Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach kids on a J1?

Options
  • 11-10-2016 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, I was reading this thread and although it answered some the questions I had, there's a few things I'm not entirely sure on still.
    I'm looking to move to New York after I finish my degree. I will have the honors degree completed May 2019 with the idea of moving that September after I have saved etc.
    The degree I'm studying is Music Technology and Production.

I've been browsing Craigslist recently to get a sort of taste of the options will be available in my field in New York and one idea jumped out more than all the others. I've seen there is an after school program in Brooklyn, looking for music producers to teach Grade 6-8 kids music and music production etc. It's paid work, not an internship.

At the moment, I work for Coláiste Lurgan in the summer, doing practically the exact same thing, working on music with children and teenagers.
    Personally, I feel I'd be more than suitable in terms of experience to take on this job in NY, but what are the realities of the whole situation? I accept that my field is not a specialty field in the traditional sense, but not everyone can walk into a room, and produce a finished recorded piece of music, that is good. I might have a case that the company that potentially employs me can say that they need me in particular? (pushing it, I know)

I'm most likely not eligible to teach kids while on a J1, or a graduate Visa anyway, correct?
    The other thing that has always hung over my head, I have a conviction for drugs possession which I received in 2005 or 2006. It's my only conviction and I've travelled to the States since without a problem.

Anybody that can shed light on any of my queries above is appreciated a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've split your post into its own thread as the other one was old.
    Not sure on full time teaching kids in a school, but you could definitely do something like camp counsellor on a J1.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

The drug conviction might be an issue. Minimum you will most likely need a waiver, worst case it could lead to a denial. This would be something where it might be a good idea to talk with an immigration attorney before applying for a visa as a visa denial will cause more issues down the line should you ever want to apply for another visa again, including the ESTA.

Advertisement