Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a ranking of Irish banks for human rights, environment, etc. policies?

• 11-10-2016 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm moving back to Ireland soon, and looking to open a bank account again. Probably a current account, savings, and maybe some other financial products too down the way.
    Can somebody recommend an ethical bank, or better yet, a report ranking the banks on their human rights and environmental record?
    Many thanks!
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you are looking for an ethical bank in Ireland, you better go back to the drawing board about moving here.

If you are coming from within the EU, keep your existing bank account, you don't need an Irish one for day to day banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2slack

I have the feeling my bank (Dutch bank Triodos) will charge me for direct debit payments to Irish phone companies, water, energy, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I would suggest you talk to them and ask because it if they don't charge you for direct debits from Dutch companies they can't charge you for Direct Debits from non-dutch companies.

Ireland is a very small market with 6 banks that do retail service with the most of the banks (part-)state owned and we don't judge them by the criteria that you outline.

You can compare bank accounts by a service provided by the government here: http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount

As you can see all banks will charge you for services unless you fulfill certain criteria.

AIB (Irish bank, part owned by the Irish Government)
    Bank of Ireland (Irish bank, part owned by the Irish Government)
    EBS (owned by AIB)
    KBC (Belgium Bank, they only have non-cash hubs, not real branches)
    Permanent TSB (Irish bank, part owned by the Irish Government)
    Ulster Bank (UK Bank)

So if you look at the human rights/environment record of the Irish Government you can very much discount the part owned Government once.
    Leave you with a British bank (ah well) and a Belgium bank.

So, again based on your criteria you might be better of talking to Triodos because there is no comparable social bank like that in Ireland.

There are still a couple of Irish Companies that don't like to accept direct debits from non-irish accounts but the numbers are dwindling, so you can perfectly living with an account from another EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2slack

Thanks a mil Yggr - that's very helpful! I'll ask my bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AIB is putting solar panels on their HQ in Dublin and I think they may help with funding of wind farms. Wind farms in Ireland are often funded by tax avoidance funds, so its not something banks commonly do.

If you want a bank with morals. You can discount a lot of the foreign ones, really you cant discount all foreign banks bar KBC. They have no issues repossessing investors properties and flogging them off for a fraction of their net worth to dodgy tax avoiding vulture funds. BOI and AIB have been quite respectful when it comes to people in financial difficulty. They havent been flogging off their mortgages to tax avoiding vulture funds to repossess. Any bank other than BOI PTSB, EBS, KBC and AIB has no morals in Ireland.

KBC is probably the best option for you. They are mostly free when it comes to charges and their customer service is pretty good. They are one of the few banks who actually lend if you want to get a mortgage/credit card in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement