Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Cork records?

• 11-10-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

According to death records in Australia, William Blackburn married Sarah Watson in Cork City in 1842. Of course the marriage year or place may be incorrect. The known children of this couple were born in c1864 & c1867 in NSW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Do you know what denomination this couple were ?

1901 census shows about 150 Watson individuals in Co. Cork, about a third are Catholic, just over 70 Church of Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I am fairly sure that William was RC but with Sarah's surname, it is possible that she might not have been. So I should be checking if Church of Ireland records are available. Any idea of the names of parishes in Cork city?
    According to William's death cert 1915, aged 86, he was born in Limerick, informant was granddaughter who had been living with him since 1904. Sarah died in 1908, and the DCt states that she married William in Cork city in 1842, informant was William. Obviously if he were born in 1829, it is unlikely that they got married in 1842. They were both buried in Catholic cemetery, NSW.

Thanks for any assistance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Montgo, if you check a copy of Tracing your Cork Ancestors, I think that will have the best summary. Used in conjunction with Brian Mitchell's Genealogical Atlas of Ireland, you'll be able to work out all the parishes that might be relevant.

National Library will have RC Cork city parishes, unindexed but used in conjunction with the database on FMP/Ancestry, you should get hits. Some Cork city parishes are on Rootsireland. Afaik, there's none on irishgenealogy.ie. There's a few more on http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/genealogy/ but I know there are a few that are not online anywhere.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

CofI parishes usually follow the same boundaries as the civil parishes, for details on what's available have a look at the recent RCB Library/IGRS list of parish record, see page 30 in the pdf document for Cork City.

not many CofI records online for Cork city that I know of...

Many thanks for info and links.

I don't have much confidence in finding the marriage record but ever hopeful:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The d

For Cork city the main C of I church in the 1840's would have been St. Annes Shandon on the northside and St Finbarre's on the S.side. For RCs it was St. Mary's, ("the Cathedral" - great records but mainly awfuly writing) or possibly St Pauls. Were I to start a 'trawl' those places are where I'd begin.

That's great, thanks for additional info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

If they were Church of Ireland and the records survive it may be worth contacting the Cobh Genealogical Project. http://cork.anglican.org/resources/genealogy/

Also there are no Cork city RC parishes on rootsireland.ie. There are two Cork city RC parishes on IrishGenealogy.ie, South Parish and SS Peter and Pauls.

thx again.
    Since William & Susan's children were born in the 1860s in Australia, it seems odd that they would have married in 1842! I suppose t is possible that had children in Ireland who died before immigrating. According to Susan's death cert, there was only 1 son living and 2 children desceased.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this last night …..If they married in 1842, wife would have been at least 18, so born in 1824. That would suggest she was at least 42 in 1864 and 45 in ’67, so those are improbable ages for childbirth, particularly in an era when life expectancy was much shorter. I’d wonder if they married much later and took the boat soon after.

My GGgranduncle from Cork went out there in 1862. Wif's gggu went out as a priest to minister the huge number of his parishioners that left - same era. Australia was causing quite a ‘stir’ in the media in the 1850’s due to post-famine economics, the opportunity to obtain cheap land and the discovery of goldfields. It also was the decade when transportation ceased and the pressure was on for non-criminal immigrants.

We had a thread on Australian research here that might be useful. Could the best approach be to concentrate on the Australian records and see if they could provide a better link to Cork?

Advertisement