australia

Options
  • 11-10-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a 23 year old girl, trying to plan a solo trip to Oz on a working holiday visa. I am planning to leave in March- in order to give me time to save up etc. - however, many people have tried to put me off going to Australia this time of year... saying that I am going into Australian winter, and there is not many jobs etc.
    Where would be the best place for me to start my trip in March? Am hoping to end up in Melbourne by November. Any advice is massively appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

March is the start of autumn , no shortage of work here , well Sydney anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I am a 23 year old .. trying to plan a solo trip to Oz on a working holiday visa .. in March .. to give me time to save .. many people have tried to put me off going to Australia this time of year... saying that I am going into Australian winter, and there is not many jobs etc.
    Where would be the best place for me to start my trip in March? Am hoping to end up in Melbourne by November. Any advice is massively appreciated.

Have any of these naysayers ever left the parish before?

I can't speak on jobs, but i can say forget everything you think you know about the seasons in Ireland. March is the middle of autumn, and is arguably the best time to be in Adelaide all year round, with the Adelaide fringe, a host of other events, and a whole bunch of new wanky bars that have opened up in the past two years, and some wicked beaches along the coast. My dad came here in March 2014 for a month, and it was fantastic - there were some hot days, but mostly the weather was great for him.

72358071.jpg

Beyond March, Adelaide is pretty dormant, which is why it makes a good starting point, and then have the opportunity to move north, east, or west, depending on what you're doing. Get to Broome, or Darwin or North East Queensland for the 'Winter', and you'll never see winter the same again. Port Douglas and Carins region is beautiful. Then, if you can manage to work your way back down towards Melbourne by Oct-Nov, you'll be heading straigt into summer again! :)

Back on the jobs front - I would say, if you think you can afford it (it's expensive here, you could spend all your savings in Adelaide alone if you stayed for all of Mad March! Compare food prices with online shopping) then do it - you might regret it otherwise! If you plan on working towards elegibility of a 2nd WHV, remember all of ACT, Tassie, NT, and SA are classed as regional, including the capital cities.

Plan for the worst, but hope for the best - caveat emptor, so to speak.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 travelgirl23

Thank you so much for all the info! Will have to do a bit more researching but all is very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

Thank you so much for all the info! Will have to do a bit more researching but all is very helpful :)

I'm also heading over in March and asked afew friends that are over and they said there still be plenty of work in and around Melbourne. From coffee shops to traffic control. Best of luck with your travels

• Registered Users Posts: 3 travelgirl23

Thanks so much boxermad, that helps a lot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement