Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a course

Options
  • 11-10-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all , I've just started a new job about 5 weeks ago. Part of the work is an area I have no experience in so I decided I would do a part time course. It starts in October and it's 2.5k. Should I ask my employer for a contribution to wards the fees

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No harm asking if its personal development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

Yes.

Worst they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Does the employer think you already have the skills, and was that impression formed during the interviewing process?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 pants20

Dardania wrote: »
    Does the employer think you already have the skills, and was that impression formed during the interviewing process?

No I made it very clear during the interview that I had no experience in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

pants20 wrote: »
    No I made it very clear during the interview that I had no experience in the area

In which case, go for it.

Although, my instinct from being in similar positions in the past is to focus less on a specific course / schedule, and instead discuss a broader development plan that this course could be part of.

As the employer hired you without those skills, they may not need you to have those skills soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Try and find out if anyone else on the team has done it and if they were supported financially with it. It makes it easier to discuss if you have prior knowledge and expectations.

I say go for it though, even if it's a case of you pay for it now but they reimburse you if you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dardania wrote: »
    In which case, go for it.

Although, my instinct from being in similar positions in the past is to focus less on a specific course / schedule, and instead discuss a broader development plan that this course could be part of.

As the employer hired you without those skills, they may not need you to have those skills soon...

Would agree with the above.

5 weeks would be early for an employer to start signing off of upskilling already. Typically where I've worked it's been a year employment as a minimum, then upskilling can take place where the company will cover costs. Some places I've heard six months. 5 weeks sounds extremely early.

Obviously as said above worst that can be said is no. Probably worse is maybe a manager reacting "Ok your only in the door, just get the head down on what your meant to be doing and don't be worrying about courses". I'd probably raise an eyebrow is a new hire after a month of starting was coming looking asking about courses.

Although I'd be hiring staff on the pretence they were qualified for what I wanted.

As also said above, might be worth checking if what your looking to do course wise is relevant and required. Like i sincerely hope you havn't dropped 2.5k on a course and are going to get the hump if you get a no. But fairplay regardless for having that initiative.

Advertisement