Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Management Posts

Options
  • 11-10-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Great to see that the issue of work overload on school management has been partially addressed in the Budget.

Additional DP in schools with 700+ students from September 2017. Principals and their Deputy in many schools will be delighted that the lobbying of their representative bodies has paid off.

It will also re introduce the element of potential promotion into some schools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I love the line in the IT about it not applying to ASTI schools.

Hard to see ASTI Management members not pushing for LRA even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Where did it say about it not applying to ASTI schools? I read Richard Bruton's full speech and didn't see anything about that. What's the "IT" that you're referring to? Anyone know anymore about the middle management reintroduction? Must be posts back under a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

tosh999 wrote: »
    Great to see that the issue of work overload on school management has been partially addressed in the Budget.

Additional DP in schools with 700+ students from September 2017. Principals and their Deputy in many schools will be delighted that the lobbying of their representative bodies has paid off.

It will also re introduce the element of potential promotion into some schools.

Was there any specific details on any of the above, it all seemed very general to me. Few more teachers etc but no details.

There will also be funding to “strengthen school leadership”, such as additional deputy principal posts and the restoration of middle-management posts from next September. The deputy principal posts will be provided for in schools with enrolments of 700 students and over, totalling 170 posts.

ASTI schools, however, will not benefit from these measures unless the union signs up to the Lansdowne Road agreement, Mr Bruton confirmed.
    Significant resources will be also invested in helping to train teachers in delivering junior-cycle reforms. To ensure class contact time is not reduced, the equivalent of some 550 whole-time posts will be allocated.

Again, ASTI schools will not benefit from these measures unless it drops its opposition to junior-cycle reform.

Mr Bruton confirmed the estimates for next year are based on the assumption that the union will both sign up to the reforms and the Lansdowne Road agreement.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/budget-2017-extra-funds-for-higher-education-after-decade-of-cuts-1.2823754

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

• Advertisement

You'd think so but I'd say at this point they're hoping that if they stress it enough, it'll be a non-event.

Really looking forward to ballot result, hoping it's out tomorrow, be great to see withdrawal of S&S sanctioned by meeting on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the JMB came out now saying voluntary sector schools badly need these posts and urging the ASTI to come to their senses, without even calling into question the ethics of the decision to exclude those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Actual department press release here
    An additional €7.75 million will be provided to strengthen school leadership. Additional deputy principal posts will be provided for in schools with enrolments of 700 students and over, totalling 170 posts. Measures to commence the restoration of middle management posts will be introduced in the primary and post-primary sectors in September 2017. The aim is to contribute to the further development of a distributed leadership model in schools, involving the establishment and facilitation of leadership teams with appropriately defined and shared responsibilities for areas such as curriculum and learning, student support and wellbeing,school improvement and leadership and development of staff teams

I'd say they're hoping the situation will be resolved by Sept 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Wow, that's morally amazing. Refusing to provide budgeted for counselling and resource hours to those most vulnerable just because teachers aren't happy that post 2011 earn a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

gavwaldo wrote: »
    Wow, that's morally amazing. Refusing to provide budgeted for counselling and resource hours to those most vulnerable just because teachers aren't happy that post 2011 earn a pittance.

I think the guidance will be in the allocation for all schools because this year all schools got it. Its just being allocated to guidance now rather than in the main allocation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement