Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi AC adapter rcommendations

Options
  • 11-10-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Relatively straight forward request on my part.

Looking for recommendations for a USB WiFi AC adapter to plug in my gaming PC.

As part of my contract renewal with Virgin hygave me the new hub router with AC. Want to grab an adapter to test the WiFi speed. No devices in my house are AC enabled.

Using.homeplugs getting bout 60mbps and want more.

To run a cable from router to the room(ideal solution) id need to pay someone so figure I'll try WiFi first.

Not looking to break the bank on this either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'll bump this as I'm also curious, using power lines, but not sure if AC Wireless would get me closer to the full speeds of the new VM Hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shlippery wrote: »
    I'll bump this as I'm also curious, using power lines, but not sure if AC Wireless would get me closer to the full speeds of the new VM Hub!

Well I've an iphone sixplus coming my way shortly. I know that has Wireless AC so was going to use that as a test to see what sort of connectivity and signal I'll get from the room.

I also did some asking around and got some quotes of between 30-40 euro for an electrician to come out and run Cat6 form router downstairs to my PC room and terminate at a socket. Not as expensive as I thought. Granted I need to provide the cabling.

But that might be something I pull the trigger on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've a TPLink Archer USB 801.11ac in my laptop, connected to a USB 3 port, and can easily get max speed from my Virgin 120 connection.

Advertisement