Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One month cig free - weight gain

• 11-10-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Sorry, chubby fingers! I didn't mean to submit the previous thread.. if a mod could delete it that would be great, thanks.

As per the title, I have reached the one month mark cigarette free. It feels great not having to wash my hands a million times a day, drown myself in perfume for fear my colleagues would judge me, spending a fortune on lattes (as I could only smoke with a drink in my hand, whether it be a soft drink, a coffee, or an alcoholic beverage), among many other benefits.

The thing is though, I have put on about a stone in 4 weeks, no exaggeration. I am very down over it as my clothes are beginning to feel very tight. I am now of the mindset 'was it even beneficial to give up smoking?'.

I would love to hear if anyone else found themselves in this situation as it's beginning to put me very down.

Thanks for reading.
    HW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Sounds like you've replaced smoking with snacking. Maybe try snack on healthier things like Brazil nuts, almonds, carrot sticks, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Saipanne wrote: »
    Sounds like you've replaced smoking with snacking. Maybe try snack on healthier things like Brazil nuts, almonds, carrot sticks, etc?

I have Saipanne. That's much much easier said than done. I'd love to know if this is common amongst ex smokers and if so, does it tend to pass or how have people handled it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I have Saipanne. That's much much easier said than done. I'd love to know if this is common amongst ex smokers and if so, does it tend to pass or how have people handled it?

Yup. The munchies sucks. It doesnt really pass. You have to come upwith a way to manage it, and fast. Drink water. I find a pint of water, or 2, fills up the stomach n reduces cravings for both fags n food. Need to exercise. I recommend crossfit, but its expensive. Get moving any way. More intense the better. Running good nuff. I find it boring but youll feel great. Barbells and olympic lifting is brilliant and varied.
    Water. Use water as your snack alternative. Portion reduction n fresh healthy foods. Getting healthy isnt cheap, but youll feel great, youll work to a higher level and generally be more content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I second water as an alternative to snacking! Bring a big bottle to work and make sure you always have a big glass to hand at home. Everytime you want a cig, sip it. Everytime you want a snack, sip it. The cravings will pass.

Changing your routine is another thing, I would always go for a cig after my lunch in the canteen at work so I started bringing in a lunch and stopped going to the canteen. I would try go for a short walk outside afterwards, even just around the building.

It is totally worth giving them up, I'm over 4 years off them now and it was the best thing I ever did. Keep at it, it's tough but at the end of the day it will pay off! Best of luck x

Advertisement