Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farmyard manure question

Options
  • 11-10-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I have been given a load of farmyard manure
    From research on internet I don't think it's appropriately rotted yet

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process

Could I put a layer of it in raised beds and cover with carpet/mypex for the winter....I usually do this with the well rotted stuff

Any advice gladly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

When do you plan on planting with it?
    If it's not 'til the spring you've got another six months for it to break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Hi Gautama,
    i want it for the veg garden

i had intended making the veg garden bigger and have new raised beds in situ

it's probably better to wait until Spring to put it in the beds? Would it be a bad idea to put it in the beds now, and cover them?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

I have been given a load of farmyard manure
    From research on internet I don't think it's appropriately rotted yet

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process

Could I put a layer of it in raised beds and cover with carpet/mypex for the winter....I usually do this with the well rotted stuff

Any advice gladly appreciated

Yes, there is!--In about a months time,turn it with a fork,to aerate it,which will speed up the 'rotting process,-also (if not organic) you could add some ammonium nitrate(I.e. About 10kgs of bag nitrogen which would really speed up the breakdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

pee on it!

Advertisement